What is biblical truth when there is no consensus?

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some present their views as if they themselves are an authority on biblical interpretation.

Worst case, they attempt to end the discussion by claiming your argument is not with them.
Basically, playing the "God card".

Do we leave no room for the interpretations brought by others? Showing intolerance.

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Some present their views as if they themselves are an authority on biblical interpretation.

Worst case, they attempt to end the discussion by claiming your argument is not with them.

Do we leave no room for the interpretations brought by others? Showing intolerance.

The Bible does and will interpret itself …on the things that God wants to reveal to us…. which is most everything.

God never asks us to interpret the Word …just rightly divide it…..which to me…. is seeing how it fits in the verse, context, and throughout the entire Bible w/o contradiction.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible does and will interpret itself …on the things that God wants to reveal to us…. which is most everything.

God never asks us to interpret the Word …just rightly divide it…..which to me…. is seeing how it fits in the verse, context, and throughout the entire Bible w/o contradiction.
Thanks for your reply.

What do you believe about the elements of communion/the Eucharist? (the blood and the body)
Are they symbolic, or literal?

What is the biblical truth in this matter? Is there consensus?

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I believe it pays to listen to other people's arguments, even if we disagree with them. For there may be "parts" of their knowledge that we have never seen before, and realistically we could be wrong about certain facts.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Each of us are to take on the personal responsibility of studying and meditating on His written word.

Acts 17:11

New King James Version
These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so.

Certainly there is tolerance by many .... we discuss these differences all the time (nothing wrong with this) ... also nothing wrong with looking at different interpretations ... but in the end all must be measured carefully with His written word. He reveals His truths as we study .... not all at once ... He wants all in His written word and yes He wants us to discuss it ... yet reason with the scriptures.

His word is powerful changing the heart and mind and helping us to avoid temptation.

The living Word—Jesus Christ—used the written Word to fight temptation. Jesus set the pattern for us. He is our example of what our defense should be in times of temptation: the Bible (scripture).

Truth is discovered and revealed through study and hearts and minds are changed.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Truth is discovered and revealed through study and hearts and minds are changed.
Thanks for your reply.

Your post made me ask myself...
Does truth come from what we agree on, or when it works in peoples lives?

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks for your reply.

What do you believe about the elements of communion/the Eucharist? (the blood and the body)

What is the biblical truth in this matter? Is there consensus?
This won’t win me any friends ………… it is Symbolic.

Religion makes it literal and mystical with the transubstantiation … to me that is not biblical... but what is biblical is the truth that we have Christ within …

As per 1 Cor_11 which is written to us (the church) we are to do this in remembrance of Him.

Our group always does this round Easter, but I encourage people to do it as often as they feel the need in their household.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This won’t win me any friends ………… it is Symbolic.

Religion makes it literal and mystical with the transubstantiation … to me that is not biblical... but what is biblical is the truth that we have Christ within …
Thanks for your reply.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,432.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I am always looking for the most likely alternative, which will not be the consensus, because everyone will not be in agreement.
Mostly I just want to show my interpretation to be reasonable, likely, consistent, and even though others do not agree with it don't see it unreasonable.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am always looking for the most likely alternative, which will not be the consensus, because everyone will not be in agreement.
Mostly I just want to show my interpretation to be reasonable, likely, consistent, and even though others do not agree with it don't see it unreasonable.
Thanks for your reply. Sounds good.

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,432.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your reply. Sounds good.
The indwelling Holy Spirit knows the correct Biblical truth, we should get from the passage, you cannot expect the Spirit to help you if you're trying to sell more commentaries, have more invitations to speak, are trying to win an argument, just to know something or make yourself look good.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Well, I think people understand that the authors of scripture did not leave them open for any interpretation, but had a specific focus in mind. If this is the case, then most believe that the scriptures must have a single yet nuanced interpretation, and so attempt to claim its grasp when explaining them.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks for your reply.

Because I believe that the Word of God defines itself …generally the only thing that gets in the way of a consensus is inference. One person or both are drawing implications from a source outside of the Word of God …be it denominational, secular, extra biblical or their own reasoning.

That is not a copout on your question…. I truly believe that the Word does answer the Word …otherwise God would have used something different than "rightly dividing" the Word of Truth. Of which the intrinsic nuance of that word orthotomeō is, that there is one way of cutting…. all other ways are wrong.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hmm biblical sounds like bubblical if people say it too often.

When there's no consensus, people say the word biblical too much ... so that's what truth becomes, a bubble.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why are you asking about biblical truth and asking about an interpretation of the bible?
Does truth come from what we agree on, or when it works in peoples lives?
You have not identified what is truth.

Why do you assume that the 'truth' is arrived at by concencus?

Jesus said that he was the Ttuth, the Life and the Way and that Noone got to God except through him.

In your opinion is this correct?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
"Tolerance" is not a Biblical virtue.

Deuteronomy 6:4–5, 14-15 CSB17
““Listen, Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.
“Do not follow other gods, the gods of the peoples around you, for the LORD your God, who is among you, is a jealous God. Otherwise, the LORD your God will become angry with you and obliterate you from the face of the earth.””

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I think people understand that the authors of scripture did not leave them open for any interpretation, but had a specific focus in mind. If this is the case, then most believe that the scriptures must have a single yet nuanced interpretation, and so attempt to claim its grasp when explaining them.
The proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes. Is there consensus? (nope)

Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you assume that the 'truth' is arrived at by concencus?
I don't. But many do.
That's my point.

Have you not encountered many on the forum that dismiss your stance as false because it doesn't agree with their stance?

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes. Is there consensus? (nope)

You're appealing to non-consensus to prove your view. That is nonsensical.

• Agree
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're appealing to non-consensus to prove your view. That is nonsensical.
Not at all.
If we only had apples for food, but we are now out of apples, we can assume that means we are out of food.

Basically, I want to see us building bridges instead of walls.

Upvote 0