What is SATAN, who is he?

What (or who) is Satan?

• A being that exists in reality. Satan is real.

• Satan is merely a symbol of evil.

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolitarySoul

All Truth is God's Truth
Jan 8, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
✟18,087.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
I believe he is an actual being because the Bible talks about him being the fallen angel from Heaven. Maybe not neccissarily a physical being as we would call it though. I mean I don't think we could dig to the center of the earth and find him sitting there or anything :p, but I believe he's more than just a symbol of evil.

Upvote 0

Taure

May 20, 2005
London
✟949.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just as the four horsemen of the apocalypse aren't actually real men riding horses but are instead athopomorphic personifications (of death, war, famine and pestilence) used as a literary device to explain abstract concepts in a simple way, so too Satan is a literary device created to show the way evil effects the world and humanity

Evil isn't sentient - it is something that we as humans perform. Using Satan as a scapegoat is a bit feeble.

I wouldn't quite say that Satan was merely a symbol of evil though - evil is quite something to be a symbol of, and in no way is it merely.

Upvote 0

in2Nas

...using the brain God gave me.
Jul 7, 2005
New Mexico
✟16,039.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe he is an actual being because the Bible talks about him being the fallen angel from Heaven. Maybe not neccissarily a physical being as we would call it though. I mean I don't think we could dig to the center of the earth and find him sitting there or anything :p, but I believe he's more than just a symbol of evil.

Good assessment. I'm somewhere along these lines.

Upvote 0

repentant

Orthodoxy: Debunking heretics since 33 A.D.
Sep 2, 2005
US of A
✟8,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just as the four horsemen of the apocalypse aren't actually real men riding horses but are instead athopomorphic personifications (of death, war, famine and pestilence) used as a literary device to explain abstract concepts in a simple way, so too Satan is a literary device created to show the way evil effects the world and humanity

Evil isn't sentient - it is something that we as humans perform. Using Satan as a scapegoat is a bit feeble.

I wouldn't quite say that Satan was merely a symbol of evil though - evil is quite something to be a symbol of, and in no way is it merely.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Upvote 0

Taure

May 20, 2005
London
✟949.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He was created by god but like humans was given free will and turned away.

So if Angels have free will, and some of then turned away, then why can some angels stay in heaven with God, without needing salvation from their own Jesus figure? For all humans have free will, and some turned away (Adam and Eve, if they are real that is - even if they aren't they can still represent those humans who did turn away), and this for some reason meant that all humanity was doomed, and we needed Jesus for our salvation.

Why didn't the same thing happen to angels when their Adam and Eve - Satan - turned away?

It didn't, so we must assume that angels don't have free will like humans. The bible seems to back this up: in biblical events angels are simply God's messengers.

Of course, this creates this problem:

Satan, is part of God's creation.God controls Satan, and uses him for his own purpose.

This would imply that God is directly and actively responsible for evil - something that most Christians would reject.

Far better to say that Satan represents human evil. When Jesus curses the devil, he is cursing the concept of evil. When Satan is cast out of heaven, it is showing that heaven is a place without evil. When we are told to fight against the devil, we are being told to resist evil and temptation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Moriah_Conquering_Wind

Mar 6, 2006
✟34,174.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Quote:
Satan, is part of God's creation.God controls Satan, and uses him for his own purpose.

This would imply that God is directly and actively responsible for evil - something that most Christians would reject.

But something God Himself is willing to take responsibility for, at least, nonetheless:
Isaiah 45:7
[bible]Isaiah 45:7[/bible]

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.