What does having 96% chimp dna mean to you?

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know some people like to point out how close our species is to chimps and use this as evidence that God doesn't exist but would you really come to this conclusion on your own? If God created The universe, chimps and humans. Why couldn't he have used similar methods when creating chimps as us.

I was watching a video about 15 body parts that we were supposed to lose over the next 500 years due to evolution and it had me starting to have some atheist sayings run through my mind and made me just ponder a bit. I eventually came to the conclusion that if God created humans and chimps then we should expect similarity between two created things God made right?

So what do things like the closeness of our dna to chimps, and the fact that we have certain body parts that we don't even need mean to you in regards to your belief in God or lack of belief?

Reactions: Darkhorse

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It doesnt really doesnt mean much to me ...it just makes me think God can create whatever however He sees fit.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I know some people like to point out how close our species is to chimps and use this as evidence that God doesn't exist...
I would try to avoid people like that if I were you.
...but would you really come to this conclusion on your own? If God created The universe, chimps and humans. Why couldn't he have used similar methods when creating chimps as us.
No reason why not, but I think it's only creationists who object to it.
So what do things like the closeness of our dna to chimps, and the fact that we have certain body parts that we don't even need mean to you in regards to your belief in God or lack of belief?
It means nothing to me or my faith in God.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I make all sorts of different things out of the same materials. Sometimes they are almost identical. I made two such bird feeders; one I finished with waterproofing, the other with varnish. They are at least 95 percent.....the same. Now you could say that the second bird feeder 'evolved' from the first, or from a common design that preceded both of them. But really I just wanted to see the difference and how they would each hold up under the weather.

Update: The birds seem to prefer the waterproofed one. Natural selection maybe?

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I know some people like to point out how close our species is to chimps and use this as evidence that God doesn't exist but would you really come to this conclusion on your own? If God created The universe, chimps and humans. Why couldn't he have used similar methods when creating chimps as us.

I was watching a video about 15 body parts that we were supposed to lose over the next 500 years due to evolution and it had me starting to have some atheist sayings run through my mind and made me just ponder a bit. I eventually came to the conclusion that if God created humans and chimps then we should expect similarity between two created things God made right?

The mistake you're making is equating belief in God with acceptance of evolution. They are two different propositions but creationists have intentionally fudged the lines to further their view of the world.

It is possible to be an atheist and not accept the idea of evolution. It is also possible to be a Christian and be comfortable with evolution. Many Christians on these boards accept evolution as a scientific fact. Christian biologists accept evolution as a scientific fact. Christian scientists accept evolution as a scientific fact. All major scientific organisations accept evolution as a scientific fact. All major museums accept evolution as a scientific fact.

Don't be fooled by the noisy minority. No valid scientific argument has ever been raised to "disprove" evolution. No papers arguing the case have been presented to a (valid) peer reviewed publication. The creationist who establishes a valid case against evolution will get a Nobel Prize. It won't happen.
OB

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I try to keep in mind that humans are social and religious creatures and so it's natural that humans will tend to turn science into a kind of religion. I also try to keep in mind that science is a process of discovery and it is in a seemingly near endless process of refining itself.

even if we have a lot of the same dna as chimps we can be very different. chimps are so much stronger than humans and humans can throw and aim way better than they can.

I think that since God is the God of all that science is a blessing of reality that ultimately comes from God and is kin to the human spirit. I don't at all feel the need to blindly cling to whatever crude elements in religion exist because I crave after as much contact with God as possible.

in Christianity we always said we were creatures so I don't find it a bad thing that i'm like other creatures. I think it's interesting how God does things and I also think that God does not have 100% say in everything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

Aug 18, 2015
✟328,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The mistake you're making is equating belief in God with acceptance of evolution. They are two different propositions but creationists have intentionally fudged the lines to further their view of the world.

It is possible to be an atheist and not accept the idea of evolution. It is also possible to be a Christian and be comfortable with evolution. Many Christians on these boards accept evolution as a scientific fact. Christian biologists accept evolution as a scientific fact. Christian scientists accept evolution as a scientific fact. All major scientific organisations accept evolution as a scientific fact. All major museums accept evolution as a scientific fact.

Don't be fooled by the noisy minority. No valid scientific argument has ever been raised to "disprove" evolution. No papers arguing the case have been presented to a (valid) peer reviewed publication. The creationist who establishes a valid case against evolution will get a Nobel Prize. It won't happen.
OB

So why is evolution talked up by atheists so much if it's not relevant to the question of does God exist or not? And when you say evolution do you mean micro or macro evolution?

Upvote 0

Dawnhammer

Mar 5, 2017
Denmark
✟23,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why couldn't he have used similar methods when creating chimps as us.

Well it kind of sounds funny you would create your masterpiece 96% same as lowly hairy ape munching bananas and swinging at woods.

The evolution explains ape issue much more credibly than just saying “well duh God had just created apes and had the schematics ready, couldn’t be bothered to do anything too special for his special creation and just erased most of the hair and corrected the posture a bit”

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

Aug 18, 2015
✟328,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“well duh God had just created apes and had the schematics ready, couldn’t be bothered to do anything too special for his special creation and just erased most of the hair and corrected the posture a bit”

I didn't say he did that. I simply stated that why is it surprising if we find some of the same matter in other parts of the universe or animals as ourselves. Should we expect since we are so "special" to be made of completely different matter than what we find in other animals or parts of the universe?

Upvote 0

Dawnhammer

Mar 5, 2017
Denmark
✟23,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Should we expect since we are so "special" to be made of completely different matter than what we find in other animals or parts of the universe?

Well it is pretty peculiar that only thing divine and separating us from animals is something you can’t prove, demonstrate or measure in any way and is completely up to your own faith of our special status and origin.

Perhaps God intended it as a matter of faith ?

Of course you could say the same thing about healing powers of unicorn horns but let’s not get sidetracked.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

1. The list of "body parts we don't need" used to be 100's of items.
Over time modern medicine has come to the conclusion that we
were wong and the default medical stand is to leave all those
parts alone if possible.

2. The few items left on the list were likely useful in the past
or may be useful in the future.

3. A survey of wealthy billionaires will show that there is no particular
medical procedure or "repair" that they have in common. In other
words, all the money in world has been unable to improve on the
human design outside of repairs to the original engineering.

4. God is Spirit. When God decided to process man into a likeness
of God, it was a Spiritual likeness......becasue God is Spirit.

Reactions: JonLV
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So why is evolution talked up by atheists so much if it's not relevant to the question of does God exist or not?
Probably because certain vocal Christians have convinced a lot of people that Christianity rejects evolution.
And when you say evolution do you mean micro or macro evolution?
Both. They're both solid scientific conclusions. Note: I'm a Christian and a biologist, and I am thoroughly persuaded of the basic truth of evolution.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I didn't say he did that. I simply stated that why is it surprising if we find some of the same matter in other parts of the universe or animals as ourselves.
Sure. If the overall similarity between human and chimpanzee DNA were the only reason scientists thought they were related, it would be a really shaky conclusion. It's not the overall similarity that's convincing; it's the patterns of differences and similarities that we see.

Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single

the similarity between two different cars is because the same designer- human in this case:

A-news-580x362.jpg

(image from Four Ferraris for a special driver)

the main objection to this counter claim is that a car cant reproduce like a living thing. but according to this logic- if we will find a car that its able to reproduce (or even contain DNA) we will need to conclude that such a car just evolved. see also my argument here:My favorite argument for the existence of God

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
So why is evolution talked up by atheists so much if it's not relevant to the question of does God exist or not?

It really has nothing to do with atheism. Rather, it has to do with a minority of religious believers (predominantly Protestant Christians in the US) that believe that evolution is a threat to their religious beliefs and attempt to influence public policy including having evolution removed from school.

If it wasn't for that, evolution really wouldn't be a topic for most people outside of biologists.

Upvote 0

dmmesdale

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Fargo
✟74,412.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Agree on two conflicting propositions on the history of life here. Creationists fudging the line, not really. Some Theists may amalgamate the two as a matter of expedience, peer pressure, acceptance, or they may just be convinced modern humans have a common ancestor with apes. An unidentified theoretical nonhuman extinct creature. Like Bigfoot.

It is possible to be an atheist and not accept the idea of evolution.
That would be a real anomaly. The majority does not follow the exception.
It is also possible to be a Christian and be comfortable with evolution.
Depends on the definition. Is it.

‘The theory that all the living forms in the world have arisen from a single source which itself came from an inorganic form.’

Or.

“Blind watchmaker” thesis: the idea that all organisms have descended from common ancestors solely through unguided, unintelligent, purposeless, material processes such as natural selection acting on random variations or mutations; that the mechanisms of natural selection, random variation and mutation, and perhaps other similarly naturalistic mechanisms, are completely sufficient to account for the appearance of design in living organisms.

The latter of which is incompatible with Christian Theism. Actually both.

Many Christians on these boards accept evolution as a scientific fact. Christian biologists accept evolution as a scientific fact. Christian scientists accept evolution as a scientific fact. All major scientific organisations accept evolution as a scientific fact. All major museums accept evolution as a scientific fact.
Again depends on the definition. Let's not use change over time to smuggle in blind watchmaker.
Quote.
1. Change over time; history of nature; any sequence of events in nature.
2. Changes in the frequencies of alleles in the gene pool of a population.
3. Limited common descent: the idea that particular groups of organisms have descended from a common ancestor.
4. The mechanisms responsible for the change required to produce limited descent with modification, chiefly natural selection acting on random variations or mutations.
None of these are really controversial.

Don't be fooled by the noisy minority. No valid scientific argument has ever been raised to "disprove" evolution.
Irreducible complexity and others including chemistry deficiencies in explaining the origin of complex coded information in bio cells.
No papers arguing the case have been presented to a (valid) peer reviewed publication.
They are dead on arrival. Meyer had one and punishments were dished out as a result. Behe was never published but responses to Behe was. So there is an obvious double standard. Books are peer reviewed. Signature in the Cell, peer-reviewed as was Behe.
The creationist who establishes a valid case against evolution will get a Nobel Prize. It won't happen.
OB
Behe already falsified evolution. Besides, bandwagon appeals are used when actual evidence is weak. If they have a strong case then they do not need to appeal to consensus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Behe already falsified evolution.

Really? Then where is his Noble Prize for overturning one of the foundational theories in modern biology?

(It might also be worth noting that Behe appears to accept common ancestry. So there's also that.)

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

dmmesdale

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Fargo
✟74,412.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Really? Then where is his Noble Prize for overturning one of the foundational theories in modern biology?
Biological evolution is not a foundational theory. At best, it is atheistic history myth. It has no real value. Behe is getting recognition from all over the world. It takes time. Again, what is interesting about Behe is rejection process while responses were published. Why the double standards? Also the responses were misunderstandings or distortions to his original. They were not responding to his actual arguments but contrived phantoms.

(It might also be worth noting that Behe appears to accept common ancestry. So there's also that.)
That is the rumor.

Upvote 0