Devon
✟15,184.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Ok I feel a bit silly but I need the Dummies explanation had I have heard it a lot for example God had convicted me to lose weight, God had convicted me of this type of music etc.

Again please as basic and simple as you can please (just tried to read about it on the net and that really got me know where?) Plus how do you know?

Very confused? :S

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You see when a man loves a woman they...oh wrong answer. :p

What Life2Christ said right. Although to some degree we can feel convicted even when we aren't doing anything wrong. EXample if a christian says to you "You are being a glutton, cut out your teeth!". They will claim what you feel about being told that is conviction. But its not, its anger. Which granted is not right to be angry but theres is a diffrence.

Conviction also will make you feel bad when you so what your not suppose to. When I looked at inappropriate content I didn't feel anything after. But as time went on and people told me I was sinning, I felt convicted in my heart. It feels like a guilty feeling thats nagging at you. So every time I looked since people told me I always instantly felt convicted afterwards and knew God was telling me stop and to stop sinning.

Reactions: Gavin_B
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ok I feel a bit silly but I need the Dummies explanation had I have heard it a lot for example God had convicted me to lose weight, God had convicted me of this type of music etc.

Again please as basic and simple as you can please (just tried to read about it on the net and that really got me know where?) Plus how do you know?

Ah- I don't say that God convicts me- I simply say that I feel convicted. It is my opinion that when people say this, they are simply referring to the fact that their conscience is kicking in and they are feeling guilt over something. I suppose it could follow that if one believes that a conscience is God given, then the phrase may make more sense.

Upvote 0
S

susyan

I agree with Life2Christ,

when the conviction (guilty feeling) comes, it is probably the Holy Spirit speaking to you, and it is important to follow the Holy Spirit and do right, because then you will become more free in Him:

2Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

If you decide to ignore the conviction of the Spirit, over time your heart will become hardened and you will not sense the Spirit's presence. This is a dangerous place to be, as you can fall away from your faith in Him (being more attracted to the cares of this world).

Keep following the Spirit, and He will keep you safe :)

Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Being "convicted by God" means that you feel as if God is wanting you to stop/start something in your life. You may be convicted not to listen to OneDirection, or you may be convicted to start a business. It merely means that you are listening to God's input on your life and future.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
i think this phrase is most often used in error - there is no 'conviction' without judgment, and for a reborn believer who looks to Jesus as their substitute, there is no judgment from God.

(Joh 16:7) Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
(Joh 16:8) And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
(Joh 16:9) Of sin, because they believe not on me;
(Joh 16:10) Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
(Joh 16:11) Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

the Holy Spirit reproves or corrects the lost person of not believing in Jesus' atonement as the way to approach God. He corrects the reborn believer that they are righteous in God's eyes because of their substitute, Jesus, not based on their own performance. He corrects everyone that it is the devil that has been judged.

the devil is the accuser; he is the one that points out your faults in order to get you into condemnation and stop your faith in God's goodness toward you.

God's correction is accomplished through His word, as His word is given for instruction. He doesn't say 'stop that sinning', He says 'follow My leading through fellowship with Me'; to the extent that we are led by God, we will not sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

There is NO guilt or condemnation when Holy Spirit convicts. Don't mistake the two.
From condemnation stems guilt.
Romans 8:1
Therefore, there is now no condemnation(or guilt) for those who are in Christ Jesus,

The conviction of the Holy Spirit is simply gentle prodding about the truth and promise of God. If you are going in the opposite direction to that, the Holy Spirit convicts you, and lets you know to make it right and if you listen to His conviction, He helps you walk in line with God's truth and word.

Its the enemy who condemns and puts guilt in people. Holy Spirit DOESN'T

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It usually starts with feelings of guilt, followed by something called "discernment". That is when a Christian attempts to use knowledge of scripture and prayerful mediation to get a sense for whether the guilt comes form conviction or condemnation.

Conviction IS from God and helps us to sort out what is and what is not beneficial in our lives. It is meant to build us up. Condemnation is from the devil and is meant to tear us down. It is usually based on a distortion in doctrine, circumstance, or matter of degree aimed at bringing despair and doubt.

When people say that God has convicted them, it means that they interpreted their guilt feelings to be from God. Often times they are right, sometimes they aren't.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Heres a good short article:
On the Convicting Truth about Guilt and Freedom

In Christian circles one often hears the phrase, "Guilt is from the devil but conviction is from the Holy Spirit," or "Guilt is from the pit of hell but conviction comes from God." The purpose of these statements may be to console a burdened believer or to force him to analyze whether he is feeling genuine "conviction" over an issue (a good thing) or just plain "guilt" for something he shouldn't have done or maybe for nothing at all (a bad thing).

The intentions of the person using this phrase are typically good; the counselor wants to bring some relief to a distressed brother and pointing out that God doesn't want us to feel guilty for something we have done usually makes people feel a little better. "Hey," he thinks, "that's right, I am not supposed to feel guilty as a Christian, I guess I should just get over this and move on," or, "Yeah, you're right. I don't want to feel guilty, but this is an issue that I am genuinely convicted over, so I guess I should do something about it."

So this advice that guilt is from the devil and conviction is from God's Spirit seems helpful. But is it true? I would submit that no, unfortunately, it is not.

This, rather, is an example of a false dichotomy between two related and not opposing terms. This is plain to see even in English. The word "conviction" means "to find or prove to be guilty," and the word "guilt" means "the fact of having committed a breach of conduct; especially violating law and involving a penalty" or "the state of one who has committed an offense, especially consciously."

And "guilty" means "justly chargeable with or responsible for a usually grave breach of conduct or a crime" or "justly liable to or deserving of a penalty." One is guilty if he is blameworthy. And note that guilty persons are convicted of a crime. And a criminal is also known as a convict. So we see that terms are not in opposition to one another but rather just the opposite: the words "guilt" and "conviction" are very much related, even interdependent at places.

Therefore, it doesn't make any sense in the English language to sharply divide the meaning of the terms "guilt" and "conviction" in the way that is often done in Christian circles. But neither does it make any sense to do this theologically. Unavoidable in the above definitions for "guilt" and "conviction" is the presence of an offender. They speak of a person who has committed a crime, is justly condemned, and deserving of punishmen

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the word guilt is quite misunderstood. Saying "guilt is from the devil" is indeed wrong.

Guilt is an objective state. Any behavior measured against God's moral standard produces "guilt" or "not guilt". God sees all of our behaviors according to His standard. That's what sin is... anything contrary to the holiness of God.

However, our imperfect minds can easily be misled in both directions: rationalizing sin so that we *don't* feel guilt when we are guilty, or falling into condemnation where we *do* feel guilty when we are not.

So guilt feelings can be useful and should not be dismissed, but they shouldn't be immediately taken as truth either. We should keep praying for conviction so that we see sin in our lives that may not yet be causing feelings of guilt, but continue to seek progress in our journey towards holiness (ie. sanctification)... yet never forgetting that those sins are forgiven!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It means they feel guilty. They get the feeling they shouldn't be doing it.

She asked for the simple meaning and it was given. The rest is a bunch of muddy water for which church folk are famous for. Life2Christ got it rightand you all know it...:)

Another way of saying the same thing simply was
It merely means that you are listening to God's input on your life and future.

The End.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Its not a 'bunch of muddy waters'. What you are not sure of, don't assert it.

Holy Spirit does not put guilt in anyone. Holy Spirit convicts believers of God's righteousness. Its the enemy who does the opposite. Holy Spirit is our helper and His sole purpose is TRUTH OF THE WORD OF GOD. He is not in us to condemn or guilt trip any one of God's children.

Upvote 0

JackTheConvict

Jun 28, 2018
ohio
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'd always interpreted 'convicted' more literally. I'd been tried for my sins, convicted (found guilty), & finally, sentenced (eternal damnation). But then, I learned something incredible. Someone loved me so much that, by Their Grace, had offered to pay the price for my sins! Tho completely guiltless, He suffered MY punishment, and died in MY place! And when His precious blood was shed, and I accepted His gift of Grace, all my sins washed away by the cleansing power of His shed blood. Glory to God on High and Glory to His Son, my Savior Jesus. Life is wonderful when it is filled with hope, compared to a life of hopelessness & despair.

Upvote 0

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
i think this phrase is most often used in error - there is no 'conviction' without judgment, and for a reborn believer who looks to Jesus as their substitute, there is no judgment from God.

(Joh 16:7) Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
(Joh 16:8) And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

the Holy Spirit reproves or corrects the lost person of not believing in Jesus' atonement as the way to approach God. He corrects the reborn believer that they are righteous in God's eyes because of their substitute, Jesus, not based on their own performance. He corrects everyone that it is the devil that has been judged.

the devil is the accuser; he is the one that points out your faults in order to get you into condemnation and stop your faith in God's goodness toward you.

God's correction is accomplished through His word, as His word is given for instruction. He doesn't say 'stop that sinning', He says 'follow My leading through fellowship with Me'; to the extent that we are led by God, we will not sin.
I like this

Upvote 0

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I like this

Upvote 0

this is not my name

Jan 9, 2019
Eagle River
✟17,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I like this

Upvote 0