What Does the Bible Say About Dolls? Is It Idolatry?

ilovesendai7

Apr 12, 2016
New Zealand
✟8,690.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I came across this article: http://www.jesusthedeliverer.org/idol-and-images/ when I was searching about deliverance from evil, exorcisms etc. It claims that anything like a doll or toy or cartoon that depicts a human, animal or celestial being is idolatry violates the second commandment and opens doors for demons to enter our lives. I had always known that anything that distracted from rather than led us to God was sinful, and this article really opened my eyes. I would really like for others to read it and for a dialogue to be started here.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh there was already a thread on that somewhere cos I asked that question in advice.

I will try and find it for you. Anyway we are to give up childish things it says in Corinthians so its no big deal for me.
Also letter from John warns little children to keep away from idols. They are everywhere these days, sadly.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I came across this article: http://www.jesusthedeliverer.org/idol-and-images/ when I was searching about deliverance from evil, exorcisms etc. It claims that anything like a doll or toy or cartoon that depicts a human, animal or celestial being is idolatry violates the second commandment and opens doors for demons to enter our lives. I had always known that anything that distracted from rather than led us to God was sinful, and this article really opened my eyes. I would really like for others to read it and for a dialogue to be started here.
A serious dialogue about this? Ok. I would say that a person would have to be pretty feeble-minded and/or mentally ill to have a "demonic" episode that is triggered by a stuffed animal or doll.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
a few things to keep in mind
this article references Alexander Hislop who has been thoroughly discredited by serious historians

also it says that the practice of playing with dolls come from idols, I never heard that before

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
http://www.christianforums.com/threads/toys-dolls-teddy-bears.7933957/

Just an update on that thread I gave all dolls and bears away. I don't see the point of them. The article you gave the link to is way too long for me to go over and read.

But I will say that objects can be used for occult purposes and you don't know when it was made or manufactured what spells were cast over them, even if it was 'to make you buy more'. I do know love spells are common. That is why people give objects so that you can be attached to them.

For something to be an idol, you would worship it, so things like buddha statues and even Jesus paintings (but not actually looking like Jesus!) are idols. The virgin mary is a common one. Also totems etc. Dolls are really just childrens forms of idols eg worry dolls, voodoo dolls. The word doll comes from idol.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
To paraphrase C. S. Lewis: "There are two great errors people can make when dealing with demons. One is pretending that they don't exist. The other is presuming them to be more numerous and more powerful than they really are."

Dolls are, by and large, just inert bits of plastic, wood, fabric, or other such materials. In and of themselves, they are harmless. If anything, items like dolls, action figures, stuffed animals, and such are often beneficial because they encourage creativity, play, and adventure.

They're not idols in and of themselves. The issues only arise when people become obsessed with them.

Upvote 0

chandraclaws

May 25, 2015
✟3,897.00
Faith
Christian
You can't be serious about the childrens' dolls and teddy bears that they hug and play with.

Some claim that round objects, such as round communion wafers, are symbols of the Sun-god. But they fail to mention that the very manna given by God was round! (Exod. 16:14).
http://www.ralphwoodrow.org/books/pages/babylon-mystery.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
voodoo dolls and such ARE real. If you don't believe me, you can google it.
voodoo teddy bears as well.

The point is, knowing which ones are voodoo and which ones aren't. Its recommended you burn all the voodoo ones. Or the ones that have mould in them anyway as its a health hazard. lol.

Reactions: chandraclaws
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Dolls are, by and large, just inert bits of plastic, wood, fabric, or other such materials. In and of themselves, they are harmless. If anything, items like dolls, action figures, stuffed animals, and such are often beneficial because they encourage creativity, play, and adventure.
Precisely. They also serve as transitional objects for young children. Stuffed animals and dolls help children gain a sense of independence, confidence, and responsibility. They're a very useful item in the development of a child.

Upvote 0
Nov 28, 2010
New York, New York
✟33,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
voodoo dolls and such ARE real. If you don't believe me, you can google it.
voodoo teddy bears as well.

The point is, knowing which ones are voodoo and which ones aren't. Its recommended you burn all the voodoo ones. Or the ones that have mould in them anyway as its a health hazard. lol.

Voodoo is only real if you think it's real. I don't, so there's no problem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, no problem them. But if youve had voodoo or dabbled in the occult in the past, you are going to have major problems, and I personally wouldnt invite that kind of thing into my life.

Huh care bears. Just a marketing strategy to sell stuffed toys. Those bears...do not REALLY care. And they dont answer your prayers cos they are stuffed.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The phrase "straining at gnats while swallowing a camel" comes to mind.

A reminder: the ark of the covenant was decorated with images of cherubim, and the Temple itself was decorated with images. The commandment against graven images isn't a commandment against images, it's a commandment against idol worship.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The only inherently evil toys out there are Ferbies...

Are you kidding? How about those troll dolls? They're so creepy.

Also, my grandmother's old doll collection was pretty nightmarish. But then I suffer from pupaphobia, and that tends to extend to certain dolls as well. For some people it's clowns, for me it's puppets and dolls.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: PastorBen
Upvote 0