United States
✟70,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I've read all the NT and I still can't figure out what love is. I read about it but it's just words on a page, I don't get it. Jesus died for me and I can't figure out what that means. He loves me but what is love? I'm supposed to feel loved but what does that mean, how do I do that? I went through a lesson about God's love for us and how he fully knows us and wants good things for us and never forgets us. But I still feel confused.

What if I don't have saving faith even after I've prayed and asked for it? What more can I do?

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,699.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Real, true, love is when you are willing to sacrifice yourself - could be money, time, whatever - to make another happy. You know, like when parents sacrifice for their children. Love can mean, sometimes, putting yourself on the line to say hard things (graciously of course). That's sacrificial giving, too. The deepest love of all is when you love others as you love yourself, maybe more.

Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Words are very limiting they give us concepts , understanding , but until you have experienced love then you will know.God's love is unconditional as opposed to human love that has conditions on it .If you do this then I will love you , or it seeks to own someone as long as your mine then I will love you. Jesus could have called angels to free himself when he was hanging on that cross , but he didn't .Because there is no greater love than to lay down your life for another.

Upvote 0

Porpoise

Aug 8, 2018
United States
✟70,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Real, true, love is when you are willing to sacrifice yourself - could be money, time, whatever - to make another happy. You know, like when parents sacrifice for their children. Love can mean, sometimes, putting yourself on the line to say hard things (graciously of course). That's sacrificial giving, too. The deepest love of all is when you love others as you love yourself, maybe more.

What if someone dies for you because it's the right thing to do or because it's their duty, but they don't actually care about your feelings, don't really like you, get annoyed by you, etc. But since they're nice people, they want you to have a good life and don't want bad things to happen to you. Is that love?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I've read all the NT and I still can't figure out what love is. I read about it but it's just words on a page, I don't get it. Jesus died for me and I can't figure out what that means. He loves me but what is love? I'm supposed to feel loved but what does that mean, how do I do that? I went through a lesson about God's love for us and how he fully knows us and wants good things for us and never forgets us. But I still feel confused.

What if I don't have saving faith even after I've prayed and asked for it? What more can I do?
1 Corinthians 13 spells it out pretty much.

The steps to conversion to Christ are as follows:
1. Accept that you are a condemned sinner without hope.
2. Believe that Jesus died on the cross to take away your sins and that He rose again to give you eternal life.
3. Accept Jesus as your Saviour and Lord.
4. Throw out of your life any of the works of the flesh that Paul describes in Galatians 5, and Start walking in the Spirit according to the fruit of the Spirit described in the same chapter.
5. Get baptised in the Name of Jesus.

Peter said in Acts 2, "Repent and be baptised in the Name of Jesus, and you shall receive the baptism with the Holy Spirit".
This is the promise to you. Believe the promise before you have any feelings. You may not feel saved, and you don't have to be. All you need to do is go through the steps of faith and then decide to believe the promise. Your prayer will now be, "I have gone through the steps of faith, and I believe the promise. Thank you Lord for saving me! I now receive the promised Holy Spirit into my life. I am now Your child and Jesus is my brother!"

To support your faith and assist you to grow, you will need to talk to God about everything in your life that you want Him to know (the good, bad and ugly), that is called confession. Read the Bible, starting with the Book of John. Find a church that supports the gospel and assists new Christians establish themselves and grow in the faith.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟841,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Baby don't hurt me.
Somebody had to say it, right?

As I understand it, love is an act of the will. It's something you do, not something you feel. Warm, gushy, gooey feelings not required. That's why we're called on to show love for people we may not even like. Whether or not we like them is irrelevant. We should still love them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums