Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus said that in this world you will have tribulation.

John 16:33
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

When I said "judgement" I was speaking of when Jesus sits on his glorious throne and judges the nations.

the greek word used for nations in matthew 25:32 is the greek word used in luke 7:5; luke 23:2; john 11:48; john 11:50-53; john 18:35; acts of the apostles 10:22; acts of the apostles 24:2

Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
the greek word used for nations in matthew 25:32 is the greek word used in luke 7:5; luke 23:2; john 11:48; john 11:50-53; john 18:35; acts of the apostles 10:22; acts of the apostles 24:2

So are you saying that "nations" doesn't really mean nations?

Upvote 0

random person

1 COR. 10:11; HEB. 1:2; HEB. 9:26,28; 1 PET. 1:20
Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
So are you saying that "nations" doesn't really mean nations?

during the times of the romans the holy land was broken up into regions/provinces there was galilee, samaria, judea, idumea, perea, decapolis, gaulanitis, batanea, auranitis, etc. not to mention the deceased. the judgment of the living and the dead acts of the apostles 10:42 & 2 timothy 4:1.

Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
during the times of the romans the holy land was broken up into regions/provinces there was galilee, samaria, judea, idumea, perea, decapolis, gaulanitis, batanea, auranitis, etc. not to mention the deceased. the judgment of the living and the dead acts of the apostles 10:42 & 2 timothy 4:1.

I take the word nations to mean: all the peoples of the world collectively.

Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

in the hebrew, the most common word used scripturely for world is erets

in the greek, the most common word used scripturely for world is ge

both share identical multiple meanings such as earth, world, land, soil, territory, country, etc

however matthew 24:14 uses a different greek word for world and that is oikoumene which means exclusively roman lands because the rest of the world were considered barbarians by the romans that identical definition and meaning was adopted from the hellenist greeks. once the gospel spreads through the roman empire the age (mosaic age) comes to an end circa 70 a.d.

Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
in the hebrew, the most common word used scripturely for world is erets
Which refers to land (as opposed to water) in general and specifically the land given to the Israelites.

If referring to the world in general, the word usually is 'olam. But that word is very sensitive to the prefixes/suffixes. Ha'olam is the physical world; i.e. the earth. L'olam refers to time (all time) and L'olam va-ed refers to eternity.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In Hebrew, the word for nation is goy, with the plural being goyim.

Israel is called a nation in the singular, but the reference of nations in the plural is everyone EXCEPT Israel. (the goyim, aka gentiles)

Upvote 0

GracetotheHumble

Theology of the Cross
Mar 30, 2015
✟3,726.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
In Hebrew, the word for nation is goy, with the plural being goyim.

Israel is called a nation in the singular, but the reference of nations in the plural is everyone EXCEPT Israel. (the goyim, aka gentiles)

But I was speaking of the parable of the sheep and the goats where Jesus states that all nations will be gathered before him. I am sure this refers to Jews as well as gentiles.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But I was speaking of the parable of the sheep and the goats where Jesus states that all nations will be gathered before him. I am sure this refers to Jews as well as gentiles.
Probably. But the problem is HE was speaking in Aramaic while the scripture comes down to us in Greek. That is not a 1 to 1 translation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, let me start off by saying that I really do like Calvary Chapel. But there are a few things I have found that I really don't like about it. They are:

1. No focus on the sacrament. Out of all the Calvary Chapels I went to we never took communion. I find this very disturbing.

We attended Calvary Chapel of Honolulu in the 90s, Bill Stonebraker pastor. Of all the congregations we attended during and after my highly mobile military years, that was one of only two I could whole-heartedly recommend to anyone.

If you never saw a communion occur in 10 years, I would suggest you're not attending the service that congregation does communion. In some cases, they have services--particularly the Sunday morning traditionally scheduled service--that is designed for visitors with a non-member-oriented (more evangelistic) message. They may have a different service explicitly designed for members with a member-oriented message (one that might, for instance, point to issues peculiar to that congregation, congregational finance matters, et cetera), and that service may also be when the congregationally private matter of communion occurs.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am sure that preterism is NOT a doctrinal plank of the Calvary Chapel. That discussion should be taken to another forum.

Can't be preterist and pre-trib at the same time, and they're definitely pre-trib.

Upvote 0

Jesuscentered

Jul 27, 2017
Ontario
✟10,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
What do I "Not" like about CCs?... Where do I start?

1). Too political
2). Too much focus on end times
3) Too cultural
4) Jesus is no longer the center of everything
5) Just about keeping the masses happy... lost interest in witnessing through love and compassion.

They've lost their focus (Or, at least the one I went to for many years has). It's strayed so much that I consider it cult like now. I know what you're thinking... but sorry, it's my honest opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There is no such thing as a seven year tribulation, it is found no where in scripture. We have been in tribulation since Christ came.

The wrath to come is clearly eternity without Christ.
Yes. It's so obvious.

Upvote 0

Sojourner1

Following my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2004
California
✟498,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What don't I like about Calvary Chapel?
  • They are fundamentalist evangelical Protestant.
  • They are charismatic.
  • They are anti-Catholic.
  • They are young earth creationist.
  • They believe in the rapture.

Calvary Chapel churches are not charismatic nor are they anti-Catholic. They are fundamental in their Biblical beliefs and evangelical in their outreach to the unsaved.

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The last day is the final day of this world before the new heavens and new earth; after that the resurrection occurs and we are with Christ for eternity.
Thank you for mentioning the new heavens and new earth. This should be shouted from the rooftops, it's such a glorious hope.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.