nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
I'd look around at different service times. I would expect you would be able to find morning and evening services, and probably something during the week, too.

When I looked last night there was only one service time on Sunday mornings and no evening service.

Weekdays wouldn't work as I work Monday - Wednesday from 4am till anywhere between 7pm and 10pm. It's rare that I only work till our real end time of 5pm.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Nanook, you are in my prayers with your situation. Depending on the church, liturgical churches typically have some non-communion services such as Matins or Vespers that you could also attend. You might also be best served by asking your priest if there are some churches that he would be comfortable for you to attend. If you are on a real time crunch on Sundays and getting your kids dropped off at a certain time, some liturgical churches, especially Episcopalian and Lutheran, might have an 8am service with a 9:30am Bible study then a 10:30 service. Eastern Orthodox are going to be an all Sunday morning affair (we start at 8:45am and finish by 11:30 to noon) so we might not be the best option with those kinds of restrictions.

• Friendly
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Nanook, you are in my prayers with your situation. Depending on the church, liturgical churches typically have some non-communion services such as Matins or Vespers that you could also attend. You might also be best served by asking your priest if there are some churches that he would be comfortable for you to attend. If you are on a real time crunch on Sundays and getting your kids dropped off at a certain time, some liturgical churches, especially Episcopalian and Lutheran, might have an 8am service with a 9:30am Bible study then a 10:30 service. Eastern Orthodox are going to be an all Sunday morning affair (we start at 8:45am and finish by 11:30 to noon) so we might not be the best option with those kinds of restrictions.

I've spoken more with her in between patients and she doesn't want them going to any church with me as she feels it will confuse them going to different denominations and she doesn't want that.

So, even early Sunday morning services are out.

Ugh!

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I've spoken more with her in between patients and she doesn't want them going to any church with me as she feels it will confuse them going to different denominations and she doesn't want that.

So, even early Sunday morning services are out.

Ugh!

Are you two on such bad terms you can't go to her Episcopal church? It's unclear exactly what the issue is.

You should also check out ELCA Lutheran churches as an option, many have evening services on Sundays. As a Catholic you would be welcome to attend and receive the sacraments.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Are you two on such bad terms you can't go to her Episcopal church? It's unclear exactly what the issue is.

You should also check out ELCA Lutheran churches as an option, many have evening services on Sundays. As a Catholic you would be welcome to attend and receive the sacraments.

My ex-wife is not Episcopalian, that's my girlfriend. My ex goes to heavy southern independent leaning Baptist church that I will not attend as it isn't even close to the kind of church I want to attend.

Any church that has to guilt people into giving an offer g or say they are under a curse if they don't tithe is not a church I will go to.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single

I searched just Lutheran churches and all of them have just Sunday morning services. I went about 25 miles out from me. Any further than that and it will be too far for me on a Sunday night with me having to get up at 2:30am for work at 4am.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
I am curious as to why you can't drop the kids at the ex's earlier so you can get to a church of your choice on time?

We have an arranged time per the divorce decree. She will not take them any earlier or later than that unless it's like 10-15 minutes.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
And yes, she holds me to it!
I wonder if your wife hasn't also tried equally hard to facilitate your egress from the Catholic Church, making it as impossible as she can for you to remain Catholic. Just wondering.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
I wonder if your wife hasn't also tried equally hard to facilitate your egress from the Catholic Church, making it as impossible as she can for you to remain Catholic. Just wondering.

She's my ex-wife now and I was fine to go on my own when we were together as I could leave the kids with her.

So, not her doing at all. She has the right per the divorce decree to tell me what church our kids will attend and I cannot say anything about it.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
She's my ex-wife now and I was fine to go on my own when we were together as I could leave the kids with her.

So, not her doing at all. She has the right per the divorce decree to tell me what church our kids will attend and I cannot say anything about it.
Well, it's a sad situation and I'm praying for you.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Of course you as an individual member of the Catholic Church are not required to pray to the dead!

The question really is, and was from the start, whether belonging to a church that approves of and encourages such a practice strikes you as right to do...and whether or not you care one way or the other.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Of course you as an individual member of the Catholic Church are not required to pray to the dead!

The question really is, and was from the start, whether belonging to a church that approves of and encourages such a practice strikes you as right to do...and whether or not you care one way or the other.

As long as it's not a requirement of the church, I am indeed fine with it. If they want to encourage it, that's fine as it leaves it up to the individual person to decide for themselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sarah1972

Feb 11, 2018
Cleveland
✟7,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This is a separate question, but it relates to "what is Catholic but not Catholic." What I'm bothered by, is the people who insist that God's judgement on sinners is a fact and a thing that God simply must do to his children who break his rules. And if this is true then that implies that out perfect God, endlessly compassionate, is in fact capable of error and imperfect. Which makes him more human then God. Ex. Gays, and those seeking abortions for health or pregnancies poorly timed or as result of rape. All of this implies God has an ego, and has needs to feel justified in his attempt to correct or punish us. I have mercy and compassion for those whose life choices don't make sense to me, yet I'm being told this is wrong. Which means, I am more compassionate then my God??? This makes no sense. Either too many Christians can't grasp what real unconditional love is, or what an ego really is. Or God is not the being I was always brought up to believe he or she was. What am I missing here?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Many people associate love with license.

But we normally would not buy the same argument if it were applied to a parent raising a small child, rather than to God dealing with disobedient humans. Why do you think that "Whatever you want, it doesn't matter to me" is inherent in the nature of God?

Upvote 0

Sarah1972

Feb 11, 2018
Cleveland
✟7,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Ok. But it doesn't really answer the question. If God is perfect and has no ego, which is the driving force behind a human seeking to have its personal desires met, i.e. food, shelter, sex, ect... God needs none of these. What purpose does punishment serve? Against society or persons physically harmed, I can see a reason. But I mean, against God? What reason does an infinitely wise compassionate being need to seek justice against a "sinner" when I would not unless under the most horrible situations? I.e. extreme violence and abuses. If God has an ego then is it different from a human ego? Which i think is ridiculous, but people seem to think its not. Note: It does say not to judge in the bible. :(

Upvote 0