What is the biblical definition of the image of the beast in Revelation 13?

TribulationSigns

Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2017
Colorado
✟415,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Colossians 1:14-15
  • "In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
  • Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:"

Revelation 16:2
  • "And the first went, and poured out his vial upon the earth; and there fell a noisome and grievous sore upon the men which had the mark of the beast, and upon them which worshipped his image."
Whether it is the image [eikon] of Christ or the image [eikon] of the beast, it is signifying the representation or likeness of that thing. For example, Scripture tells us Christ is the exact "image" of God. If we worship Christ, we are worshipping God. Likewise, the "image" of the beast is that which represents or is a likeness of Satan. If we worship the image or that which is like Satan, we worship Satan. Colossians 1 tells us Christ is the image of God, and it is just to worship that image. The beast is the image of Satan, and it is unrighteous to worship that image.

By the Spirit, true believers are conformed to God's image, and the likeness or image of the beast is what ALL the wicked by nature conform to. By nature, they worship him because they are ruled over by him as we are by Christ, and they are slaves to him. Receiving the mark, name or number of the beast signifies professing servants of God have gone into apostasy, a falling away of God's people to the abominations taking place in the holy place.

Matthew 24:15-16
  • "When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand: )
  • Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:"
Those who do not flee are (or will be) deceived and marked of Satan's carnal congregation (the beast) as that is "signifying" they belong to him. Just as God of old marked His people on the forehead in the midst of abominations in His holy city "signifying" they belong to Him. God was painting a spiritual picture for us that we might compare Scripture with Scripture and come to the truth of the matter. Today's church really needs to ask itself this pertinent question. Are they of the likenes of Christ who represents love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness and temperance--or are we worshiping him who represents greed, unfaithfulness, hatred, uncleanness, lust, idolatry, spiritual drunkenness, envying, and murder? What image is really beloved and do they really worship? What spirit are they really in? Is it that of Christ in obedience or is it really that spirit of the adversary in disobedience (Ephesians 2:2)? Are we enamored with the kingdoms of this world (Romans 12:2), or the world to come (Mark 10:30). That determines who we worship, serve and whose image we seek after!

Matthew 4:8-10
  • "Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
  • And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
  • Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve."
Satan offers the same temptation to us today, and we either are drawn to or adapt to his image or Christ's. For just as true believers, as servants of God, are conformed to the image [eikon] or likeness of Christ (Romans 8:29) to worship him, so in this same way the servants of Satan (the pseudo or anti-christ) are conformed to his image [eikon] or likeness to worship him. Unfortunately, as I see it here, some people think that people will be literally worshipping a physical statue, but as we worship the Lord in spirit and truth conforming to His image, so the wicked worship Satan in spirit and lies, conforming to his image. Selah! We all either serve one master or the other, there is no in-between or gray area. If we are opposed to the doctrines of Christ, we are serving the beast and are conformed to worship his image. Just as we have the name of Christ as Christian spiritually upon us as His children, they have the name of the beast spiritually upon them as children of the Devil. Just as we are marked of God unto salvation, so they are marked of the beast unto damnation.

Ezekiel 9:4
  • "And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof."
There is nothing new under the sun saith the preacher. God marked His servants of old who cried over the abominations of His people in the holy city. Not with physical mark or seal. SPIRITUAL! The faithful in His congregation today are spiritually marked in their forehead illustrating they are the true servants bought with a price by Christ. Likewise, Satan spiritually marks his own, where they become his children, with his name or moniker and number. The image of the beast is a portrait of the "exact opposite" of the body of Christ, the Temple of Christ, the image of Christ. We worship in either one likeness or in the other. We are under one "representation" of one kingdom or the other. The Kingdom of Christ or the kingdom of the beast.

So then, I believe that the image of the beast signifies being "like" Satan, as those who don't worship Christ or who don't conform to His image, worship and conform to the antichrist's image. The beast from the bottomless pit is the spirit of evil, the likeness of Satan, whom the unfaithful worship.

There you go!

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

• "And the first went, and poured out his vial upon the earth; and there fell a noisome and grievous sore upon the men which had the mark of the beast, and upon them which worshipped his image."
Whether it is the image [eikon] of Christ or the image [eikon] of the beast, it is signifying the representation or likeness of that thing. For example, Scripture tells us Christ is the exact "image" of God. If we worship Christ, we are worshipping God. Likewise, the "image" of the beast is that which represents or is a likeness of Satan. If we worship the image or that which is like Satan, we worship Satan. Colossians 1 tells us Christ is the image of God, and it is just to worship that image. The beast is the image of Satan, and it is unrighteous to worship that image.

By the Spirit, true believers are conformed to God's image, and the likeness or image of the beast is what ALL the wicked by nature conform to. By nature, they worship him because they are ruled over by him as we are by Christ, and they are slaves to him. Receiving the mark, name or number of the beast signifies professing servants of God have gone into apostasy, a falling away of God's people to the abominations taking place in the holy place.

• "When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand: )
Those who do not flee are (or will be) deceived and marked of Satan's carnal congregation (the beast) as that is "signifying" they belong to him. Just as God of old marked His people on the forehead in the midst of abominations in His holy city "signifying" they belong to Him. God was painting a spiritual picture for us that we might compare Scripture with Scripture and come to the truth of the matter. Today's church really needs to ask itself this pertinent question. Are they of the likenes of Christ who represents love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness and temperance--or are we worshiping him who represents greed, unfaithfulness, hatred, uncleanness, lust, idolatry, spiritual drunkenness, envying, and murder? What image is really beloved and do they really worship? What spirit are they really in? Is it that of Christ in obedience or is it really that spirit of the adversary in disobedience (Ephesians 2:2)? Are we enamored with the kingdoms of this world (Romans 12:2), or the world to come (Mark 10:30). That determines who we worship, serve and whose image we seek after!

• "Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
  • And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
  • Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve."
Satan offers the same temptation to us today, and we either are drawn to or adapt to his image or Christ's. For just as true believers, as servants of God, are conformed to the image [eikon] or likeness of Christ (Romans 8:29) to worship him, so in this same way the servants of Satan (the pseudo or anti-christ) are conformed to his image [eikon] or likeness to worship him. Unfortunately, as I see it here, some people think that people will be literally worshipping a physical statue, but as we worship the Lord in spirit and truth conforming to His image, so the wicked worship Satan in spirit and lies, conforming to his image. Selah! We all either serve one master or the other, there is no in-between or gray area. If we are opposed to the doctrines of Christ, we are serving the beast and are conformed to worship his image. Just as we have the name of Christ as Christian spiritually upon us as His children, they have the name of the beast spiritually upon them as children of the Devil. Just as we are marked of God unto salvation, so they are marked of the beast unto damnation.

• "And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof."
There is nothing new under the sun saith the preacher. God marked His servants of old who cried over the abominations of His people in the holy city. Not with physical mark or seal. SPIRITUAL! The faithful in His congregation today are spiritually marked in their forehead illustrating they are the true servants bought with a price by Christ. Likewise, Satan spiritually marks his own, where they become his children, with his name or moniker and number. The image of the beast is a portrait of the "exact opposite" of the body of Christ, the Temple of Christ, the image of Christ. We worship in either one likeness or in the other. We are under one "representation" of one kingdom or the other. The Kingdom of Christ or the kingdom of the beast.

So then, I believe that the image of the beast signifies being "like" Satan, as those who don't worship Christ or who don't conform to His image, worship and conform to the antichrist's image. The beast from the bottomless pit is the spirit of evil, the likeness of Satan, whom the unfaithful worship.

There you go!

Regardless how one might reason what the image of the beast is, we then can't ignore any of the following, though. As if none of the following is relevant.

Revelation 13:1 And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.

Revelation 13:3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.
4 And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?

Revelation 13:11 And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.
12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.
13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,
14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.
15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.
16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Until what I have submitted here is fulfilled first, there is no image of the beast to worship or not worship in the meantime.

Let's consider this in verse 14---saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live---in light of the following recorded in Revelation 17.

Revelation 17:8 The beast that thou sawest was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition: and they that dwell on the earth shall wonder, whose names were not written in the book of life from the foundation of the world, when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my view is, from John's perspective at the time of these visions, was, and is not; and shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, this is meaning past, present, and future. The present pertaining to is not, the future pertaining to shall ascend out of the bottomless pit, and go into perdition

Let's label them like such.

A) was = past

B) is not = present

C) shall ascend out of the bottomless pit = future

Next let's factor in the following from Revelation 13:14---saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live

Which time period should we assume that fits? A), B), or C)? Obviously, C). Anyone that might disagree, I hope they can produce a convincing argument in order to prove that, otherwise they have nothing more than an opinion, rather than something that proves that that in Revelation 13:14 is not meaning during C), it is meaning during A) or maybe even B).

Which then raises another question since the martyrs per the following in Revelation 20:4, they are martyred for not worshiping it's image---which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands(Revelation 20:4).

When should we assume they are martyred for refusing to worship it's image? Keeping in mind what is recorded in Revelation 13:14 that I brought up. Are they martyred for refusing to worship it's image, during A), B), or C)? Obviously, during C). Anyone that might disagree, you then have to explain why Scripture does not interpret Scripture in this case. Meaning why doesn't Revelation 13 interpret for us as to why and during what period of time these are martyred for refusing to worship it's image. Why Revelation 13 is not telling us that it is after what I submitted via Revelation 13:14, being the era of time they are martyred during?

Upvote 0

TribulationSigns

Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2017
Colorado
✟415,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Regardless how one might reason what the image of the beast is, we then can't ignore any of the following, though. As if none of the following is relevant.

Revelation 13:1 And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.

Revelation 13:3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.
4 And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?

Before I discuss the rest of your post, I would rather that you first need to explain to us exactly what Revelation 13:1-3 talked about. Who is the beast that came out of the sea? What do his seven heads represent? How did one of the heads get a fatal wound? And how it was healed? When did the fatal wound and healing take place? I want to see if you understand these first before discussing Revelation 17:8 and the martyrs who refused to worship the beast and his image.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Before I discuss the rest of your post, I would rather that you first need to explain to us exactly what Revelation 13:1-3 talked about. Who is the beast that came out of the sea? What do his seven heads represent? How did one of the heads get a fatal wound? And how it was healed? When did the fatal wound and healing take place? I want to see if you understand these first before discussing Revelation 17:8 and the martyrs who refused to worship the beast and his image.

Thanks.

What I see as difficult with this, the beast has 7 heads, and that only one of it's heads, thus not all 7 heads, has a deadly wound that is healed. So, it's not like all 7 heads have a deadly wound and all 7 heads are healed. Why just one head then? If we take this deadly wound to have happened at the cross, for example, why would that only affect one head rather than all 7 heads? Obviously, in regards to this, I have more questions than answers. But even so, until all of those things are fulfilled first, that I brought up involving Revelation 13 per my first post, there can't be an image to the beast to worship or not worship in the meantime. Also keeping in mind that the image made, it is of the first beast an image to the beast is made, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

Plus, we have to factor in the 7 vials of wrath. The first vial is poured out upon the men which had the mark of the beast, and upon them which worshipped his image. Which obviously means they all have to be living during the same era of time since it is preposterous that the vials of wrath get poured out hundreds, maybe even thousands of different times, throughout the 2000 years of church history. And what image is it that these in Revelation 16:2 are worshiping? How can it not be this one---that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live(Revelation 13:14) ?

which then means per the following---which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands(Revelation 20:4)---this was their fate duriing the era of time Revelation 16:2 is involving---and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed(Revelation 13:15)

Where Revelation 20:4 then tells us that the 42 month reign of the beast, since that is what both Revelation 13:14 and Revelation 13:15 are involving, that this is meaning before the thousand years not after the thousand years, the fact they are not martyred after the thousand years after satan is loosed, they are already martyred before he is loosed, and that the beast has to ascend out of the pit in order for them to be martyred for the reasons they are.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There you go!
I agree. And I think 1 John 4 proves this out. The "beast system" is all non-believers, those who are not born again.
1 John 4:2-3 KJV
2. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
3. And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Upvote 0

TribulationSigns

Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2017
Colorado
✟415,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What I see as difficult with this

It is NOT difficult unless one comes with the Spirit of Christ to be able to spiritually discern what God actually talked about.

, the beast has 7 heads, and that only one of it's heads, thus not all 7 heads, has a deadly wound that is healed.

Time Out. I see that you have not answered the key questions I had for you. For example, WHAT do the "heads" represent in Scripture? You won't know the answer to why one head, instead of all heads, is wounded and healed UNTIL you first know what the head signifies! This is why you came up with many questions than answers on the rest unless you first tackle what the meaning of the head God talked about. Don't end up like the others who took the easy way by labeling the heads with some literal nation, human kings, or world regions or whatever. God did not say this. So... can you find out what the beast's head signifies in Scripture, DavidPT? And also the number seven has a spiritual signification as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Time Out. I see that you have not answered the key questions I had for you. For example, WHAT do the "heads" represent in Scripture? You won't know the answer to why one head, instead of all heads, is wounded and healed UNTIL you first know what the head signifies! This is why you came up with many questions than answers on the rest unless you first tackle what the meaning of the head God talked about. Don't end up like the others who took the easy way by labeling the heads with some literal nation, human kings, or world regions or whatever. God did not say this. So... can you find out what the beast's head signifies in Scripture, DavidPT? And also the number seven has a spiritual signification as well.

Here's an idea, if you allegedly know all the answers to all of those things, and that I have already admitted that I don't, instead of insisting I do something I can't, why don't you simply tell me the answers to all of those things? Otherwise, we are not going to get anywhere in this discussion. But even if you do that, you still don't need to ignore any of the following I submit below, as if none of that is relevant.

When it comes to Amils, why is chronology relevant sometimes, and sometimes it isn't? Take the following for example, Christ's ascension. Obviously, chronology is relevant, since, in order to ascend, the following events have to chronologically precede it. Initially He is in heaven. Then He leaves heaven, thus is born on earth. He lives on earth for awhile then dies on earth and then is resurrected from the dead. Then some days later He ascends back to heaven. Imagine trying to make sense out of His ascension without considering chronology.

In the same way, per the following, chronology has to be relevant---which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands(Revelation 20:4). There has to be a particular time period that explains when they are martyred. How can what is recorded in Revelation 13 not be involving this time period? Which then means, in order for these to be martyred for the reasons they are, the beast has to ascend out of the pit first. Where one of it's heads has a deadly wound that is healed. And that a 2nd beast has to ascend out of the earth then have those on earth make an image to the first beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

It doesn't matter what all that might look like when it is being fulfilled. What matters is, it has to be fulfilled before there can even be any saints being martyred for refusing to worship it's image. And that these martyrs in question per Revelation 20:4 are martyred prior to satan being loosed from the pit, and that they are martyred during the 42 month reign of the beast, logically then, the 42 month reign of the beast can't fit after the thousand years in that case. And this presents a problem for Amil since the 42 month reign has to precede the 2nd coming. It can't do that unless the 42 months can fit after the thousand years expire. Except Revelation 20:4 is already proving it can't.

As to Premil this is not a problem. Because by placing the 42 months prior to the beginning of the thousand years is to place the 42 month reign where it logically fits, in this end of this age just prior to the 2nd coming.

Upvote 0

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟187,250.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

I do hope you're not arguing that a symbolic marking of the wicked as servants of satan negates the reality of a physical mark that the False Prophet will enforce on the world in the future.

Upvote 0

TribulationSigns

Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2017
Colorado
✟415,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I do hope you're not arguing that a symbolic marking of the wicked as servants of satan negates the reality of a physical mark that the False Prophet will enforce on the world in the future.

Oh? A physical mark? Scripture proof please!

Upvote 0

Second Time is the Charm

Feb 17, 2023
The South
✟14,121.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It has to be a physical mark that allows an individual to buy and sell. You can't do that with a symbolic mark.

Revelation 13:16 It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads, 17 so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟187,250.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Rev 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

The fact we are given the specific part of the body where the mark will be placed suggests it will be physical. It has been argued that it will be an implanted micro-chip which might well be true. A microchip is physical but if that's not good enough for you then, I'd say that until that day comes, your insistence that it will be invisible (or did you mean it'll be symbolic?) is as good as my assumption that it's physical as you can't prove it's invisible anymore than I can prove mine!

Upvote 0

alertandawake

Aug 20, 2017
Sydney
✟56,270.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here is something worth thinking on, we have 5 components - The dragon, first beast, second beast, the image of the beast and the mark of the beast. Imagine each of these 5 components as fingers of part of the same hand. What is it that all these components have in common with each other? Has to be a practical application, something that is used to control people.

Upvote 0