What Good Is Darwinian Evolution?

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
I agree. One would have to prove that similarity equals transition.

That is how a transition is determined, by similarities.

More importantly, the theory of evolution predicts which transitionals we should see, and which we should not see. For example, the theory predicts that we should see transitionals with a mixture of basal ape and derived human features. The theory also predicts that we should NOT see fossils with a mixture of basal ape and derived bird features, such as apes with feathers. The theory predicts a nested hierarchy, and the mixture of features in fossils allows us to test those predictions.

In other words, we accept the theory of evolution because it is capable of explaining why we see the transitional fossils we do see, and why we don't see other transitional fossils. Creationism is not able to do that.

Upvote 0

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is how a transition is determined, by similarities.

More importantly, the theory of evolution predicts which transitionals we should see, and which we should not see. For example, the theory predicts that we should see transitionals with a mixture of basal ape and derived human features. The theory also predicts that we should NOT see fossils with a mixture of basal ape and derived bird features, such as apes with feathers. The theory predicts a nested hierarchy, and the mixture of features in fossils allows us to test those predictions.

In other words, we accept the theory of evolution because it is capable of explaining why we see the transitional fossils we do see, and why we don't see other transitional fossils. Creationism is not able to do that.

No, you have guesses and suppositions for the similarities. Creationism also has guesses and suppositions for similarities. In the former, faith is in only naturalistic mechanisms, in the latter, faith is in a creator.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
No, you have guesses and suppositions for the similarities. Creationism also has guesses and suppositions for similarities. In the former, faith is in only naturalistic mechanisms, in the latter, faith is in a creator.

Then I guess gravity is just a supposition, then I guess our own existence is just a supposition, I guess it is impossible to answer anything ever because it is all a supposition.

Upvote 0

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then I guess gravity is just a supposition, then I guess our own existence is just a supposition, I guess it is impossible to answer anything ever because it is all a supposition.

Eventually, it's all about who/what we've placed our faith in.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Godless creationism? Try as hard as you may, but the issue isn't about gravity or thermodynamics, the issue is about how all life came into existence.

Which isn't covered by evolutionary theory, which only covers how the already existing life changes over time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Can you? Do you?

I don't believe in deities, you know that. But I do know people who support evolution as having no deity involved and yet are Christian, as well as being a part of other religions depending on the individual of course.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe in deities, you know that. But I do know people who support evolution as having no deity involved and yet are Christian, as well as being a part of other religions depending on the individual of course.

Well, that would involve discussion of the acceptance or denial of scripture which is outside the scope of this board.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Godless creationism? Try as hard as you may, but the issue isn't about gravity or thermodynamics, the issue is about how all life came into existence.

Yes, it is the issue. You are rejecting scientific explanations because they do not incorporate the actions of a deity. Gravity and thermodynamics are just as purposeless, undirected, and purposeless as evolution. If you reject evolution because of these features, then you reject all scientific theories.

That's what is at issue. You are rejecting all of science.

Upvote 0

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is the issue. You are rejecting scientific explanations because they do not incorporate the actions of a deity. Gravity and thermodynamics are just as purposeless, undirected, and purposeless as evolution. If you reject evolution because of these features, then you reject all scientific theories.

That's what is at issue. You are rejecting all of science.

I'm rejecting the faith-based, Godless creationist view of humanity.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
You can have faith in the unseen. As we all do.

We can see transitional fossils. We can see a nested hierarchy. We can see shared features consistent with shared ancestry and evolution. We can see all of the observations that are consistent with the theory of evolution. No faith is needed.

Upvote 0