Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Lincoln’s Battle with God: A President Struggle with Faith and What It Meant for America by Stephen Mansfield. Just wrote this review on Amazon:

Mansfield does an admirable job of presenting the evidence for Abraham Lincoln's Christian faith as far as the historical evidence will support such a claim to faith. The portrait that emerges is arguably of a Lincoln falling short of an evangelical faith in that he is not known to have believed in eternal punishment, but also of a Lincoln having a strong general (liberal if you will) Christian faith in the Resurrection of the dead, Christ as Savior of the World, and God as sovereign over the events of history.

Lincoln seems to have been exposed to the best and worst in Christianity of his day by being strengthened in his faith through the writings of Presbyterian Pastor Reverend James D. Smith of Springfield, whose apologetic writings contained in The Christian's Defence, Lincoln is known to have read. At the same time Lincoln was exposed likely exposed to some of the church pettiness of his day. As he attended Smith's church in Springfield, the Presbyterian session was charged at one point with investigating a church member for the sin of dancing. (Lincoln and his wife had met at a dance.) Even in death, Lincoln couldn't escape the cultural bias of his day. Pastors lamented the fact that his death took place in a theater. Or in the words of one Presbyterian Pastor, "the theater is one of last places to which a good man should go."

Despite many challenges, Lincoln's faith eventually took form. Perhaps its strongest statement is Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address. Here Lincoln lays out an overwhelming case for God's sovereignty in history and the case against slavery, but he charges both the North and South with the collective crime of slavery that God must judge. Lincoln also lays out a Scriptural philosophy of history in which God is portrayed as allowing the crimes of humanity to go so far, but no further, until evil has reached its fullness and is judged.

This is a good book. It's made that much more enjoyable in that Mansfield is able to keep things complete, yet brief. And even while being brief provide several mini-histories of various topics. We see the sad picture for example of Mrs. Lincoln's interest in spiritualism after her son's death, even as her husband is turns closer to his Christian faith as a way of coping with his grief. More examples could be mentioned. But it suffices to say that this is a book that is well worth it.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

gord44

Nov 4, 2004
✟27,104.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I love Cornwell! Maybe Colleen McCullough is better all round but Cornwell has more action. Let me know what you think of it.

Yes, Cornwell is great. My all time favorite book series is the Sharpe books (24 books). Absolutely my favorite book character of all time too (Richard Sharpe). You are right. Cornwell's strength is in his battle descriptions.

I haven't heard of Colleen McCullough, but I will for sure check her out with your recommendation.

As for 1356, so far so good. I would recommend before you read it, you read the Grail Quest Trilogy, as 1356 is the same main character 10 years later. Harlequin, Vagabond and Heretic are the three books in that series.

Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,796.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,796.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Reactions: gord44
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gord44

Nov 4, 2004
✟27,104.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
McCullough's novels:

1. The First Man in Rome (1990); spanning the years 110–100 BC
  2. The Grass Crown (1991); spanning the years 97–86 BC
  3. Fortune's Favourites (1993); spanning the years 83–69 BC
  4. Caesar's Women (1997); spanning the years 67–59 BC
  5. Caesar (1998); spanning the years 54–48 BC
  6. The October Horse (2002); spanning the years 48–41 BC and
  7. Antony and Cleopatra (2007); spanning the years 41–27 BC

Excellent. Thank you. Always a fan of Roman historical fiction.

Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,796.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Just picked up:

200px-Sacred_Games.jpg

The cover got me.

I'm not done reading John Wesley's Teachings vol. 2. Wesley was a man of contradiction. When he dealt directly with Calvinism he sounds Pelagian but when he preaches about total inability of man he sounds a lot like a low Calvinist. From Wiki, "Wesley insisted on prevenient grace as a solution to two great problems in Christianity: the belief of original sin and the Protestant doctrine of salvation by grace alone. Developing the idea based upon the witness of Scripture, Wesley thought that prevenient grace enabled the doctrines of original sin and salvation by grace to co-exist while still maintaining God's sovereignty and holy character as well as human freedom."

I'd like to see his scriptural proof for prevenient grace cause I haven't seen it.

jm

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I watched The Americans tv series. Excellent! A little gritty at times but entertaining.

I'm now reading:

55100.jpg

175px-GorkyPark.jpg

Wow, those look good. This one that I'd recommend:

41M41G4VSVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I wrote this review of it sometime ago:

Koestler vividly describes the paranoid atmosphere of Stalin's Russia - the physical and psychological torture and the many imprisoned or executed on trumped-up charges. Beyond this, Koestler powerfully portrays the emptiness of a life dedicated to pursuing Communist utopia within a secular worldview in which any means are justified to pursue these utopian dreams.

Koestler also contrast a government based on the ideal of the value of each individual, rooted in Christianity, versus a secular government able to justify treating individuals as expendable, especially in this passage: "There are only two conceptions of human ethics and they are at opposite poles. One of them is Christian and humane, declares the individual to be sacrosanct, and asserts that the rules of arithmetic are not to be applied to human units. The other starts from the basic principle that a collective aim justifies all means, and not only allows, but demands, that the individual should in every way be subordinated to the community -- which may dispose of it as an experimentation rabbit or a sacrificial lamb."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Arrived in the mail today, finally have a set of John Calvin, Tracts and Letters - 7 volumes for $40, what a deal! Along with a few issues of Christian History journal for a buck each. Started reading a little from an issue about the Puritans, interesting history!

Upvote 0