USA
✟16,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So I'm a young person who has been a Christian my whole life. I have severe ocd which gives me religious anxiety such as fear of hell like this. So I do sin like cussing and drinking and I do admit i scoff sometimes at the idea of opening myself to gods will but i do believe in him and that he is the way to eternal life. I get my attitude towards God because of outside influence that I sometimes lean to because I was raised in an overly religious community and felt trapped but now I feel destined for hell even though I do believe in jesus and that he loves us

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Jesus said "born again"

John 1:11-13 Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
11 He came to his own homeland,
yet his own people did not receive him.

12 But to as many as did receive him, to those who put their trust in his person and power, he gave the right to become children of God, 13 not because of bloodline, physical impulse or human intention, but because of God.

Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
Copyright © 1998 by David H. Stern. All rights reserved.

===========================
BRG
Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
CSB
who were born, not of natural descent, or of the will of the flesh, or of the will of man, but of God.
CEB
born not from blood nor from human desire or passion, but born from God.
CJB
not because of bloodline, physical impulse or human intention, but because of God.
CEV
They were not God’s children by nature or because of any human desires. God himself was the one who made them his children.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Take a look at the Gospels. Jesus talks about judgement a number of times. Look at what people in his illustrations are condemned for. The causes generally fall into two categories: (1) rejecting him and his message, (2) abusing others or not being helpful to others. Cussing and drinking aren't on the list, nor are other "sins" that Christians tend to obsess over. Drinking to excess can be very dangerous, and bad language can create a bad impression. But God isn't keeping a checklist of this kind of stuff.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Take a look at the Gospels. Jesus talks about judgement a number of times. Look at what people in his illustrations are condemned for. The causes generally fall into two categories: (1) rejecting him and his message, (2) abusing others or not being helpful to others. Cussing and drinking aren't on the list, nor are other "sins" that Christians tend to obsess over. Drinking to excess can be very dangerous, and bad language can create a bad impression. But God isn't keeping a checklist of this kind of stuff.

Drinking to excess is on the list, and I believe cussing is mentioned as well...maybe someone will help me out on that.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I'm a young person who has been a Christian my whole life. I have severe ocd which gives me religious anxiety such as fear of hell like this. So I do sin like cussing and drinking and I do admit i scoff sometimes at the idea of opening myself to gods will but i do believe in him and that he is the way to eternal life. I get my attitude towards God because of outside influence that I sometimes lean to because I was raised in an overly religious community and felt trapped but now I feel destined for hell even though I do believe in jesus and that he loves us

Jen, there are those that will tell you you need do no more than believe, but i think more will tell you the bible says differently. I've always been of the opinion those that say you don't have to do anything, are the ones that choose to believe that because they don't want to do anything...that simple.

You have to read the bible to find out what God expects, do your best to stop those sins and if you do them, ask forgiveness and move on. Practice makes perfect and soon enough you will find yourself doing a little better as time goes on. The concept at least is pretty simple.

The following directly from Jesus sums it up, and if anyone can tell me how we can do good without doing anything, I'd love to hear it. :)

John 5:28-29 “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.

Upvote 0

dstamps

Site Supporter
Dec 23, 2018
Huntsville, AL
Visit site
✟64,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Consider:
Matthew 12:31-32 [Full Chapter]
Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Also Consider that fear is an anti-love expression. It should be avoided. The Two Great Commandments are only about love - Matthew 22:37-39

With the above in mind, consider:
1 John 4:8
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

Upvote 0

Jensaiia

Jan 2, 2019
USA
✟16,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Why don't we ask the OP if that's a fact. I mean we can't really dictate what is helpful for her or not.
Yes I do have ocd. Mostly what that means is I have obsessions like praying, religious thoughts,over analysis, fear of hell, ect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jensaiia

Jan 2, 2019
USA
✟16,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Consider:
Matthew 12:31-32 [Full Chapter]
Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Also Consider that fear is an anti-love expression. It should be avoided. The Two Great Commandments are only about love - Matthew 22:37-39

With the above in mind, consider:
1 John 4:8
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
Yes I try to avoid fear as much as possible but I have a mental disorder that causes these thoughts so much

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes I do have ocd. Mostly what that means is I have obsessions like praying, religious thoughts,over analysis, fear of hell, ect.

I understand that and the point i was trying to make is you still know what is helpful to you and what is not and as a poster indicated, we don't need to think we need to decide that for you. :)

Are some of these answers helpful?

Upvote 0

Jensaiia

Jan 2, 2019
USA
✟16,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jen, there are those that will tell you you need do no more than believe, but i think more will tell you the bible says differently. I've always been of the opinion those that say you don't have to do anything, are the ones that choose to believe that because they don't want to do anything...that simple.

You have to read the bible to find out what God expects, do your best to stop those sins and if you do them, ask forgiveness and move on. Practice makes perfect and soon enough you will find yourself doing a little better as time goes on. The concept at least is pretty simple.

The following directly from Jesus sums it up, and if anyone can tell me how we can do good without doing anything, I'd love to hear it. :)

John 5:28-29 “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.
But I thought everyone sins knowingly some, like when you do something wrong you know is bad so arent we all living in sin technically

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But I thought everyone sins knowingly some, like when you do something wrong you know is bad so arent we all living in sin technically

We all sin if that's what you mean but as far as living in sin, no.

IOW, there is wilful sin as in things we do normally, willfully, daily or whatever, that is us deciding to live in sin, then there is sin of temptation where we don't do what i just described/never plan on sinning, but when tempted we often do.

Wilful sin is forgivable but continue in it and best i can tell from the bible it will end us up in a bad place. Where sin of temptation is different and much more forgivable, and not considered living in sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dstamps

Site Supporter
Dec 23, 2018
Huntsville, AL
Visit site
✟64,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Yes I try to avoid fear as much as possible but I have a mental disorder that causes these thoughts so much
Since I haven't experienced what you do, I can only suggest that you find pleasant thoughts that replace thoughts you don't want to have. When an unwanted thought begins, immediately replace it with your chosen replacement thought.

It is my understanding that a feeling precedes a particular thought. If so, then when the feeling begins immediately use your replacement thought.

Possible example:
When the feeling begins that would normally make you think of hell, replace it with the thought of Jesus reaching for you to help you into heaven. Picture it. Love it.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

To be a follower of Christ means to give first place to Him in your life. A lover of the world cannot be a lover of God, plain and simple. Either you love the one and hate the other. You cannot have it both ways. You need to die to self which is a lifetime process and if you ask God to help you with it He will.

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Take a look at the Gospels. Jesus talks about judgement a number of times. Look at what people in his illustrations are condemned for. The causes generally fall into two categories: (1) rejecting him and his message, (2) abusing others or not being helpful to others. Cussing and drinking aren't on the list, nor are other "sins" that Christians tend to obsess over. Drinking to excess can be very dangerous, and bad language can create a bad impression. But God isn't keeping a checklist of this kind
My Bible does say specifically that at the judgement we we will have to account for every idle word we speak. The watered down God and His plan of salvation is astounding. People call themselves Christians all the time when in fact only those that were in Christ, or had been added to the body of Christ by God were called Christians...and they were first called this new name at Antioch.

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[/QUOTE
My Bible states specifically that at the jufgement we will give an account of every idle word uttered. It is so sad that today it seems nobody wants to believe God's written word, the Bible. Although it is sad, it's not surprising. Everyone is spewing this watered down view of God and His plan of salvation today; it is done so they can go on with their lives and not worry about the consequences. People don't read the Bible anymore, we even have denomination who encourage the people attending there not to read/study. One denomination even teaches the common man isn't able to understand it on his own, wow! One day God will have his fill with us and we as a nation will be dealt with harshly, but more likely, in my opinion, it will just be the 2nd coming and judgement.

Upvote 0

Just_a_Christian

Dec 28, 2018
Southeast
✟21,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My Bible states specifically that at the jufgement we will give an account of every idle word uttered. It is so sad that today it seems nobody wants to believe God's written word, the Bible. Although it is sad, it's not surprising. Everyone is spewing this watered down view of God and His plan of salvation today; it is done so they can go on with their lives and not worry about the consequences. People don't read the Bible anymore, we even have denomination who encourage the people attending there not to read/study. One denomination even teaches the common man isn't able to understand it on his own, wow! One day God will have his fill with us and we as a nation will be dealt with harshly, but more likely, in my opinion, it will just be the 2nd coming and judgement.

Upvote 0