What does the New Testament Prophet look like?

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, there absolutely 100% is scriptural support to be guided by prophets.

I invite you a third time to please show it in the NT (what we are addressing). 100%, to me, means it is clearly demonstrated in two or more places. I can not find even one.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I invite you a third time to please show it in the NT (what we are addressing). 100%, to me, means it is clearly demonstrated in two or more places. I can not find even one.
I invite you for a third time to directly answer my question, which directly relates to answering yours. In the mean time acts 11 is one such example.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I invite you for a third time to directly answer my question, which directly relates to answering yours. In the mean time acts 11 is one such example.

If a prophet is operating in his/her gifting - they are speaking God's heart - something the person already knows.

Acts 11

I assume you are referring to:

And in these days prophets came from Jerusalem to Antioch. 28 Then one of them, named Agabus, stood up and showed by the Spirit that there was going to be a great famine throughout all the world, which also happened in the days of Claudius Caesar. 29 Then the disciples, each according to his ability, determined to send relief to the brethren dwelling in Judea
That was certainly the Word of knowledge in demonstration.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If a prophet is operating in his/her gifting - they are speaking God's heart - something the person already knows.

Acts 11

I assume you are referring to:

And in these days prophets came from Jerusalem to Antioch. 28 Then one of them, named Agabus, stood up and showed by the Spirit that there was going to be a great famine throughout all the world, which also happened in the days of Claudius Caesar. 29 Then the disciples, each according to his ability, determined to send relief to the brethren dwelling in Judea
That was certainly the Word of knowledge in demonstration.
Right, and would they have prepared aid without the word? No.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If a prophet is operating in his/her gifting - they are speaking God's heart - something the person already knows
Sometimes, but not always... in fact that is not possible when prophesying to unbelievers

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right, and would they have prepared aid without the word? No.

We have gone from suffering for Christ to giving an offering. Ok. Let’s say that is one

You said 100%

For me personally, I need more than one verse to believe something 100%.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We have gone from suffering for Christ to giving an offering. Ok. Let’s say that is one

You said 100%

For me personally, I need more than one verse to believe something 100%.
This is going nowhere. You still have not directly answered my question, which directly effects this. There are more scriptures, but until I understand where you stand on something as basic as is a Prophet speaking the words of the Holy Spirit or not it's kinda pointless.

I'll tell you how I see this on a high level, but them I'm bowing out. You are conflating style and function when it comes to Prophets and you are applying a very narrow definition to being "led" when, biblically, there is a very broad range of ways both Prophets operate and God "leads" His people. If you want to stick to such a narrow view that's your choice.

What I don't understand is why so many people create threads asking a question, when they really aren't interested in people's answers, only their own. Then they just use the thread as an opportunity to attack the answers of others. If you aren't looking for answers, then post in the daily devotional, or deeper fellowship or christian scriptures and just present your view.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes, but not always... in fact that is not possible when prophesying to unbelievers

prophesying to unbelievers??

Paul said: 1 Cor 14:22 Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
prophesying to unbelievers??

Paul said: 1 Cor 14:22 Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe.
That is the gift of prophecy not the office of prophet. Exactly as I said: too narrow of a view

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is the gift of prophecy not the office of prophet. Exactly as I said: too narrow of a view

so show me the difference. I’m open to learning. I have been asking for you to show me from scripture.

Show me from scripture and there is no resistance to change. The problem I have is that you are not using scripture.

Again, I believe 100% in the both the prophetic and the office of the Prophet.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
can you cite chapter and verse please.
I'm not trying to be facetious or evasive but while I can spend a lot of time going through it and spelling it all out for you, you should read the Book of Acts for yourself...very slowly. You'd be surprised how much is missed by rushing through and just catching the major emphasis made by the current church doctrines. I think everything written is important, no matter how minor many in the church make it. God does not include anything for no reason.

Regarding Agabus: confirmation is guidance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I did answer your statement -

No - there is zero - no instruction that Believers are to be led by Prophets.

That teaching is not supported by scripture

I agree with you here. I don't believe we were and NEVER were to be "LED" by a prophet. People rely on prophets when the Word of God (Torah) was and is available for them and us to read and do their instructions. We are to do our own searching, but just as many of them didn't, or did but ignored the instructions, we do the same thing. The prophet is not a fortune teller. God tells us Himself our future when He instructed us in His Word. Our lives get out of whack because we ignore it or we listen to our teachers who tell us it no longer applies.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Agabus warned and wanted Paul to avoid going... avoidance is not the point, the point is to be able to prepare (mentally, emotionally, spiritually) for what is to come.

You can't change what's coming, all you can do is prepare for it. A prophet can and will help you do that, if/when he understands the very nature of prophecy.

I've never once in scripture see a prophecy go unfulfilled... neither did Paul. He knew. There are prepare for x warnings, there are this is on your heads warnings if you dont change (which they never do)...

This has led me to wonder what prophecy is even for but to teach, and learn.

Yet modern "prophets" are continually wrong, continually deranged, and continually making a mockery of our faith with their divination.

True prophets, no one ever manages to listen to.. I've given up hope. What's coming will come.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not trying to be facetious or evasive but while I can spend a lot of time going through it and spelling it all out for you, you should read the Book of Acts for yourself...very slowly. You'd be surprised how much is missed by rushing through and just catching the major emphasis made by the current church doctrines. I think everything written is important, no matter how minor many in the church make it. God does not include anything for no reason.

I read through the NT perhaps 15-20 times a year. I average a book a day. (Just a reference point)

No. Confirmation is not guidance.

God guided Paul in what he had to suffer.

Agabus confirmed he was about to suffer, that is not guidance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see in Scripture an element of the Prophet that is seldom used today.

it seems (and I could be wrong) we have limited the Prophet to little more than a fortune teller or revealer of sin.

There is so much more to the prophet than that.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are claiming knowledge of the thoughts of Paul and how his thoughts were impacted by the words of a Prophet.

Your source is?

Not his thoughts, but that he was already told what would happen.

Acts 9:16 For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Part of the reason for this thread is to get input from others.

In the 30 or so years of ministry I have had the pleasure to meet perhaps 2 people who I would consider genuine Prophets. There were certain qualities about them that I see supported in scripture.

• An incredibly close and personal relationship with Jesus spanning many years.
  • Actively involved in the church. Both Local and Regional (country)
  • They knew the Word of God and had the gifting to teach/preach in such a way as to reveal truths. I like one description given "Inspired Utterance"
  • They very often worked in Prophetic gifts such as the Word of Knowledge, Word of Wisdom.
It is interesting to note that neither of them liked the limelight - neither wanted the title.

The older of the two said something profound to me once. "If I have to tell someone I am something, then I probably am not". "You ought to be able to see a gifting".

They spoke words of life and edification to whomever would listen. When they spoke of future events (on rare occasions), it always had to do with furtherance of the Gospel, reaching the loss, setting people free. Their focus was on setting the captive free, drawing in closer to God though righteousness.

I've watched through the years thousands upon thousand set free.

I'm in the process of doing research for what will be my third book. While not specifically on prophets, their closeness and relationship interests me very much.

Upvote 0

atpollard

Jun 18, 2017
Florida
✟116,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acts 9:16 For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.”
You are assuming that is “revelatory knowledge”, when it could very well be a reference to “experiential knowledge”.

Upvote 0