YesMe

Aug 18, 2016
Earth
✟29,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you serious??? Where is your proof? A picture of someone holding a hand over their eye that could have come from some movie is hardly proof! Not to mention this is years old. This is totally off topic. I suggest you start another thread on this.

If you say so, he keeps doing similar signs even to this day, yes, because I know they use these signs, do you think this is my imagination? At first I only noticed them but I had doubts that they were actually using these signs, then I met this mason guy, I denied their proposal and he said built me this certain thing and use the masonic main symbol, hide it in plain sight, this is their second attempt to make me one of them.

ILLUMINATI celebrities- hand covering eye - all seeing eye gesture lady gaga.JPG

Why is so hard for you to notice this?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Laz understood it as well.

"BTW, your Nazi insult is a rather low blow..." - @Lazarus Short
I can't help it neither of you can understand what was said. I said reads post 389! You guys are truly paranoid. It is not what I said---whatever.

Honestly though, what do you really expect?

I guess I could say the same thing---it's to be expected when you distort the word of God as you do, it's only natural you'd distort the words of others.

Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is not that the whole identity of the false gospel(s) being presented on the forum in dozens of threads this year and past years ?
Just like what the serpent said to the woman "ye shall not surely die"....
obviously and simply a lie.

Gen 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
Gen 3:5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Only the first part of what Satan said, was a lie.

Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

The moral of the story here is, it's obviously something that we have to go through, to become like God, which means it was a setup.

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Upvote 0

johnlxyz

Supporter
Jan 7, 2018
Aurora, OR
✟71,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is evident that all four hell's cannot be unending. Their final state is in the Lake of Fire!

“Eternal Punishment” is the term used in the English translation of the Bible on which most people base their view of eternal conscious torment in Hell. The term in the Greek is “kolasis aionios.” If this term does indeed mean eternal punishment, then hell would seem to be foreverrrrrrrrrr.

But, such is not the case. Let’s first consider the opinion of the great Greek scholar William Barclay, who was professor of Divinity and Biblical Criticism at Glasgow University and the author of many commentaries and books, including a translation of the New Testament and the very popular Daily Study Bible Series. Barclay discusses this point regarding Matthew 25:46 in his well-known autobiography:

“One of the key passages is Matthew 25:46 where it is said that the rejected go away to eternal punishment, and the righteous to eternal life. The Greek word for punishment is ‘kolasis,’ which was not originally an ethical word at all. It originally meant the pruning of trees to make them grow better. I think it is true to say that in all Greek secular literature ‘kolasis’ is never used of anything but ‘remedial punishment.’ The word for ‘eternal’ is aionios. It means more than everlasting, for Plato - who may have invented the word - plainly says that a thing may be everlasting and still not be aionios. The simplest way to put it is that aionios cannot be used properly of anyone but God; it is the word uniquely, as Plato saw it, of God. Eternal punishment is then literally that kind of remedial punishment which it befits God to give and which only God can give.”

Aristotle supports Barclay on the meaning of "kolasis."

The only word in the Gospels for “punishment” with regard to God punishing evildoers is “kolasis,” which according to Aristotle, who knew Greek word meanings better than anybody who ever walked the planet, said that “kolasis” is the kind of punishment which “is inflicted in the interest of the sufferer,” which means it is for the betterment or improvement of the person being punished.

This is contrasted with “timoria,” which Aristotle said is the kind of punishment which is “inflicted in the interest of him who inflicts it, that he may obtain satisfaction.” (Rhet. 1369b13).

In addition to Barclay’s opinion above, let’s consider some other respected sources about the proper translation of “aionios:"

The Rotterham Emphasized Bible translates “kolasis aionios” in Matthew 25:46 as “age abiding correction.”

Young’s Literal Translation translates “kolasis aionios” in Matthew 25:46 as “punishment age.”

The Concordant Literal Translation translates “kolasis aionios” in Matthew 25:46 as “chastening eonian," or “chastening age” in other words. Our English word “eon” derives from the Greek word “aionios.” Eon, as we use the word, speaks of ages or cycles of indeterminate amounts of time. The term is often used in the plural form, such as “It’s been eons since we’ve talked,” or “Eons ago the universe was formed.” The point is that we don’t even use the term today to refer to “everlasting” in the sense of never ending. Think how silly it sounds to pluralize “everlasting” into “everlastings," yet “eon” is pluralized into “eons” all the time.

The best translators of the New Testament Greek text would be the Greek fathers of the church over the first 500 years. They were Christian. They were scholars. They lived nearest to the time the New Testament was written and would have a better grasp of the grammatical nuances and cultural linguistics of recent generations. Koine Greek was a lost language for hundreds of years and it is somewhat presumptuous for modern scholars to think they know Biblical Greek better than did the Greek-speaking Church fathers.

The Church fathers and writers who used the term “aionios” in their writings to refer to an indefinite “age” and not to an “unending” or “everlasting” eternity are: Ignatius, Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, Hermogones, Origen, Eusebius, Gregory of Nyssa, and Avitus.

“Eternity (Greek Aionios) signifies in Scripture sometimes the fact that we do not know the end, sometimes the fact that there is no end in the present world, but there will be one in the next. Sometimes eternity means a certain length of time, even that of a human life.” (Origen, Commentary on Romans, Book 6, section 5).

The Emperor Justinian in A.D. 540 tried to extinguish Origen’s teachings by defining Catholic doctrine at that time. “The Holy Church of Christ teaches an endless aionios (ATELEUTETOS aionios) life to the righteous, and endless (ateleutetos) punishment to the wicked.” Aionios was not enough in his judgment to denote endless duration, so he employed ateleutetos. The point is that “aionios” by itself did not mean “everlasting.” It needed to be strengthened with another word to in fact mean “endless,” like “ateleutetos.”

Jews who were contemporaries with Christ, but who wrote in Greek, show that “aionios” was not used to mean “everlasting.” Josephus the historian used “aionios” to refer to temples which were already destroyed (and thus not “everlasting”), indeterminate prison sentences and time lapses between historical events. He never used the word to denote “everlasting,” but rather to mean an indeterminate period or season. The Jewish writer Philo always used the words athanaton, ateleuteton or aidion to denote endless and aionion for temporary duration.

Augustine, who struggled mightily with Greek, claimed for years that the only meaning of “aionios” was “everlasting,” yet even he had to acknowledge his error when visited by the Spanish presbyter Orosius, who convinced Augustine of his error. Augustine relented, but only to the extent that “aionios” did not only mean “everlasting.” Augustine still believed it means “everlasting” with regard to Hell.

To summarize then, Greek word “Aionios,” which is sometimes translated as “everlasting” in Scripture (as in “everlasting punishment”), does NOT in fact mean "unending or everlasting in quantity of time."

Rather, “Aionios” speaks to an “indeterminate age set by God alone.” The word refers to a certain quality (not quantity) of being - - whether it be “aionios life” or “aionios remedial-punishment.” Aionios is always qualified by what it is describing.

For instance, the word “great,” when applied to a merciful sentence imposed by a kind-hearted judge, might refer to a small amount of time in jail. Conversely, “great,” when applied to an atrocious crime, for which the judge “throws the book” at the defendant, might refer to a life-sentence in jail.

Similarly, the nature and quality of aionios, applied to the life of God, is entirely different than when it is applied to the chastening or punishment of God. “GREAT life” in God is certainly unending, since death will have been completely defeated, but the unending length is not the primary essence of that “GREAT life.” Rather, the limitless quality of love and peace which come from being totally at one with the Lord is the key aspect of this “GREAT life.” On the other hand, “GREAT punishment” by God will not be unending since He punishes to correct and rehabilitate and He is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 2 Pet. 3:9.

Life in God is not everlasting because it is aionios, but rather aionios is everlasting because it is referring to life in God.

Conversely, aionios punishment is not temporary because aionios means temporary, but rather aionios is temporary in this context since God’s chastening is curative and incapable of being eternally resisted. “For his anger is but for a moment; His favor is for a life-time: Weeping may tarry for the night, But joy ‘cometh’ in the morning.” Psalm 30:5.

Aionios then, by itself, means an “indeterminate age,” not an “unending age.” Only the context of the passage provides guidance as to the actual quality and duration of the age.

I agree that “their final state is in the Lake of Fire.” (referring to those not in the Lamb’s book of life.) However, I do not think that the “lake of fire” is a process of rehabilitation, but rather completely consumed, no more suffering. One of the so-called church fathers, Origen, is wrong, IMO, if he believes in Universal salvation. The verse in John 3:16 has the word “perish” which doesn’t seem to imply rehabilitation.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

• Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree that “their final state is in the Lake of Fire.” (referring to those not in the Lamb’s book of life.) However, I do not think that the “lake of fire” is a process of rehabilitation, but rather completely consumed, no more suffering. One of the so-called church fathers, Origen, is wrong, IMO, if he believes in Universal salvation. The verse in John 3:16 has the word “perish” which doesn’t seem to imply rehabilitation.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

If that promotes annihilation, it is one of the very few that do. Nevertheless, damnation, annihilation and universal reconciliation can all be supported according to what proof texts you choose. I think God wants us to dig deeper...

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Believing into the Son comes as a result of hearing His call. Most of humanity has never heard the Call of all calls. In fact 15k young children under age 5 worldwide die today and every day.

The next verse (17) declares the love of God in the Lord Isous is NOT condemnation but that the world thru Him might be saved.

" God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again." -MSG-

Will every fallen child of Adam1 be saved, every broken and bruised & tormented soul with zero hope?

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Dear John: The word "perish" is apollumi. I could give you a number of Scriptures using the word, but for now, consider this> > >

"Gather up the fragments that remain, that NOTHING be lost/apollumi."

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Man is without excuse
19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: Romans 1:19, 20

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Dear John: The word "perish" is apollumi. I could give you a number of Scriptures using the word, but for now, consider this> > >

"Gather up the fragments that remain, that NOTHING be lost/apollumi."

You say that as though you think it means something else----It does not!
622. apollumi
Strong's Concordance
apollumi: to destroy, destroy utterly
Original Word: ἀπόλλυμι
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: apollumi
Phonetic Spelling: (ap-ol'-loo-mee)
Definition: to destroy, destroy utterly
Usage: (a) I kill, destroy, (b) I lose, mid: I am perishing (the resultant death being viewed as certain).

So far, none of the Greek words you've been tossing around have meant what you think they do.
Strong's Number: 622
Browse Lexicon
Original Word
Word Origin
apollumi
from (575) and the base of (3639)
Transliterated Word
TDNT Entry
Apollumi
1:394,67
Phonetic Spelling
Parts of Speech
ap-ol'-loo-mee
Verb
Definition
to destroy
to put out of the way entirely, abolish, put an end to ruin
render useless
to kill
to declare that one must be put to death
metaph. to devote or give over to eternal misery in hell
to perish, to be lost, ruined, destroyed
to destroy
to lose
NAS Word Usage - Total: 93
bring 1, destroy 17, destroyed 9, dying 1, end 1, killed 1, lose 10, loses 7, lost 14, much 1, passed away 1, perish 14, perishable 1, perished 4, perishes 1, perishing 6, put to death 1, ruined 3

And you have still not answered my question---You disagree with any length if time for torture, but you version is torture until they submit---why is that torture OK? Refining is not a painless process and you end up with someone who is forced to submit, and be unhappy for eternity.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟981,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Usage: (a) I kill, destroy, (b) I lose, mid: I am perishing (the resultant death being viewed as certain).

Speaking of, with the first definition of apollumi of "to kill utterly" it amazes me that eternal torment proponents somehow try to glean "conscious ruination" out of this term, destroy. That's an argument I have heard a few times over the years, anyway: "Well, destroy doesn't necessarily mean destroy! It can mean to just ruin someone ... which must mean there is consciousness involved! So, errr, ... if you don't buy that, then you willingly go against the obvious truth of eternal torment in hell, so you might be unsaved! Yooooou'd better just watch out!" :rolleyes:

I know you aren't debating with a traditionalist right now, as @FineLinen appears to be for universal reconciliation, unless I have somehow misinterpreted the posts I have seen from him, but I just thought I'd bring this point up. As a side note, i would be ecstatic to find that somehow, some way universalism turns out to be true and everyone eventually comes to Christ. It would make a strange sort of sense as the ultimate outcome of the world and its history, and indeed God would be worthy of praise for it; I only believe in conditional immortality instead as it appears to have more Biblical evidence going for it than universalism (and A LOT more evidence than eternal torment and inherently immortal souls). ... I certainly would find it hilarious to see all of the avid eternal torment champions sputtering and fuming at the Great White Throne if universalism turned out to be the truth somehow. "But but but, Gooooood! What about the immortal worms crawling in and out of their bellies gnawing on them from the inside out for all eternity?! Where's the suffering, the lamentations?! I wanna see You get those filthy sinners!!!"

Reactions: FineLinen
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Speaking of, with the first definition of apollumi of "to kill utterly" it amazes me that eternal torment proponents somehow try to glean "conscious ruination" out of this term, destroy. That's an argument I have heard a few times over the years, anyway: "Well, destroy doesn't necessarily mean destroy! It can mean to just ruin someone ... which must mean there is consciousness involved! So, errr, ... if you don't buy that, then you willingly go against the obvious truth of eternal torment in hell, so you might be unsaved! Yooooou'd better just watch out!" :rolleyes:

I know you aren't debating with a traditionalist right now, as @FineLinen appears to be for universal reconciliation, unless I have somehow misinterpreted the posts I have seen from him, but I just thought I'd bring this point up. As a side note, i would be ecstatic to find that somehow, some way universalism turns out to be true and everyone eventually comes to Christ. It would make a strange sort of sense as the ultimate outcome of the world and its history, and indeed God would be worthy of praise for it; I only believe in conditional immortality instead as it appears to have more Biblical evidence going for it than universalism (and A LOT more evidence than eternal torment and inherently immortal souls). ... I certainly would find it hilarious to see all of the avid eternal torment champions sputtering and fuming at the Great White Throne if universalism turned out to be the truth somehow. "But but but, Gooooood! What about the immortal worms crawling in and out of their bellies gnawing on them from the inside out for all eternity?! Where's the suffering, the lamentations?! I wanna see You get those filthy sinners!!!"

Well, if you think God is going to give eternal life to a worm! Somehow I don't see that as part of :

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

• Agree
Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Dear Sarah: Mankind thinks the Lord is out for justice. We simply cannot bear to think any rotten sinner will escape strong vengeance for their manifold sins. There are actually those who conceive of the Father not satisfied to bring punishment, but must have torment of unending torture added to the mix.

“Do you believe that the God of Jesus loves you beyond worthiness and unworthiness, beyond fidelity and infidelity—that he loves you in the morning sun and in the evening rain—that he loves you when your intellect denies it, your emotions refuse it, your whole being rejects it. Do you believe that God loves without condition or reservation and loves you this moment as you are and not as you should be.” - Brennan Manning-

Justice

http://www.online-literature.com/george-macdonald/unspoken-sermons/31/

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟981,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We simply cannot bear to think any rotten sinner will escape strong vengeance for their manifold sins. There are actually those who conceive of the Father not satisfied to bring punishment, but must have torment of unending torture added to the mix.

And to be sure it is understood, I am not one such person who thinks that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No worries. It is the ones who think that Yahweh will not execute His vengeance as He Says, as His Word Says clearly all along, who face certain judgment , anathema according to the New Testament, because they bring with them a false message that seeks to prevent others from finding the truth and from finding the Kingdom of Heaven.

• Agree
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Dear Sarah: Your post was quite clear. I know you do not believe such a ghastly thing!

St. Steve has begun a thread which is focused on this theme. I do not wish to take away from the subject at hand. If you desire to consider "conditional immortality", please send me a wee P.M. and we shall head for an appropriate thread. If not, your post was excellent. May His exceedingly abundant love & grace be yours!

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
You say that as though you think it means something else----It does not!
622. apollumi
Strong's Concordance
apollumi: to destroy, destroy utterly
Original Word: ἀπόλλυμι
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: apollumi
Phonetic Spelling: (ap-ol'-loo-mee)

So far, none of the Greek words you've been tossing around have meant what you think they do.
Strong's Number: 622
Browse Lexicon
Original Word
Word Origin
apollumi
from (575) and the base of (3639)
Transliterated Word
TDNT Entry
Apollumi
1:394,67
Phonetic Spelling
Parts of Speech
ap-ol'-loo-mee
Verb
Definition
to destroy
to put out of the way entirely, abolish, put an end to ruin
render useless
to kill
to declare that one must be put to death
metaph. to devote or give over to eternal misery in hell
to perish, to be lost, ruined, destroyed
to destroy
to lose
NAS Word Usage - Total: 93
bring 1, destroy 17, destroyed 9, dying 1, end 1, killed 1, lose 10, loses 7, lost 14, much 1, passed away 1, perish 14, perishable 1, perished 4, perishes 1, perishing 6, put to death 1, ruined 3

And you have still not answered my question---You disagree with any length if time for torture, but you version is torture until they submit---why is that torture OK? Refining is not a painless process and you end up with someone who is forced to submit, and be unhappy for eternity.
The false teachings and false teachers are exposed routinely, even daily, but not silenced. We do not have the authority needed on the internet.
Good job, good and faithful servant. (daughter / child of Yahweh)

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟991,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Speaking of, with the first definition of apollumi of "to kill utterly" it amazes me that eternal torment proponents somehow try to glean "conscious ruination" out of this term, destroy. That's an argument I have heard a few times over the years, anyway: "Well, destroy doesn't necessarily mean destroy! It can mean to just ruin someone ... which must mean there is consciousness involved! So, errr, ... if you don't buy that, then you willingly go against the obvious truth of eternal torment in hell, so you might be unsaved! Yooooou'd better just watch out!" ...
The correct definition of a word is not determined by looking at a list of possible definitions in Strong's and eeny meeny miney moe, picking one you like. I have done a study on the word "apollumi."
ἀπόλλυμι/Apollumi occurs 86 times in the NT, of this 68 times, 79%, it cannot mean the destruction/annihilation which some argue supposedly occurs at the final judgment. Here is a list of those meanings.(1) ruin, (2) do not bring about his ruin, (3) put to death, the wicked tenants, (4) he will put the evildoers to a miserable death, (5) destroy the wisdom of the wise, (6) destroy the understanding, (7) lose, (8) lose the reward, (9) lose what we have worked for, (10) lose one’s life, (11) lose oneself, (12) The man who risks his life in battle has the best chance of saving it; the one who flees to save it is most likely to lose it’), (13) ruined, (14) die, the man dies, (15) As a cry of anguish, we are perishing!, (16) of disaster that the stormy sea brings to the seafarer, (17) die by the sword, (18) die of hunger, (19) be corrupted, (20) killed by the snakes, (21) those who are lost, (22) of things be lost, (23) pass away, (24) be ruined, (26) of bursting wineskins, (25) fading beauty, (26) transitory beauty of gold, (27) passing splendor, (28) Of earthly food, (29) spoiled honey, (30) Of falling hair, (31) a member or organ of the body, (32) remnants of food, (33) of wine that has lost its flavor, (34) of sheep gone astray, (35) Of a lost son [that returned].

…..Here is the definition of apollumi from BDAG, one of, if not, the most highly accredited Greek lexicons available

ἀπόλλυμι for its conjug. s. B-D-F §101 (s.v. ὄλλυμι); W-S. §14, 18; Rob. 317; fut. ἀπολέσω Hs 8, 7, 5; Att. ἀπολῶ 1 Cor 1:19 (Is 29:14; ParJer 1:1, 8); 1 aor. ἀπώλεσα; 1 pf. ἀπολώλεκα. Mid.: fut. ἀπολοῦμαι Lk 13:3; 2 aor. ἀπωλόμην; the 2 pf. ἀπόλωλα functions as a pf. mid.; ptc. ἀπολωλώς (Hom.+).
to cause or experience destructionⓐ act. ruin, destroy
α. of pers. (Sir 10:3) Mk 1:24; Lk 4:34. W. ref. to eternal destruction μὴ ἐκεῖνον ἀπόλλυε do not bring about his ruin ton 2, 8, 1) Js 4:12; Hs 9, 23, 4. Of Ro 14:15. Esp. kill, put to death (Gen 20:4; Esth 9:6 v.l.; 1 Macc 2:37; Jos., C. Ap. 1, 122; Mel., P. 84, 635 [Ch.] τὸν ἐχθρόν σου) Hs 9, 26, 7. παιδίον Mt 2:13; Jesus 12:14; 27:20; Mk 3:6; 11:18; Lk 19:47; B 12:5; the wicked tenants κακοὺς κακῶς ἀ. (s. κακός 1a) he will put the evildoers to a miserable death Mt 21:41. τοὺς γεωργούς Mk 12:9; Lk 20:16; τ. φονεῖς Mt 22:7; τ. μὴ πιστεύσαντας those who did not believe Jd 5; πάντας Lk 17:27, 29. W. σῶσαι (like Charito 2, 8,1) Js 4:12: H9, 3, 4. eternal death (Herm. Wr. 4, 7; Tat. 11:2 ἀπώλεσεν ἡμᾶς τὸ αὐτέξουσιον) ψυχὴν κ. σῶμα ἀ. ἐν γεέννῃ Mt 10:28; ψυχήν B 20:1; τ. ψυχάς Hs 9, 26, 3 (cp. Sir 20:22).
β. w. impers. obj. ἀ. τ. σοφίαν τ. σοφῶν destroy the wisdom of the wise 1 Cor 1:19 (Is 29:14). ἀ. τ. διάνοιαν destroy the understanding Hm 11:1 (cp. Just., D. 93, 1 τὰς φυσικὰς ἐννοίας). γ. without obj. J 10:10.
ⓑ mid. perish, be ruined
α. of pers. perish, die (schol. on Nicander, Ther. 188 ἀπόλλυται ὁ ἀνήρ=the man dies υσθαι) 1 Cl 51:5; 55:6; B 5:4, 12; D 16:5; Hs 6, 2, 1f. As a cry of anguish ἀπολλύμεθα we are perishing! (Epict. 2, 19, 16 [in a storm-tossed vessel]; PPetr II, 4 [1], 4f νυνὶ δὲ ἀπολλύμεθα) Mt 8:25; Mk 4:38; Lk 8:24 (Arrian, Peripl. 3, 3 of disaster that the stormy sea brings to the seafarer). ἐν μαχαίρῃ ἀ. die by the sword Mt 26:52. λιμῷ of hunger (Ezk 34:29) Lk 15:17. τῇ ἀντιλογίᾳ τοῦ Κόρε Jd 11c (because of 11a and b it should perh. = be corrupted ; cp. Polyb. 32, 23, 6). ὑπό τινος (Hdt. 5. 126; Dio Chrys. 13 [7], 12) ὑπὸ τ. ὄφεων killed by the snakes 1 Cor 10:9; cp. vs. 10. Abs. of a people perish J 11:50. Of individuals (Lev 23:30) Ac 5:37; 2 Pt 3:9; 1 Cl 12:6; 39:5 (Job 4:20).—Esp. of eternal death (cp. Ps 9:6f; 36:20; 67:3; 72:27; 82:18; 91:10; Is 41:11) J 3:16; 17:12. ἀπολέσθαι εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα perish forever 10:28 (Bar 3:3 ἡμεῖς ἀπολλύμενοι τὸν αἰῶνα). ἀνόμως ἀ. Ro 2:12; μωρῶς ἀ. IEph 17:2 (cp. ἀσκόπως Just., D. 8, 4); ἐν καυχήσει because of boasting ITr 4:1; cp. IPol 5:2. Abs. 1 Cor 8:11; 15:18; 2 Cl 17:1.—οἱ ἀπολλύμενοι (opp. οἱ σῳζόμενοι, as in Plut., Mor. 469d) those who are lost 1 Cor 1:18; 2 Cor 2:15; 4:3; 2 Th 2:10; 2 Cl 1:4; 2:5. For this τὸ ἀπολωλός Lk 19:10 (Mt 18:10 v.l.—Ezk 34:4, 16). τὰ ἀπολλύμενα 2 Cl 2:7 (cp. SIG 417, 9 τὰ τε ἀπολωλότα ἐκ τ. ἱεροῦ ἀνέσωσαν). S. also 3b end.
β. of things be lost, pass away, be ruined (Jos., Bell. 2, 650 of Jerusalem; Tat. 17, 2 πάθος … ἀπολλύμενον) of bursting wineskins Mt 9:17; Mk 2:22; Lk 5:37; fading beauty Js 1:11; transitory beauty of gold
1 Pt 1:7. AcPl Ha 2, 24; [χρυσὸς]| γὰρ ἀπόλλυται 9:8f; passing splendor Rv 18:14 (w. ἀπό as Jer 10:11; Da 7:17). Of earthly food J 6:27; spoiled honey Hm 5, 1, 5; σαρκὸς ἀπολλυμένης AcPlCor 2:15. Of the heavens which, like the earth, will pass away Hb 1:11 (Ps 101:27). Of the end of the world Hv 4, 3, 3, Of the way of the godless, which is lost in darkness B 11:7 (Ps 1:6). μὴ … τὸ μνημόσυνον [ὑμῶν]| ἀπόλιτε (read ἀπόληται) AcPl Ha 1, 22f.
to fail to obtain what one expects or anticipates, lose out on, lose (X., Pla.+; PPetr III, 51, 5; POxy 743, 23; PFay 111, 3ff; Sir 6:3; 9:6; 27:16 al.; Tob 7:6 BA; 4 Macc 2:14; Tat. 8, τὸν ἐρώμενον; 15, 1) τ. μισθόν lose the reward Mt 10:42; Mk 9:41; Hs 5, 6, 7. δραχμήν (Dio Chrys. 70 [20], 25) Lk 15:8f; ἀ. ἃ ἠργασάμεθα lose what we have worked for 2J 8. διαθήκην B 4:7, 8. τὴν ζωὴν τ. ἀνθρώπων Hm 2:1; cp. Hs 8, 6, 6; 8, 7, 5; 8, 8, 2f and 5. τὴν ἐλπίδα m 5, 1, 7.
to lose someth. that one already has or be separated from a normal connection, lose, be lost
ⓐ act. w. colloq. flavor ἵνα πᾶν ὃ δέδωκέν μοι μή ἀπολέσω ἐξ αὐτοῦ that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me J 6:39 (B-D-F §466, 3 on Semitic assoc.; Rob. 437; 753).—ἀ. τὴν ψυχήν (cp. Sir 20:22) lose one’s life Mt 10:39; 16:25; Mk 8:35; Lk 9:24; 17:33; cp. J 12:25. For this ἀ. ἑαυτόν lose oneself Lk 9:25 (similar in form is Tyrtaeus [VII b.c.], Fgm. 8 Diehl2 lines 11–14: ‘One who risks his life in battle has the best chance of saving it; one who flees to save it is most likely to lose it’).
ⓑ mid. (Antiphon: Diels, Vorsokrat. 87, Fgm. 54 ἀπολόμενον ἀργύριον; X., Symp. 1, 5; 1 Km 9:3; Tat. 9, 2) ISm 10:1. Of falling hair Lk 21:18; Ac 27:34; a member or organ of the body Mt 5:29f; remnants of food J 6:12. Of wine that has lost its flavor Hm 12, 5, 3.— Of sheep gone astray Mt 10:6; 15:24; Lk 15:4, 6; B 5:12 (cp. Jer 27:6; Ezk 34:4; Ps 118:176). Of a lost son Lk 15:24 (Artem. 4, 33 ἡ γυνὴ … τ. υἱὸν ἀπώλεσε καὶ … εὗρεν αὐτόν); of humanity in general ἀπολλύμενος ἐζητήθη ἵνα ζωοποιηθῇ διὰ τῆς υἱοθεσίας when lost, humanity was sought, so that it might regain life through acceptance into sonship AcPlCor 2:8 (cp. 1bα.—JSchniewind, D. Gleichn. vom verl. Sohn ’40). ἀ. θεῷ be lost to God Hs 8, 6, 4 (cod. A for ἀπέθανον).—B. 758. DELG s.v. ὄλλυμι. M-M. TW.[1]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] Arndt, W., Danker, F. W., Bauer, W., & Gingrich, F. W. (2000).
Link to 1957r edition online. A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, Gingrich & Danker (3rd ed., pp. 115–116). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.

Upvote 0