USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Part of the problem I think with Calvary is that Churches are governed more by the Pastor and not by a ministry counsel or board of elders. So in effect the Pastor ends up being the CEO of the congregation. This puts a lot of added responsibility on the Pastor and also gives him more reason to glory in himself.
Even though I am not pro-Calvary Chapel, I think their form of Church governance matches the book of Acts and the very early Church rather well. That is, until the bishops became power crazy, presumably to defend the faith from heretics.

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
we have harvest here in riverside,what i dont like about this cc offshoot it is christian zionist and trinity broadcasting affiliated.
This reminds me of another complaint: Peter bashing:
  • Peter followed at a distance. Yes, he got as close as possible, putting himself in danger.
  • Peter sank in the water. Yes, but he's the only person in the world to ever walk on water (except Jesus).

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Calvary Chapel churches are not charismatic nor are they anti-Catholic. They are fundamental in their Biblical beliefs and evangelical in their outreach to the unsaved.
They are not anti-Catholic? Ha ha, nice try at a joke.

They are not charismatic? Then why do they speak in tongues and emphasize the gifts of the Spirit so strongly?

Yes, as you note; they are fundamental in their Biblical beliefs and evangelical in their outreach to the unsaved.

Upvote 0

Sojourner1

Following my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2004
California
✟498,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They are not anti-Catholic? Ha ha, nice try at a joke.

They are not charismatic? Then why do they speak in tongues and emphasize the gifts of the Spirit so strongly?

Yes, as you note; they are fundamental in their Biblical beliefs and evangelical in their outreach to the unsaved.

I've attended several calvary chapel churches in different states and no one has ever spoken in tongues. No one has ever discussed Catholic beliefs in any of the services I have been to.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I've attended several calvary chapel churches in different states and no one has ever spoken in tongues. No one has ever discussed Catholic beliefs in any of the services I have been to.

I haven't attended in person, but i have listened on the radio, and i've never heard either one either.

Reactions: Sojourner1
Upvote 0

Sojourner1

Following my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2004
California
✟498,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mod Hat On

The purpose of having a thread discussing what people don't like about this faith community doesn't make a whole lot of sense and it doesn't fit with the SoP for this forum. This thread is now closed.

Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.