LDS What is an eternal being?

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You think of God in physical terms because Joseph Smith made Him into a lowly creature. Mormonism is depressing.

What is man, that thou art mindful of him?

Hebrews 2:6
But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him?
Did Moses make God into a lowly creature.
Exodus 33:21-23King James Version (KJV)
21 And the Lord said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:

22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:

23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

Or did God make Himself into a lowly creature. If JS had given you what is in the bible, he probably would have got hung by the first minister of the gospel. But there it is in the bible in black and white. God has back parts.
Now back parts doesn't sound like spirit.
God's hand in Moses face doesn't sound like he was a spirit.
God has feet (see Exodus 24:10)

So the bible itself testifies that God has a face and hands, and feet, and back parts. Is the bible making God into a lowly creature?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Don't you read and believe your Bible?
Yes, and I know that Jesus left his sheep in the care of the apostles and prophets that he called. The sheep began to follow them and continued to pray to the Father in the name of Jesus Christ. Is that what you think?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The words in the Bible came from God; the understanding comes from God.

God the Father is a Spirit. A spirit isn't physical. Jesus lowered Himself to become a man.

Mormons think we will be making spirit children and singing in choirs. A BoM character called King Benjamin said:
28 I say unto you that I have caused that ye should assemble yourselves together that I might rid my garments of your blood, at this period of time when I am about to go down to my grave, that I might go down in peace, and my immortal spirit may join the choirs above in singing the praises of a just God.
Book of Mormon, Mosiah 2

7 And he hath brought to pass the redemption of the world, whereby he that is found guiltless before him at the judgment day hath it given unto him to dwell in the presence of God in his kingdom, to sing ceaseless praises with the choirs above, unto the Father, and unto the Son, and unto the Holy Ghost, which are one God, in a state of happiness which hath no end.
Book of Mormon, Mormon 7

I guess you think you'll be muti-tasking even though you can be in only one place at a time.

No, we will not be married and we won't be having children. God is not married. God is Holy. We will be avoiding all sin and honoring God.

What evidence do we have that God does not jealously guard his position and power, but rather seeks to see that his children rise up to his position of glory, knowledge, and power that he has obtained (see Moses 1:39)?
(Search These Commandments, Melchizedek Priesthood Personal Study Guide, Copyright 1984, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, p. 155)

Be careful in presenting this material that you don’t bring God down to man’s level. Our objective is to perfect ourselves and raise our level to his exalted place.
(Search These Commandments, Melchizedek Priesthood Personal Study Guide, Copyright 1984, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, p. 158)

Ah, but it's too late:

1 God Was Once a Man
As We Are Now

When he was a young man, Lorenzo Snow was promised by the Lord through the Patriarch to the Church that through obedience to the gospel he could become as great as God, “and you cannot wish to be greater”(Eliza R. Snow, Biography and Family Record of Lorenzo Snow, pp. 9-10)....

The Prophet Joseph Smith said:
“...It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the Character of God, and to know that we may converse with him as one man converses with another, and that he was once a man like us; yea, that God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth” (Teachings, pp. 345-46...)
(Search These Commandments, Melchizedek Priesthood Personal Study Guide, Copyright 1984, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, pp. 151-152)
Tell me what you think a spirit is? And relate that to my post #42. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Tell me what you think a spirit is? And relate that to my post #42. Thank you.

I don't think what a Spirit is. Jesus told us.

Luke 24

36And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace beunto you. 37But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit. 38And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts? 39Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

John 4
24God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

A misunderstanding of the Old Testament leads to conjecture.

John 1
18 No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Exodus 33
17 So the LORD said to Moses, “I will also do this thing that you have spoken; for you have found grace in My sight, and I know you by name.” 18 And he said, “Please, show me Your glory.” 19 Then He said, “I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.” 20 But He said, “You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live.” 21 And the LORD said, “Here is a place by Me, and you shall stand on the rock. 22 “So it shall be, while My glory passes by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock, and will cover you with My hand while I pass by. 23 “Then I will take away My hand, and you shall see My back; but My face shall not be seen.” (Exodus 33:17-23)

John 6
46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.

Moses either saw a Christophany or the speech was an anthropomorphism.

Do Mormons believe God has feathers and wings?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes, and I know that Jesus left his sheep in the care of the apostles and prophets that he called. The sheep began to follow them and continued to pray to the Father in the name of Jesus Christ. Is that what you think?

God is always with His sheep! He told us that.
Lo, I am with you always.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Did Moses make God into a lowly creature.
Exodus 33:21-23King James Version (KJV)
21 And the Lord said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:

22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:

23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

Or did God make Himself into a lowly creature. If JS had given you what is in the bible, he probably would have got hung by the first minister of the gospel. But there it is in the bible in black and white. God has back parts.
Now back parts doesn't sound like spirit.
God's hand in Moses face doesn't sound like he was a spirit.
God has feet (see Exodus 24:10)

So the bible itself testifies that God has a face and hands, and feet, and back parts. Is the bible making God into a lowly creature?

You are cherry picking. You believe Joseph Smith saw two gods. I pray that you repent.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You are cherry picking. You believe Joseph Smith saw two gods. I pray that you repent.
JS saw 2 Gods, just like Stephen saw 2 Gods in the bible. Does it matter if I cherry pick to show you that God has the feature of am exalted man, but man nonetheless. The bible is full of God is a man.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
God is always with His sheep! He told us that.
Lo, I am with you always.
Jesus and his Father, God the Father can only be with you through the administration of the HS, which Jesus said would come after he left for heaven.
Which did happen. So the HS is here representing Jesus while Jesus is sitting on the right hand of the Father until his second coming.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I don't think what a Spirit is. Jesus told us.

Luke 24

36And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace beunto you. 37But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit. 38And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts? 39Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

John 4
24God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

A misunderstanding of the Old Testament leads to conjecture.

John 1
18 No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Exodus 33
17 So the LORD said to Moses, “I will also do this thing that you have spoken; for you have found grace in My sight, and I know you by name.” 18 And he said, “Please, show me Your glory.” 19 Then He said, “I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.” 20 But He said, “You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live.” 21 And the LORD said, “Here is a place by Me, and you shall stand on the rock. 22 “So it shall be, while My glory passes by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock, and will cover you with My hand while I pass by. 23 “Then I will take away My hand, and you shall see My back; but My face shall not be seen.” (Exodus 33:17-23)

John 6
46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.

Moses either saw a Christophany or the speech was an anthropomorphism.

Do Mormons believe God has feathers and wings?
God is an exalted man, the scriptures tell us this.

No I have never seen a person with a torso, 2 arms, 2 legs, 10 fingers, and 10 toes also have wings, and feathers, so no God does not. But that does not say he therefore does not have hands, feet, face, backparts, etc., etc., etc.

How can your immaterial spirit have hands, feet, face, backparts, etc.? It can't, therefore God is not just a spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Jesus and his Father, God the Father can only be with you through the administration of the HS, which Jesus said would come after he left for heaven.
Which did happen. So the HS is here representing Jesus while Jesus is sitting on the right hand of the Father until his second coming.

Show us where it says Jesus and His Father haven't moved for centuries. Or that the Holy Spirit is traveling in America.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
God is an exalted man, the scriptures tell us this.

No I have never seen a person with a torso, 2 arms, 2 legs, 10 fingers, and 10 toes also have wings, and feathers, so no God does not. But that does not say he therefore does not have hands, feet, face, backparts, etc., etc., etc.

How can your immaterial spirit have hands, feet, face, backparts, etc.? It can't, therefore God is not just a spirit.

So your Holy Ghost is a dove. Interesting.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
So your Holy Ghost is a dove. Interesting.
No, where did you ever get that idea. My HS has a head, a torso, 2 arms, 2 legs, 2 hands, 10 fingers, 2 feet, 10 toes. The HS is a spirit, which JS says is refined matter, and that the HS has to be a spirit in order to enter your body and witness to your spirit of the truth of things.

Out of curiosity, that is why Jesus cannot enter into your body, because he also has a body of flesh and bone. That is why Jesus sends the HS to you so your spirit can know the truth of all things.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No, where did you ever get that idea. My HS has a head, a torso, 2 arms, 2 legs, 2 hands, 10 fingers, 2 feet, 10 toes. The HS is a spirit, which JS says is refined matter, and that the HS has to be a spirit in order to enter your body and witness to your spirit of the truth of things.

Out of curiosity, that is why Jesus cannot enter into your body, because he also has a body of flesh and bone. That is why Jesus sends the HS to you so your spirit can know the truth of all things.

Jesus the true Son of the true God doesn't send your "holy spirit" to dwell in anyone. If your "holy spirit" were to dwell in someone, he couldn't dwell in anyone else.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Show us where it says Jesus and His Father haven't moved for centuries. Or that the Holy Spirit is traveling in America.
It is rare that God the Father of Jesus leaves the heavens. He has a lot of work controlling the universe. Jesus OTOH does occasionally leave, for he is the God of this world. So it is his responsibility to direct the work of the apostles and the prophets and the church in general. Jesus, who is the chief cornerstone of the church, gives pertinent information to the apostles and prophets, (sometimes face to face in the Holy of Holies in the temple) and the apostles and prophets receive that info and pass it directly to the people. The people then have the chance to believe or not believe and to do or not to do what the apostles and prophets say they received from Jesus.

Sometimes Jesus will do this work himself. Sometimes Jesus sends the HS to be his messanger. Sometimes God the Father and Jesus Christ are seen together, but that is rare. (Acts 7:55-56)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Jesus the true Son of the true God doesn't send your "holy spirit" to dwell in anyone. If your "holy spirit" were to dwell in someone, he couldn't dwell in anyone else.
Explain your HS and how he dwells in millions of persons every day?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Explain your HS and how he dwells in millions of persons every day?

What would that explanation do for anyone? I didn't ask the question and God hasn't revealed the answer.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
What would that explanation do for anyone? I didn't ask the question and God hasn't revealed the answer.
It would show that you understand the HS, which you apparently do not. BTW, neither do I, so I suspect my HS and your HS are probably the same HS.

Upvote 0