What form was the 2nd person of the Trinity (Jesus) in before He took on flesh?

Jack0311

Jul 25, 2020
Texas
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because when the Bible says that God is spirit, that applies to the whole Trinity.

So because God is spirit and Jesus was a man, born of a woman was He not God in the flesh?

The answer to my OP is in scripture and you've read it many times. Who is Jesus? Answer that and you pretty much have the answer.

Upvote 0

Jack0311

Jul 25, 2020
Texas
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to the first Christians, for example, the angel of the Lord who appeared to Moses in a flame of fire out of a bush (Ex 3:2) was Christ himself.

Let's read Justin Martyr (100–165 AD): " For at that juncture, when Moses was ordered to go down into Egypt and lead out the people of the Israelites who were there, and while he was tending the flocks of his maternal uncle in the land of Arabia, our Christ conversed with him under the appearance of fire
from a bush, and said, “Put off thy shoes, and draw near and hear. And he, when he had put off his shoes and drawn near, heard that he was to go down into Egypt and lead out the people of the Israelites there; and he received mighty power from Christ, who spoke to him in the appearance of fire, and went down and led out the people
” (First Apology, LXII).
So you don't have an actual question then; you're just building up to reveal whatever u you're selling.

You're getting somewhere.
What is an angel?
Jesus or Christ had yet to be born so do you mean the 2nd person of the Trinity? If so, what was his form?
When or where is the first time that you see the 2nd person of the Trinity in scripture?

"Unorthodox theology" belongs to the religious, I'm not a religious person.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So because God is spirit and Jesus was a man, born of a woman was He not God in the flesh?

Jesus is the pre-existent Logos, the Second Person of the Trinity, incarnate as a man, but without losing His divinity.

Who is Jesus?

We believe in ... ONE Lord Jesus Christ, (Acts of the Apostles 11:17)
the Son of God, (Matthew 14:33; Matthew 16:16)
the Only-Begotten, (John 1:18; John 3:16)
Begotten of the Father before all ages. (John 1:2)
Light of Light; (Psalms 27:1; John 8:12; Matthew 17:2-5)
True God of True God; (John 17:1-5)
Begotten, not made; (John 1:18)
of one essence with the Father; (John 10:30)
by whom all things were made; (Hebrews 1:1-2)
Who for us men and for our salvation (1 Timothy 2:4-5)
came down from Heaven, (John 6:33-35)
and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, (Luke 1:35)
and became man. (John 1:14)
And was crucified for us (Mark 15:25; 1 Corinthians 15:3)
under Pontius Pilate, (John 19:6)
and suffered, (Mark 8:31)
and was buried. (Luke 23:53; 1 Corinthians 15:4)
And the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures. (Luke 24:1 1 Corinthians 15:4)
And ascended into Heaven, (Luke 24:51; Acts of the Apostles 1:10)
and sits at the right hand of the Father. (Mark 16:19; Acts of the Apostles 7:55)
And He shall come again with glory (Matthew 24:27)
to judge the living and the dead; (Acts of the Apostles 10:42; 2 Timothy 4:1)
whose Kingdom shall have no end. (2 Peter 1:11)

Anything that contradicts that is heresy.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In reading the OT we can clearly see the 1st and 3rd persons of the Trinity in action but the 2nd person isn't as clear or visible, and we don't actually see Him. If you looked to the heavens before He took on flesh you'd see God the Father on His throne and the Holy Spirit but where is the 2nd person? If we look to the heavens now after He took on flesh we clearly see him by the right hand of His Father, we can also clearly see His form in the NT.

So my question is; in what form was the 2nd person of the Trinity before He took on flesh? Can you point Him out like you can point out the 1st and 3rd persons?

God is Spirit, thus he was Spirit

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Christ has always been God from all eternity. The only-begotten Son and Word of the Father, eternally begotten.

The Logos asarkos and the Logos ensarkos are one and the same. What He was before, He remains; though now united to human nature so that He is truly both God and man without confusion and without separation. The one Lord Jesus Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Jack0311

Jul 25, 2020
Texas
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christ has always been God from all eternity. The only-begotten Son and Word of the Father, eternally begotten.

The Logos asarkos and the Logos ensarkos are one and the same. What He was before, He remains; though now united to human nature so that He is truly both God and man without confusion and without separation. The one Lord Jesus Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

The question is about the 2nd person of the Trinity in the OT since He is clearly visible in the NT, but not as clear in the OT unless we know what to look for. We can clearly see God the Father and God the Holy Spirit, can you clearly see God the 2nd person of the Trinty? Please point Him out when you first see Him. If I can see Him I'm sure you can too but sometimes we "can't see the forest for the trees".

Upvote 0

Jack0311

Jul 25, 2020
Texas
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Flesh and spirit are not mutually exclusive. One can one or the other ... or BOTH ...

The 2nd Person of the Trinity had not yet taken on flesh in the OT so how can He be 'one or the other, or both'?

Where is the very first place that you can see the 2nd Person of the Trinity in the OT?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The 2nd Person of the Trinity had not yet taken on flesh in the OT so how can He be 'one or the other, or both'?

Where is the very first place that you can see the 2nd Person of the Trinity in the OT?
Perhaps you don't SEE Him in the OT.

He is, after all, the MYSTERY of God ...

“My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge” (Colossians 2:2–3).

Upvote 0

Jack0311

Jul 25, 2020
Texas
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps you don't SEE Him in the OT.

He is, after all, the MYSTERY of God ...

“My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge” (Colossians 2:2–3).

For the longest time, I couldn't 'see' Him, and then one day He popped out at me.

Scripture tells us who Jesus is, so if you take that information you do 'see' him but it's more of an understanding than a visual seeing even though you can see him just as you can see the Holy Spirit, like in John 3:3 - Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Jesus here didn't mean you won't literally see the kingdom but you won't understand. How can you understand the things of God unless you're born of the Spirit?

1 Cor 2 tells us;
"For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God."

He becomes visible almost from the very beginning. You've seen Him but you just didn't recognize Him. look closer and I'm sure He will pop out at you too.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He becomes visible almost from the very beginning. You've seen Him but you just didn't recognize Him. look closer and I'm sure He will pop out at you too.
YOU asked the question.

I was simply accommodating your query ....

Upvote 0

Jack0311

Jul 25, 2020
Texas
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus is the pre-existent Logos, the Second Person of the Trinity, incarnate as a man, but without losing His divinity.

We believe in ... ONE Lord Jesus Christ, (Acts of the Apostles 11:17)
the Son of God, (Matthew 14:33; Matthew 16:16)
the Only-Begotten, (John 1:18; John 3:16)
Begotten of the Father before all ages. (John 1:2)
Light of Light; (Psalms 27:1; John 8:12; Matthew 17:2-5)
True God of True God; (John 17:1-5)
Begotten, not made; (John 1:18)
of one essence with the Father; (John 10:30)
by whom all things were made; (Hebrews 1:1-2)
Who for us men and for our salvation (1 Timothy 2:4-5)
came down from Heaven, (John 6:33-35)
and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, (Luke 1:35)
and became man. (John 1:14)
And was crucified for us (Mark 15:25; 1 Corinthians 15:3)
under Pontius Pilate, (John 19:6)
and suffered, (Mark 8:31)
and was buried. (Luke 23:53; 1 Corinthians 15:4)
And the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures. (Luke 24:1 1 Corinthians 15:4)
And ascended into Heaven, (Luke 24:51; Acts of the Apostles 1:10)
and sits at the right hand of the Father. (Mark 16:19; Acts of the Apostles 7:55)
And He shall come again with glory (Matthew 24:27)
to judge the living and the dead; (Acts of the Apostles 10:42; 2 Timothy 4:1)
whose Kingdom shall have no end. (2 Peter 1:11)

Anything that contradicts that is heresy.

You gave a lot of scriptures but none tell us who the 2nd Person of the Trinity actually is. I could tell you but what would be the point in that? If you keep digging I know you'll find it and I also know you've probably read it hundreds of times. Try thinking outside the box.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jack0311

Jul 25, 2020
Texas
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
YOU asked the question.

I was simply accommodating your query ....

No need to get angry just because you can't answer it at this point. Your handle says you're a thinker so think about my question because I know you have the answer but it just hasn't come to the forefront of your mind yet.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You gave a lot of scriptures but none tell us who the 2nd Person of the Trinity actually is. I could tell you but what would be the point in that? If you keep digging I know you'll find it and I also know you've probably read it hundreds of times. Try thinking outside the box.
We recognize that you feel that you have received a special revelation from God.

Many of us (Christians) have had similar experiences.

One of the marks of a Christian ... is that he/she shares with the people of God.

That's why there are (4) gospels, and not just one. Each writer contributed to the understanding of God by the people of God.

You may not feel like this, ... but that's not a particularly Christian sentiment ...

Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No need to get angry just because you can't answer it at this point. Your handle says you're a thinker so think about my question because I know you have the answer but it just hasn't come to the forefront of your mind yet.
Your presumption that I am angry is incorrect.

Keep working on your heart ...

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you keep digging I know you'll find it and I also know you've probably read it hundreds of times. Try thinking outside the box.

You seem to believe that you have some kind of special knowledge.

Orthodox Christianity is good enough for me, thanks.

Upvote 0

Jack0311

Jul 25, 2020
Texas
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You seem to believe that you have some kind of special knowledge.

Orthodox Christianity is good enough for me, thanks.

Maybe I only have some knowledge that you don't have yet since the answer is in scripture and I'm sure you've read it numerous times.

Enjoy the milk.
We recognize that you feel that you have received a special revelation from God.

Many of us (Christians) have had similar experiences.

One of the marks of a Christian ... is that he/she shares with the people of God.

That's why there are (4) gospels, and not just one. Each writer contributed to the understanding of God by the people of God.

You may not feel like this, ... but that's not a particularly Christian sentiment ...

Upvote 0