What games should be allowed for adults?

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,165,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it all boils down to you and how gaming makes you feel.
I've had a very long experience with large amount of videogames within a few genres, mainly rpgs and mmorpgs as well as strategic games of all subtypes.

The problem with videogames is they distance me from God in a way or another. I tried even relaxing ones where you raise crops and feel like an ascetic farmer. I played games where your moral choices decline your character. I tried games with Christian elements, historical ones. Nothing made me feel as if it was justly spent time. And distanced me from God. In the end God aided me and I was cleansed from these passions, and renounced most videogames.

I also play Pokemon and I named my team with biblical names and all. I picked mediocre ones just because I encountered them on my trip or because they looked friendly in their aesthetics. It doesn't work.

To sum up what I do now, I play only very little when I have time to spare. Before touching I game I try to force myself into doing the daily reads of Scriptures as prescribed by the Church plus free reading of some other religious text. Then I do all my prayers, and shortly before sleeping I play a bit on my Nintendo DS.

That's really interesting. What about a non-video game, say a classic card game like hearts or other classic non-video games? Was the key bad thing that it is an animated visual game? (I'm not trying to advocate you should play any games of any kind, but there are some social games of course, like darts, bowling, cards played with others, etc., and I wonder about those in your view.)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it all boils down to you and how gaming makes you feel.
I've had a very long experience with large amount of videogames within a few genres, mainly rpgs and mmorpgs as well as strategic games of all subtypes.

The problem with videogames is they distance me from God in a way or another. I tried even relaxing ones where you raise crops and feel like an ascetic farmer. I played games where your moral choices decline your character. I tried games with Christian elements, historical ones. Nothing made me feel as if it was justly spent time. And distanced me from God. In the end God aided me and I was cleansed from these passions, and renounced most videogames.

I also play Pokemon and I named my team with biblical names and all. I picked mediocre ones just because I encountered them on my trip or because they looked friendly in their aesthetics. It doesn't work.

To sum up what I do now, I play only very little when I have time to spare. Before touching I game I try to force myself into doing the daily reads of Scriptures as prescribed by the Church plus free reading of some other religious text. Then I do all my prayers, and shortly before sleeping I play a bit on my Nintendo DS.
I think these are very good points. That's my main thing with video games. They can be addictive and they waste time that is better spent doing something else. So care has to be taken that they don't replace what we should be doing, or take too much time.

They just don't have the same draw for me they used to, so I'm ok. In fact, I suspect my controller is probably dead. I put it next to my chair last week thinking I'd play for a bit (I've been really sick and spent a lot of time sitting). I didn't ... but I kept leaving it there thinking I would. I just never did. So it's probably dead now.

But I used to waste a lot of time on them.

I guess it's good. I find a game I like, and it keeps me busy for up to a couple of years lol. Especially the ones now that offer new things in the replay.

Reactions: Ioannes
Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For my part about video games, It comes down to where your heart is, what your desire for the game is, and if you have problem distinguishing between reality and a video game (I do not).

I would ask myself what is my desire in playing this game?
1. If it is, just to relax or to play with friends and family for our mutual pleasure, then sure.
2. If it is because of any reason that leads to or is in support of a sin, then run from it.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟183,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Board games would be fine:
Risk
Yahtzee
Sorry
Monopoly

Monopoly, the game that kills friendships and destroys families should never be played :p As for card games, Euchre is a life and death game with my wife's family (from Michigan), while my family believed that bridge was grounds for disowning someone if you misbid No Trump over the person holding 7 hearts.

There are a lot of Eurogames which are great fun such as Settlers of Catan, 7 Wonders and Ticket to Ride. Check out Wil Wheaton's Tabletop series on Youtube. He gathers various celebrities to play new games so you can see if you want to go out and get them yourself.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Euchre is a life and death game with my wife's family (from Michigan),
LOL!!!! My family (except my maternal grandfather) were all big pinochle fans, but he taught me euchre (also from Michigan) and I played that game frequently for decades.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,165,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think these are very good points. That's my main thing with video games. They can be addictive and they waste time that is better spent doing something else. So care has to be taken that they don't replace what we should be doing, or take too much time.

They just don't have the same draw for me they used to, so I'm ok. In fact, I suspect my controller is probably dead. I put it next to my chair last week thinking I'd play for a bit (I've been really sick and spent a lot of time sitting). I didn't ... but I kept leaving it there thinking I would. I just never did. So it's probably dead now.

But I used to waste a lot of time on them.

I guess it's good. I find a game I like, and it keeps me busy for up to a couple of years lol. Especially the ones now that offer new things in the replay.

hmmm....you used to 'waste time' (me too; it was an escape, but so is reading novels, there are so many kinds of escape), but we seem to have turned out ok, and seem to have moved on from that. I wonder about any further aspects because I let my 11 yr old daughter play what appear to be innocuous video games, some of the 'family' type stuff on the old wii for instance, including for example Mario Kart, where the goal is to win a race, but will include bumping and other actions to cause others to lose that race (sort of like football has bumping but less pointed than football). Then there is the more questionable one where recently a friend of the family visited (person in their 30s) and brought along some kind of Mario game where the characters are in an endless brawl, in which they are often knocked out, but then always recover and continue fighting, until times up, and the score is how many hits they made I think. Here the punches and blows seem like an over-the-top free for all street fight but never fatal, no blood, and so it's less obvious whether it's an ok thing. Like is boxing ok? Well, I think boxing matches on TV aren't so great, but what about simulated boxing? This is definitely over in the grey area and maybe a bad influence, but I just now am having to to consider it, because that friend will cheerfully play other games I think, more on the order of defeating aggressive plants and animals and such, etc. (We outlawed the Fortnite game showed above, to much protest).

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
hmmm....you used to 'waste time' (me too; it was an escape, but so is reading novels, there are so many kinds of escape), but we seem to have turned out ok, and seem to have moved on from that. I wonder about any further aspects because I let my 11 yr old daughter play what appear to be innocuous video games, some of the 'family' type stuff on the old wii for instance, including for example Mario Kart, where the goal is to win a race, but will include bumping and other actions to cause others to lose that race (sort of like football has bumping but less pointed than football). Then there is the more questionable one where recently a friend of the family visited (person in their 30s) and brought along some kind of Mario game where the characters are in an endless brawl, in which they are often knocked out, but then always recover and continue fighting, until times up, and the score is how many hits they made I think. Here the punches and blows seem like an over-the-top free for all street fight but never fatal, no blood, and so it's less obvious whether it's an ok thing. Like is boxing ok? Well, I think boxing matches on TV aren't so great, but what about simulated boxing? This is definitely over in the grey area and maybe a bad influence, but I just now am having to to consider it, because that friend will cheerfully play other games I think, more on the order of defeating aggressive plants and animals and such, etc. (We outlawed the Fortnite game showed above, to much protest).
I think it's hard to know the ultimate effects. Like anything else in life, I think the Holy Spirit works with us where we allow Him.

I'm not perfectly good at avoiding "wasting time" - not by a LONG shot to me, but I think it's because I'm very aware of it. I guess if I'm going to watch tv, I try to be folding laundry or handling paperwork or something constructive at the same time.

But as for games, I have little ones I keep. Two math puzzles a day they send me, or example, and most days I play them. They usually only take 7-15 minutes each. I feel as though it helps to keep my brain active in that way, but I do enjoy them. Maybe a quick strategy game here and there the same way - like a really difficult solitaire game.

My daughter used to play similar games as the ones you describe from about the ages of 8-12. They weren't overtly evil - maybe racing games where you could bump or cut someone off, but no going out and slicing up enemies. She was pretty into it. Now she's in her early 20s and can't be bothered with video games, though her fiancée likes them and she sometimes hangs out with him to spend time together while he plays. But I think we really can't be sure how anyone will be affected. I'm thankful she's even more balanced concerning them than I am. But some folks live in their parents' basement and are lifelong gamers. I don't know why.

I had a nephew who got into video games when first person shooters with realism were first coming out. He LOVED the very violent ones. It didn't have a good effect on him. Or maybe it's more accurate to say that something in him that caused him to love the violence in the games - wasn't good for him? I'm not sure.

I know I don't buy into Freud's idea that simulations channel bad energy into safe outlets and prevent it coming out otherwise. I think it's more true that what we feed in ourselves, tends to grow.

Upvote 0

Ioannes

Orthodox Catechumen, ROCOR.
Sep 14, 2018
Bologna, Italy
✟10,910.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's really interesting. What about a non-video game, say a classic card game like hearts or other classic non-video games? Was the key bad thing that it is an animated visual game? (I'm not trying to advocate you should play any games of any kind, but there are some social games of course, like darts, bowling, cards played with others, etc., and I wonder about those in your view.)

there's no way this can be wrong. Just be careful to play soberly and with proper company. If the company is sinful then it's better to play on a console at home.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,165,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's hard to know the ultimate effects. Like anything else in life, I think the Holy Spirit works with us where we allow Him.

I'm not perfectly good at avoiding "wasting time" - not by a LONG shot to me, but I think it's because I'm very aware of it. I guess if I'm going to watch tv, I try to be folding laundry or handling paperwork or something constructive at the same time.

But as for games, I have little ones I keep. Two math puzzles a day they send me, or example, and most days I play them. They usually only take 7-15 minutes each. I feel as though it helps to keep my brain active in that way, but I do enjoy them. Maybe a quick strategy game here and there the same way - like a really difficult solitaire game.

My daughter used to play similar games as the ones you describe from about the ages of 8-12. They weren't overtly evil - maybe racing games where you could bump or cut someone off, but no going out and slicing up enemies. She was pretty into it. Now she's in her early 20s and can't be bothered with video games, though her fiancée likes them and she sometimes hangs out with him to spend time together while he plays. But I think we really can't be sure how anyone will be affected. I'm thankful she's even more balanced concerning them than I am. But some folks live in their parents' basement and are lifelong gamers. I don't know why.

I had a nephew who got into video games when first person shooters with realism were first coming out. He LOVED the very violent ones. It didn't have a good effect on him. Or maybe it's more accurate to say that something in him that caused him to love the violence in the games - wasn't good for him? I'm not sure.

I know I don't buy into Freud's idea that simulations channel bad energy into safe outlets and prevent it coming out otherwise. I think it's more true that what we feed in ourselves, tends to grow.

That last sentence is useful for me to think on here regarding choices here. It's often how we have handled things -- looking to see what's the effect: what's the mood afterwards. But it's useful to remember to use that way of handling things.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bottom line for me: if it makes me feel uncomfortable, or if I wouldn't want my wife to know I played it, or if my wife would not play it because of theme/content... all good reasons to say no to a game to board games [I have over a couple hundred] and video games [of which I have a couple dozen or so].

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟963,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Here is a hard question. What games should be allowed and what should not be allowed?

Video, card, board, or outdoor games like the following: hide & seek, cops & robbers, GTA, Pokemon, Skyrim, Mario Kart, fallout, Uno, Connect Four, call of duty, MTG, and so on.
Whatever doesn't bother your conscience, (too much) I say...

I'm knee deep into Skyrim right now, awesome game, and I've always really liked the Elder Scrolls series, I really like the story and the conflict over this Talos God character, much like our world with Christ if you ask me, and I wonder if that's what the game designers were thinking as well...

Are you at all familiar with it, (the game or it's story or setting)...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whatever doesn't bother your conscience, (too much) I say...

I'm knee deep into Skyrim right now, awesome game, and I've always really liked the Elder Scrolls series, I really like the story and the conflict over this Talos God character, much like our world with Christ if you ask me, and I wonder if that's what the game designers were thinking as well...

Are you at all familiar with it, (the game or it's story or setting)...?

God Bless!

I am quite familiar with all of Skyrim and I am quite a fan of all of the Elder Scrolls with the exception of Elder Scrolls Online. And you're right, he does have some similarities to Christ.

I am knee deep in their other main game series Fallout, mostly the Fallout 76 bata.

Upvote 0

Archer_on_Fire

Oct 17, 2018
West coast
✟4,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am seeing your point and I agree.

What about in video games. What if you are play a game that requires your character in the game to get drunk, but I do not drink physical, is it ok?

Yes it’s fine. Stop overthinking things.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟963,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I am quite familiar with all of Skyrim and I am quite a fan of all of the Elder Scrolls with the exception of Elder Scrolls Online. And you're right, he does have some similarities to Christ.

I am knee deep in their other main game series Fallout, mostly the Fallout 76 bata.
Yeah, I'm still on an Xbox360, I want to get a PS4 soon, but can't afford it right now, Fallout is cool too, but I am rather a little more fond of a kind of "medieval" fantasy type setting myself though... But I love a lot of RPG's, and flying fighter jet games, like the Ace Combat series, and racing games, and some first person shooters sometimes, though I'm not very good at those very much though (found that out online)...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

MyLordYeshuaTheMessiah

Nov 12, 2017
london
✟29,887.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is a hard question. What games should be allowed and what should not be allowed?

Video, card, board, or outdoor games like the following: hide & seek, cops & robbers, GTA, Pokemon, Skyrim, Mario Kart, fallout, Uno, Connect Four, call of duty, MTG, and so on.
Pokemon is rooted in occultism. Do some research before getting involved in these games.

Ignorant unbelievers meddle in things like ouija boards and tarot cards. Because they don't care or couldn't care less about the roots.
So how believers treat these things, they should treat all things with discernment.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟293,749.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Interesting question as to whether adults should play a game like Pokemon, ostensibly a game made for kids. Each new entry gets more child friendly and playing it in public as an adult sounds like a loosing proposition if you care what others think about you. (They might think He/She is still a child playing Pokemon). I don't think there's anything immoral with it, but there is a social consideration.

I'm more concerned about the amount of time adults invest video games. This is a problem I've experienced in the past, spending way to much time playing video games when I could be learning or doing something more productive with my time. That to me is far more important than the morality of playing any particular game, as I think we have obligations outside of entertainment.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,117,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now if given a choice for my future kids I'd have them play board game and what not over video games. Unless of course there is a game that doesn't require mature things. Like City Skylines which lets you build cities and what not. I'd say Minecraft too because you can put it on Creative mode and there are no bad guys to kill. Just build away and have fun.
Here is an online Christian game that my oldest grandson played a lot when he was younger. It's called Big Bible Town.
New Video Game Reaches Kids for Christ - Christian Newswire

Upvote 0