Aug 18, 2004
Cajun Country
Visit site
✟4,779.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don't read very fast, in fact I read at about the pace of a crippled turtle, but I do try to read when ever I have spare time. These days I'm reading a number of things. My latest read was John Nevin's 1840's book, A Mystical Presence: A Vindication of the Reformed or Calvinistic Doctrine of the Holy Eucharist. I found this to be a very telling and exciting book. I found Charles Hodges review on the book and I've printed it out and hope to read it soon.

I'm meandering my way through a new biography about Mormon founder Joseph Smith. The books is Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling by historian Richard Bushman. Bushman is a well respected historian and a Mormon.

I'v also started reading the writings of Pope Gregory the Great. These writings are in the Second Series of the Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers volume XII. I've read the editor's Prolegomena and I'm now reading Gregory's The Book of Pastoral Rule.When I finish this I plan to continue reading Pope Gregory's letters.

Coram Deo,
Kenith

Paleoconservatarian

God's grandson
Jan 4, 2005
✟18,897.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My reading speed varies, I prefer to read slow but sometimes it's not best, or I simply don't have the time to take on too many things. I'm currently reading:

Covenant and Eschatology: The Divine Drama by Michael Horton

Paradise Lost by John Milton

and Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit by P.G. Wodehouse (American title: Bertie Wooster Sees It Through)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cajun Huguenot

Cajun's for Christ
Aug 18, 2004
Cajun Country
Visit site
✟4,779.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Well... im sure i could include fiction. I am reading The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum :D
On the fiction side of things, I recently finished reading Term Limits by Vince Flynn and today I picked up Flynn's second book Transfer of Power. I would like to read the Bourne series. I love (and own) the movies and here that the books were very good.

Kenith

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I would like to read the Bourne series. I love (and own) the movies and here that the books were very good.
Kenith

I read the first one, and started the second one once.

The books were written and set in the 1970s, and Bourne's main nemesis (more or less!) is Carlos, The Jackal. By the time anybody got around to making the movies, the real Jackal was in a French prison, so to make the film contemporary, there had to do some major reworking of the story line.

The books were OK, but this is a rare case where I preferred the movies to the books.

Reactions: drstevej
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't read very fast, in fact I read at about the pace of a crippled turtle, but I do try to read when ever I have spare time. These days I'm reading a number of things. My latest read was John Nevin's 1840's book, A Mystical Presence: A Vindication of the Reformed or Calvinistic Doctrine of the Holy Eucharist. I found this to be a very telling and exciting book. I found Charles Hodges review on the book and I've printed it out and hope to read it soon.

I'm meandering my way through a new biography about Mormon founder Joseph Smith. The books is Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rollingby historian Richard Bushman. Bushman is a well respected historian and a Mormon.

I'v also started reading the writings of Pope Gregory the Great. These writings are in the Second Series of the Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers volume XII. I've read the editor's Prolegomena and I'm now reading Gregory's The Book of Pastoral Rule.When I finish this I plan to continue reading Pope Gregory's letters.

Coram Deo,
Kenith

At this time, I about to finish read about 50 articles on Paul and the Law. I've been reading the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament. And as soon as I finish read these last three articles, i'm ready to type up my conclusions. It been about six months studying this topic. The Law and the Christian

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2005
SE
✟24,268.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm reading Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. I'm listening to _After Evangelism_ (there's more to the title but I don't know what it is), conference tapes that I bought a year or so ago. The speaker is Ken Myers of Mars Hill Audio Journal and author of _All God's Children and Blue Suede Shoes".

CC&E

Upvote 0

seekingpurity047

Why am I not surprised
Apr 12, 2005
Brooklin
✟4,248.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
On the fiction side of things, I recently finished reading Term Limits by Vince Flynn and today I picked up Flynn's second book Transfer of Power. I would like to read the Bourne series. I love (and own) the movies and here that the books were very good.

Kenith

The problem with the books is that you just can't compare it to the movies, the storylines are that much different. It's unfortunate really, cuz like... when I started reading it, I was thinking it'd be like reading Lord of the Rings, where I could compare it to the movie and such. Not the case with the Bourne series so far. But I must admit, I find that it is worth the time to read, I am rather enjoying it!

Randy

Upvote 0

Paleoconservatarian

God's grandson
Jan 4, 2005
✟18,897.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have that one, and I've started it a couple of times. It seems to be more academic than most of his other books I've read.

I'm about halfway through.

It is certainly more academic. I think it's academics to whom this series is supposed to appeal. Still, if you can get used to the language, it's well worth the trouble. Horton's work is excellent, as usual. What amazes me is his ability to communicate well in the languages of both big-headed scholars and everyman.

Upvote 0

JohnPiperFan

Jan 15, 2008
Texas
✟15,136.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Re-reading Redemption Accomplished and Applied by John Murray and (don't freak out on me) On Killing and On Combat by LTC Grossman.

And the Bible :)

Mike
Guess what... John Murray is my great uncle. My mom's sister married his son. Crazy huh?

Upvote 0