ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hi, I love a forum where all Christians can get together w/ God. I wouldn't call myself a new Christian but in part I am new as I didn't read the whole bible clearly and in part I'm a moderate Christian as I've watched a lot of sermons in the past from who I would call sincere and amazing pastors. So what I wanted to ask was I looked it up already but I'm not clear what 'covet' means when the bible says not to. Thank you!

p.s. I only would like the scenario I posted in post #16 to be answered, if it's coveting or not, please don't post otherwise, thanks.

Last edited:

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Basically don't allow any kind of greed in heart nor in thought. Don't desire anything that's not yours.

(and partly, with that, consider all things as being Gods' , claiming nothing for yourself, as they all did in Acts in the first assembly of born again believers)

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not clear what 'covet' means when the bible says not to.
This commandment is directed against the sin of envy. Unlike the other commandments which focus on outward actions, this commandment focuses on thought. It is an imperative against setting one's desire on things that are forbidden. One commandment forbids the act of adultery. This commandment forbids the desire for adultery. One commandment forbids stealing. This commandment forbids the desire for acquisition of another's goods.

Thou shalt not covet - Wikipedia

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
hi, I love a forum where all Christians can get together w/ God. I wouldn't call myself a new Christian but in part I am new as I didn't read the whole bible clearly and in part I'm a moderate Christian as I've watched a lot of sermons in the past from who I would call sincere and amazing pastors. So what I wanted to ask was I looked it up already but I'm not clear what 'covet' means when the bible says not to. Thank you!

It is a desire to possess something belonging to another. Coveting is what leads to theft and adultery. Desiring the property of another leads to theft of the property. Desiring the wife of another leads to adultery. It's one of the key teachings of Jesus. He said "cleanse the inside of the cup..." meaning to cleanse yourself of the desire to sin and you will not commit the sin.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Covet means to 'fix desire upon...' synonyms are Lust, Fain, Desire. It particularly applies to wanting the possessions of others.

• Agree
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
This commandment forbids the desire for acquisition of another's goods.

EXODUS 20:
17 You shall not covet your neighbour's house. You shall not covet your neighbour's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbour.

Covet means to strongly desire that which belongs to another. In that very patriarchal age a wife was classified as a "belonging" but in the Hebrew tradition of naming the most important first the wife is rated above the donkey.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

To covet means to yearn to possess something that belongs to another ... it is a form of idolatry

Coveting which the Tenth Commandment condemns is the desire to have something which one does not have, or which one does not think he or she has enough of. In brief, coveting wants more. It is not content with what it already has, no matter how much that might be.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When a desire surpasses trusting God for an object it is coveting.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In that very patriarchal age a wife was classified as a "belonging" but in the Hebrew tradition of naming the most important first the wife is rated above the donkey.

To gild the lily, the Muslim man's wife is the slave to whom he's in debt, the Jewish man regrets not breaking off negotiations after securing the donkey, and the Christian man esteems her at an inestimable value.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thelord's_pearl

Dec 5, 2018
ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To covet means to yearn to possess something that belongs to another ... it is a form of idolatry

Coveting which the Tenth Commandment condemns is the desire to have something which one does not have, or which one does not think he or she has enough of. In brief, coveting wants more. It is not content with what it already has, no matter how much that might be.
Thanks for the replies everyone. So I can't want to shop for more things? Also, you can't help it if you desire something you don't have but as long as you don't overly think about it right?

Upvote 0

thelord's_pearl

Dec 5, 2018
ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel that coveting is hard to follow as sometimes you would like to have what someone else has but the fact that you don't ask for it is alright right? Or if you tell your family member, if you don't want it anymore then I'll have it, would that be ok too? Thank you if anyone knows the answer to this.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I feel that coveting is hard to follow as sometimes you would like to have what someone else has but the fact that you don't ask for it is alright right? Or if you tell your family member, if you don't want it anymore then I'll have it, would that be ok too?
Jam 1:14 But each person is tempted when he is dragged away and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin. And sin, when it is full grown, gives birth to death.

As these verses show, the problem with covetousness / desire is that it leads into temptation. Now, as soon as we becomes aware of this “desire” for something, we have the ability to be mindful and think about its consequences and move away from it.

On the other hand, if we just “go with the flow” and go along enjoying this sense attraction, that is what is called “temptation“.

I may be attracted to something that someone else has. But I should get this desire immediately out of my mind. Otherwise, the thought might lead to feelings of envy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thelord's_pearl

Dec 5, 2018
ON
✟32,481.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My sister asked me if she can have the scarf I bought since I haven't worn it yet and I gave it to her. I have asked my mom if I can have her lovely jacket if she doesn't mind which I don't think I can find and that she had for years and she loves me and said I can have it so ? is this really a big deal?

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My sister asked me if she can have the scarf I bought since I haven't worn it yet and I gave it to her. I have asked my mom if I can have her lovely jacket if she doesn't mind which I don't think I can find and that she had for years and she loves me and said I can have it so ? is this really a big deal?
No, I don't think this is is a big deal at all. Some of our desires are for good things. We may desire to study and pass exams. We may desire to excel in sports. We may desire to read the Bible and other books. We may desire to serve God and other people.

There are many examples in the NT for the same word used in a positive sense. Jesus said, "I have desired to eat this passover with you." Some desires / covetousness is good. Without these we cannot progress in life or get anything done.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Basically don't allow any kind of greed in heart nor in thought. Don't desire anything that's not yours.

It is a desire to possess something belonging to another.

It particularly applies to wanting the possessions of others.

Covet means to strongly desire that which belongs to another.

Coveting which the Tenth Commandment condemns is the desire to have something which one does not have, or which one does not think he or she has enough of.

When a desire surpasses trusting God for an object it is coveting.

It means, to desire anything not yours.

It means to desire with lust something of someone elses.
These are good definitions for what "covet" means in Ex 20:17; Rom 7:7; Rom 13:9; etc. But it's not what covetousness means in general. Thus these definitions are misleading in deciding everyday life situations. In the LXX & NT the verb translated "covet" is "epithymeo." The noun "covetousness" is "epithymia."

Basically, "covetousness" is a strong desire and thus occasionally translated as "longing." Both the verb and noun are used many times in the NT, frequently in a positive sense. So, desire is not always bad and one must distinguish between bad desires and good desires:

Mat 13:17 For truly I say to you that many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which you see, and have not seen them, and to hear those things which you hear, and have not heard them.

Luke 15:16 He desired to eat the carob pods the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

Luke 16:21 Lazarus longed to eat the crumbs that fell from the rich man’s table. Instead, dogs would come and lick his sores.

Luke 17:22 Then he said to the disciples, “The days are coming when you will desire to see one of the days of the Son of Man, and you will not see it.

Luke 22:15 And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer.

Gal 5:17 For the flesh has desires that are opposed to the Spirit, and the Spirit has desires that are opposed to the flesh, for these are in opposition to each other, so that you cannot do what you want.

Phi 1:23 I feel torn between the two, because I have a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far,

1Th 2:17 But when we were separated from you, brothers and sisters, for a short time (in presence, not in affection) we became all the more fervent in our great desire to see you in person.

1Ti 3:1 This saying is trustworthy: “If someone desires to the office of overseer, he desires a good work.”

Heb 6:11 Our great desire is that you will keep on loving others as long as life lasts, in order to make certain that what you hope for will come true.

1Pe 1:12 It was revealed to them that in their search they were not serving themselves but you. These things, which even angels desire to examine, have now been proclaimed to you by those who brought you the good news. They did this in the power of the Holy Spirit, who was sent from heaven.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
These are good definitions for what "covet" means in Ex 20:17; Rom 7:7; Rom 13:9; etc. But it's not what covetousness means in general. Thus these definitions are misleading in deciding everyday life situations. In the LXX & NT the verb translated "covet" is "epithymeo." The noun "covetousness" is "epithymia."

Basically, "covetousness" is a strong desire and thus occasionally translated as "longing." Both the verb and noun are used many times in the NT, frequently in a positive sense. So, desire is not always bad and one must distinguish between bad desires and good desires:

Mat 13:17 For truly I say to you that many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which you see, and have not seen them, and to hear those things which you hear, and have not heard them.

Luke 15:16 He desired to eat the carob pods the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

Luke 16:21 Lazarus longed to eat the crumbs that fell from the rich man’s table. Instead, dogs would come and lick his sores.

Luke 17:22 Then he said to the disciples, “The days are coming when you will desire to see one of the days of the Son of Man, and you will not see it.

Luke 22:15 And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer.

Gal 5:17 For the flesh has desires that are opposed to the Spirit, and the Spirit has desires that are opposed to the flesh, for these are in opposition to each other, so that you cannot do what you want.

Phi 1:23 I feel torn between the two, because I have a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far,

1Th 2:17 But when we were separated from you, brothers and sisters, for a short time (in presence, not in affection) we became all the more fervent in our great desire to see you in person.

1Ti 3:1 This saying is trustworthy: “If someone desires to the office of overseer, he desires a good work.”

Heb 6:11 Our great desire is that you will keep on loving others as long as life lasts, in order to make certain that what you hope for will come true.

1Pe 1:12 It was revealed to them that in their search they were not serving themselves but you. These things, which even angels desire to examine, have now been proclaimed to you by those who brought you the good news. They did this in the power of the Holy Spirit, who was sent from heaven.
This is a 'new Christian room', where debates are not allowed, so I'm not I'm not sure why you are inviting one by challenging others. Giving your 2¢ should be sufficient.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is a 'new Christian room', where debates are not allowed, so I'm not I'm not sure why you are inviting one by challenging others. Giving your 2¢ should be sufficient.
Thank you for the note. Actually, this subject is important and often misunderstood enough that I may start a thread to discuss it.

Upvote 0