What is death?

F

from scratch

this is the funniest thing i ever saw, today was just another work day till i logged on again to read this?rotflmbo i think i am going to the hospital and get stiches. Those here in the coffee shop are wondering why i am laughing so hard. Thank you for whoever posted!
Nice to see you have a sense of humor. Must be that Good Humor Ice Cream.

Upvote 0

Mikecpking

Aug 29, 2005
Telford,Shropshire,England
Visit site
✟18,099.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Very good. What does it mean to die? Where does the soul perish in Scripture? I read that God doesn't even destroy (annihilate as in evaporate to never existing) the soul. I read that He can, but not that He does or will.

Souls perishing in scripture:

Numbers 23:10
Judges 16:30

Plus:

Can the soul die?
Answer: Yes (Job 7:15; Ezekiel 3:19; 18:4,20, Matthew 10:28, Psalm 22:20,29, Jeremiah 38:17, Isaiah 55:3, Joshua 10:28, Revelation 16:3).

From

What Happens at Death?

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Souls perishing in scripture:

Numbers 23:10
Judges 16:30

Plus:

Can the soul die?
Answer: Yes (Job 7:15; Ezekiel 3:19; 18:4,20, Matthew 10:28, Psalm 22:20,29, Jeremiah 38:17, Isaiah 55:3, Joshua 10:28, Revelation 16:3).

From

What Happens at Death?
I'm not really interested in debating others opinions who are not part of this discussion. Technically I'm not going to debate sites such as this.

I fail to see any connection of your main 2 verses to your comment and therfore refuse to spend time with your other references.

Upvote 0

Mikecpking

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
✟18,099.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm not really interested in debating others opinions who are not part of this discussion. Technically I'm not going to debate sites such as this.

I fail to see any connection of your main 2 verses to your comment and therfore refuse to spend time with your other references.

You made a question "where does the soul die in scripture and I gave you the citations.

This is a debate forum so please expect to be challenged, debated with, have evidence presented to you..that what this forum is for!

The references are valid, because the word 'soul' is ONLY translated from the Hebrew word 'nephesh' and the mentioned verses clearly contain that very same Hebrew word.

If you want to disregard the bible, that is upto you. I merely presented you with the facts.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Very good. What does it mean to die? Where does the soul perish in Scripture? I read that God doesn't even destroy (annihilate as in evaporate to never existing) the soul. I read that He can, but not that He does or will.
To die means to no longer be alive.

Ezekiel 18, the soul that sins shall die.
Romans 6:23 the wages of sin is death,
John 3:16 who believeth shall not perish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

James 75

Nov 25, 2011
✟393.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You made a question "where does the soul die in scripture and I gave you the citations.

This is a debate forum so please expect to be challenged, debated with, have evidence presented to you..that what this forum is for!

The references are valid, because the word 'soul' is ONLY translated from the Hebrew word 'nephesh' and the mentioned verses clearly contain that very same Hebrew word.

If you want to disregard the bible, that is upto you. I merely presented you with the facts.

Some people never let a little thing like facts get in their way.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

How often does one have to include a definition so that they will be understood? You insist your definition of die is to poof out of existence. I certianly don't hold such a view nor incline my statements to support such.

I to can go to a concordance and bring up Scriptures with certian words. LLoJ does that often which sometimes even includes how many times the word appears in Scripture. It really isn't the verse I'm objecting to. It is the use of the verse which is abused because of common understanding. The verses are usually out of context as well. This makes it easy to twist into something one desires.

So if you wish to discuss these verses instead of leaving one hanging and hoping they will come to your POV, I'm game. Otherwise you're wasting time and band with for no purpose.

Now do you wish to challenge me or just throw out some verses and hope. I've not been challenged by the mere presentation of a verse or 2. Tell me what they mean. You can't expect some one with an opposing POV to except something with no explanation.

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How often does one have to include a definition so that they will be understood? You insist your definition of die is to poof out of existence. I certianly don't hold such a view nor incline my statements to support such.

I to can go to a concordance and bring up Scriptures with certian words. LLoJ does that often which sometimes even includes how many times the word appears in Scripture. It really isn't the verse I'm objecting to. It is the use of the verse which is abused because of common understanding. The verses are usually out of context as well. This makes it easy to twist into something one desires.

So if you wish to discuss these verses instead of leaving one hanging and hoping they will come to your POV, I'm game. Otherwise you're wasting time and band with for no purpose.

Now do you wish to challenge me or just throw out some verses and hope. I've not been challenged by the mere presentation of a verse or 2. Tell me what they mean. You can't expect some one with an opposing POV to except something with no explanation.

i want to discuss "perish" with you.

do you mind elaborating on your view?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Mikecpking

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
✟18,099.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
How often does one have to include a definition so that they will be understood?

Your definition of soul is being read into scripture and it does not fit. One should look at the Hebrew definitions of 'nephesh' to get an idea of personhood and the Hebrew view point of death

You insist your definition of die is to poof out of existence. I certianly don't hold such a view nor incline my statements to support such.

Nor do I. I never said that the nephesh dying was ceasing to exist. I mentioned much earlier that the Hebrews believed that the dead were 'rephaim' and their habitiation was sheol until the resurrection.

I explained what they mean several times. 'Nephesh' means 'life' or the whole physical person. Do you not read my posts or is your best argument (again) something like this? >

" Now do you wish to challenge me or just throw out some verses and hope. I've not been challenged by the mere presentation of a verse or 2. Tell me what they mean. You can't expect some one with an opposing POV to except something with no explanation"

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Your definition of soul is being read into scripture and it does not fit. One should look at the Hebrew definitions of 'nephesh' to get an idea of personhood and the Hebrew view point of death.
May I ask what you think my definition of souls is? Please explain why my perecived definition doesn't fit after you tell me what it is. I don't recall giving such a definition.
Nor do I. I never said that the nephesh dying was ceasing to exist. I mentioned much earlier that the Hebrews believed that the dead were 'rephaim' and their habitiation was sheol until the resurrection.
OK I have to look for the word since you didn't provide it with repham. I'm not fluent is Hebrew or the subject. So I have to find some point of reference to work from in English.
I explained what they mean several times. 'Nephesh' means 'life' or the whole physical person. Do you not read my posts or is your best argument (again) something like this? >

" Now do you wish to challenge me or just throw out some verses and hope. I've not been challenged by the mere presentation of a verse or 2. Tell me what they mean. You can't expect some one with an opposing POV to except something with no explanation"
Look I participate in other threads at one time. And when one is slow it get put on the back burner. So unless you want to be very active say 10 or more post a day I need a little refeshment where and what is being talked about.

Yes I have some idea - right or wrong. I started this thread because of some constant discussion on another thread that was off topic. So I'm interested in what you have. If you need an academic discussion on the topic I'm not your guy.

I'll go back and look for your discussion on nephesh since you didn't provide it.

My primary interest isn't the history of what others believe. It is the facts only. The only thing that matters to me in the discussion on death is the second death. I understand the demise of the flesh. Thus if your poisition is the soul or what ever other word one wishes to use is that it evaporates into non returnable existence I have all I need from you. I'm looking only for a Scriptrually supported position. If one wishes to say the Bible is based on Greek philosophy I'm not interested in the slightest. I believe in the God breathed Word of God. Yes I have only a translation to work from. If God intends for one to know it is written down already or God will speak to them directly which will be measured against the Bible.

I'm not trying to be smart with you. I'm interested in the meanings of words. So give me some references I can check out that are easily accessible.

Upvote 0

Mikecpking

Aug 29, 2005
Visit site
✟18,099.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
May I ask what you think my definition of souls is?

I have been asking you!

http://www.christianforums.com/t7608095-16/#post59059259
Originally Posted by from scratch
Breath isn't the soul. And if you're going to compare man to an animal all this God stuff is shear tom foolery..... and worthless vainty for one simple ceases to exist either righteous or wicked. Solomon didn't make a distinction. Therefore his statement applies to all and not just the wicked. IOW even the righteous are annihilated. So party harty cause it is over for every body at death.
What do you think the 'soul' is?

Originally Posted by from scratch
Breath isn't the soul. And if you're going to compare man to an animal all this God stuff is shear tom foolery..... and worthless vainty for one simple ceases to exist either righteous or wicked. Solomon didn't make a distinction. Therefore his statement applies to all and not just the wicked. IOW even the righteous are annihilated. So party harty cause it is over for every body at death.
What do you think the 'soul' is?

Please explain why my perecived definition doesn't fit after you tell me what it is. I don't recall giving such a definition.OK I have to look for the word since you didn't provide it with repham. I'm not fluent is Hebrew or the subject. So I have to find some point of reference to work from in English.Look I participate in other threads at one time. And when one is slow it get put on the back burner. So unless you want to be very active say 10 or more post a day I need a little refeshment where and what is being talked about.

Yes I have some idea - right or wrong. I started this thread because of some constant discussion on another thread that was off topic. So I'm interested in what you have. If you need an academic discussion on the topic I'm not your guy.

I'll go back and look for your discussion on nephesh since you didn't provide it.

My primary interest isn't the history of what others believe. It is the facts only. The only thing that matters to me in the discussion on death is the second death. I understand the demise of the flesh. Thus if your poisition is the soul or what ever other word one wishes to use is that it evaporates into non returnable existence I have all I need from you. I'm looking only for a Scriptrually supported position. If one wishes to say the Bible is based on Greek philosophy I'm not interested in the slightest. I believe in the God breathed Word of God. Yes I have only a translation to work from. If God intends for one to know it is written down already or God will speak to them directly which will be measured against the Bible.

I'm not trying to be smart with you. I'm interested in the meanings of words. So give me some references I can check out that are easily accessible.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7608095-18/#post59059603

http://www.christianforums.com/t7608095-21/#post59066199

I have give you the meanings of words much earlier in this thread. Your stance sounds like avoidance of my questions points to your remarks. The references are all there so why are you asking for them again?

Upvote 0