What does the New Testament Prophet look like?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
There were prophets in the Old Testament, but did their form and function change in the NT?

In the OT - the Spirit of God came about the King, Priest and Prophet with the Prophet functioning for the most part as a guide.

In the NT the Spirit of God comes on every believer. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the Sons of God.

Case in point, there is not one instance of a person being led by a Prophet in the NT.

So staying with the NT - describe the 'office' of a Prophet.
I think one important distinction between the OT and NT prophets is that NT prophets can be incorrect, and that's okay.

1 Thessalonians 5:20 - 22
20 Despise not prophesyings.
21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

In the OT, the prophet would say THUS SAITH THE LORD!!! and the prophet would be put to death if any part of his prophecy was incorrect, it's not that way today.

In the OT, you may have noticed the judgments prophesied by the prophets were already proclaimed in the law. So the OT basis for prophecy were the judgments already given by God in the law.

However, in the NT, it is said that the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. (Revelation 19:10) Thus meaning, the basis of prophecy is the testimony of Jesus, which makes for a big change.

In Jeremiah it was said to the prophet that the prophets failed to get the people to repent, so that may carry over, with a Romans 2:1-4 caveat (i.e. with kindness).

That gives some hints, but spiritual maturity brings out the full picture. So let a prophet step forward and let us take a look, do we become more like Jesus, or those who crucified Him? This is a defining mark.

• Informative
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
There were prophets in the Old Testament, but did their form and function change in the NT?

In the OT - the Spirit of God came about the King, Priest and Prophet with the Prophet functioning for the most part as a guide.

In the NT the Spirit of God comes on every believer. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the Sons of God.

Case in point, there is not one instance of a person being led by a Prophet in the NT.

So staying with the NT - describe the 'office' of a Prophet.

Good topic!

It's hard to say what the NT Prophet is completely since we don't have a complete picture of that leadership position in scripture. It's obviously no longer bound by the law of Moses, but a lot of what we should expect to see of GOD working through that person is probably still tied to OT examples.

I would say it's quite a rare position in the body of Christ. It's a power position, but I highly doubt that GOD can hand that position over to many people nowadays. In fact, I've never seen a NT Prophet yet to be honest. I've seen a lot of folks making claims and trying to get people to believe that they are one over the years, but again, it's a power position in the body of Christ, we should expect The Holy Spirit to be resting on that person mightily in power.

Too many Christians want to place that title on a person, just because they believe in their words.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think one important distinction between the OT and NT prophets is that NT prophets can be incorrect, and that's okay.

Hello! Just an observation. The book of Hebrews tells us that the New Covenant is a better Covenant based on better promises (Hebrews 8:6). In a better covenant based on better promises I don't see how the accuracy of prophecy could actually deteriorate badly. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hello! Just an observation. The book of Hebrews tells us that the New Covenant is a better Covenant based on better promises (Hebrews 8:6). In a better covenant based on better promises I don't see how the accuracy of prophecy could actually deteriorate badly. God Bless :)
It's better in the sense that the people (not just a select few) who make mistakes anyway, are allowed to learn from their mistakes instead of being stoned to death.

It's better because it's based on trust and gives room for growth.

The potential is better, but since we are in the latter part of the age, decline is inevitable Jesus even alluded to this.

God bless you too.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's better in the sense that the people (not just a select few) who make mistakes anyway, are allowed to learn from their mistakes instead of being stoned to death.

It's better because it's based on trust and gives room for growth.

The potential is better, but since we are in the latter part of the age, decline is inevitable Jesus even alluded to this.

God bless you too.

Hello! Thank you for your reply. Talking of people 'learning from their mistakes'

Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation of things. For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit (2 Peter 1:20-21).

There's no room for human error. If a prophecy contains error then it's not from God. Every word of God is flawless. The Lord speaking to you is so distinct and unforgettable that you won't confuse it with something else.

And I think when Peter talks about scripture, 2 Peter 3:16 shows us that Peter is talking about Old Testament and New testament scripture, he doesn't delineate between them.

The issue might be with many false or 'mistaken' prophets, as we can see with many high profile 'prophets' in the USA, they don't change, they don't repent, they don't 'grow', trusting a false prophet leads to disaster.

Are you talking about another class of people, desiring to be 'prophets', giving messages, trying to train themselves through trial and error to give more plausible sounding messages?
God Bless :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Completely disagree.

Being led by the Holy Spirit is hearing the Spirit and following him.

There is one between man and God and that is Jesus not a man.

Who gives a message to a prophet?

John 21:18
The truth is, when you were young, you tied your own belt and went where you wanted. But when you are old, you will put out your hands, and someone else will tie your belt. They will lead you where you don’t want to go.”

Acts 21:11
He came to us and borrowed Paul’s belt. He used it to tie his own hands and feet. He said, “The Holy Spirit tells me, ‘This is how the Jews in Jerusalem will tie up the man who wears this belt. Then they will hand him over to people who don’t know God.’”

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who gives a message to a prophet?
John 21:18
The truth is, when you were young, you tied your own belt and went where you wanted. But when you are old, you will put out your hands, and someone else will tie your belt. They will lead you where you don’t want to go.”

John 21:
Jesus said to him, “Feed My sheep. 18 Most assuredly, I say to you, when you were younger, you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish.” 19 This He spoke, signifying by what death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, “Follow Me.”

He said it to Peter, who was not a prophet, nor was ever referred to as a prophet, so I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

That would be Jesus - the same one who said "
27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me."

The Word also says : Romans 8: 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

Acts 21:11
He came to us and borrowed Paul’s belt. He used it to tie his own hands and feet. He said, “The Holy Spirit tells me, ‘This is how the Jews in Jerusalem will tie up the man who wears this belt. Then they will hand him over to people who don’t know God.’”

Don't forget Paul's reply to this prophesy.

Vs 13 Then Paul answered, “What do you mean by weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.”

Paul already knew what was going to happen, the prophetic word was a confirmation of what God already told Paul.

Acts 9:15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. 16 For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.”

Part of the Prophetic ministry is confirming words the person has heard from God. But there is so very much more to prophesy.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
John 21:
Jesus said to him, “Feed My sheep. 18 Most assuredly, I say to you, when you were younger, you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish.” 19 This He spoke, signifying by what death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, “Follow Me.”

He said it to Peter, who was not a prophet, nor was ever referred to as a prophet, so I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

That would be Jesus - the same one who said "
27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me."

The Word also says : Romans 8: 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

Don't forget Paul's reply to this prophesy.

Vs 13 Then Paul answered, “What do you mean by weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.”

Paul already knew what was going to happen, the prophetic word was a confirmation of what God already told Paul.

Acts 9:15 But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. 16 For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.”

Part of the Prophetic ministry is confirming words the person has heard from God. But there is so very much more to prophesy.

Jesus was speaking to Peter and Jesus was giving a prophecy.
Jesus was the prophet.
Was Jesus a prophet? | GotQuestions.org

Upvote 0