the super dry member
Sep 24, 2012
America
✟17,238.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Do you find it technical? I would think a Samurai would read Art of War and Book of Five Rings, OSU!

There are some parts of On War that are very difficult to slog through reading it; but then there are many parts where Clausewitz' writing shines.

I have read Art of War and also Book of Five Rings as well. I love all kinds of books on Strategy, Special Operations, and many various Military related subjects.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

RINO 72

Jan 15, 2011
✟8,040.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I had to start reading again...I was drifting toward watching more television instead of reading...

Institutes.jpg

That's funny I'm in the exact same boat. I started back in April and have really slacked off since football/breaking bad got cranked up. Institutes has basically replaced that glass of wine just before bed. It doesn't take long before I'm snoring.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I just finished "Jesus On Every Page" by David Murray. Really good stiff on a layman's level.

Now, I'm tackling A History of the Work of Redemption by Edwards. My head already hurts. :D

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Now, I'm tackling A History of the Work of Redemption by Edwards. My head already hurts. :D

:thumbsup: Read that not too long ago and loved it. I even blogged a reverent portion ( Pope Assures Atheists | Feileadh Mor ). I like how the Historicism of Edwards avoids over analying the issue and making the main issue Jesus Christ. When this is done antichrist and anti-christian religion is clearly seen.

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day,

Getting ready to read, review and recommend titles for the upcoming NECEP event in April (28,29). To that end I am currently reading " Risky Gospel" by Owen Strachan, I have a stack to get though to stock the book store for the pastors.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RINO 72

Jan 15, 2011
✟8,040.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Reading "Accendental Revolution: the story of grunge" by Anderson.

I grew up during the "grunge" revolution but never really paid attention to it as a musical movement. Interesting read so far.

Interesting. I was in my late teens when nevermind came out. I was all about hardcore punk and metal so it had a certain appeal to me.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
It would seem to me that grunge didn't last because it got so popular so quickly. I think many of the folks in that movement got disillusioned with it once Nirvana started getting major air play on the radio....

I agree with that. Toss in the self-loathing lyrics and Kurt Cobains death...is it any wonder the movement lost its steam?

I wonder how many professed Calvinist (Young, Restless and Reformed) are really just people who were influenced by the the self-loathing of the 1990's...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I agree with that. Toss in the self-loathing lyrics and Kurt Cobains death...is it any wonder the movement lost its steam?

I wonder how many professed Calvinist (Young, Restless and Reformed) are really just people who were influenced by the the self-loathing of the 1990's...

I never considered them "self-loathing" really. I saw it more as apathy.

Upvote 0