Fallen Nature/New Nature

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
So what's possible assuming mankind has a fallen nature. Can beings have a fallen nature and yet not of the type Calvinists would put forth......Total Depravity? Then people get arguing about what exactly is TOTAL.

I've thought about this often and believe a certain type of analogy might be helpful. I have to borrow something from entertainment culture to give an analogy though and forgive me for doing so as it might seem kind of Treky from Star Trek. I don't watch the show so don't think I'm getting nutty but maybe this can help.

In Star Trek you have different species. Think of the Klingons. What are they? They're a species which have a very aggressive nature. Think of Worf in the Next Generation shows. So the Klingons (in fiction) learned to work along with humans even serving together on the same Star Ships.....as part of the Federation. But what of their nature? Animal like? Aggressive? Yes....but totally and absolutely corrupt? No.

They still have a capacity to do many good things. So man before the fall did not have a nature of wrath. When mankind fell their spirits degenerated and their nature became fallen. Or to put it this way mankind now had a nature like the Klingons. God saw beyond just the surface problem of men. Merely seeking to reform ones character could never really deal with the roots of man's real problem. Nature became the real true problem for man.....not necessarily his actions.

It's not what men do but it's all about what men are that make them a sinner. God knew right from the Garden after the Fall that men's spirits would need to be born again.....a recreation would have to take place but this wouldn't be made available for a few thousand years. There was a promissory note however that this would ultimately be made available We see the inklings of it mentioned and brought forth in Ezekiel 36:24,28,

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.
Ezekiel 36:24-28

God called the foreign nature of man.....a stony heart but the prophecy spoke of a heart of flesh (the life, love and nature of God) In Jn 3 Jesus set the record straight for one Nicodemus a religious priest who was told of his real problem....He needed to be born again! How could something like this be? He was morally considered a good man why would something more be needed? Jesus told him a whole new creation needs to take place.

Jesus also stated unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees you won't enter the Kingdom of God!! That wasn't meant to be a put down of the religious leaders at that point. He was merely making clear mankind individually needs a new heart and a new nature! OK for thousands of years men didn't have this. From the Fall until the resurrection of Christ men had to do their best to be a good

person.....they were commanded to repent from their sin, they were given the law but it was a given man would fall short of being able to keep it......but they still had to try their best and many did. The priesthood was established and the shedding of the blood of animals was provided for the covering for sin.......when they died (before the resurrection of Christ) the righteous saints went to the place of bliss...Abraham's bosom..... but it wasn't the ultimate place of victory.....Heaven.

So we see in Eph 2:3 "Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others." It states we once had the nature of wrath......but now we are partakers of the divine nature, God's nature, God's love within us. 2 Pt 1:4 So what happens when one is Born Again? They become a new creature in Christ Jesus 2 Cor 5:17 ....they're not the same creature they once were. (More Could Be Said)

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So what's possible assuming mankind has a fallen nature.
Romans 3 does a good job of capturing the real, true fallen nature of all mankind.

Can beings have a fallen nature and yet not of the type Calvinists would put forth.
sorta.

Calvinists are right that the fallen nature is depraved - but they are not correct to suppose that God "can not" draw a soul with a fallen nature such that the person CAN choose the Gospel , has a will that is fully enabled to choose life - and yet is not mind-zapped and forced to do it.

John 12:32 "I will draw ALL MANKIND unto Me" - that supernatural drawing of ALL by infinite God -- fully enables all the choice needed to accept the Gospel - no matter the depravity of the soul in sin.

God is able to give fallen man "choice" without having to first cause that fallen man to be a born-again new-creation. Which means that fallen man can choose life or death - and it can't be "blamed on God" as if God left fallen man with no choice.

Reactions: Bobber
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Romans 3 does a good job of capturing the real, true fallen nature of all mankind.

sorta.

Calvinists are right that the fallen nature is depraved - but they are not correct to suppose that God "can not" draw a soul with a fallen nature such that the person CAN choose the Gospel , has a will that is fully enabled to choose life - and yet is not mind-zapped and forced to do it.

John 12:32 "I will draw ALL MANKIND unto Me" - that supernatural drawing of ALL by infinite God -- fully enables all the choice needed to accept the Gospel - no matter the depravity of the soul in sin.

God is able to give fallen man "choice" without having to first cause that fallen man to be a born-again new-creation. Which means that fallen man can choose life or death - and it can't be "blamed on God" as if God left fallen man with no choice.
I agree.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So what's possible assuming mankind has a fallen nature. Can beings have a fallen nature and yet not of the type Calvinists would put forth......Total Depravity? Then people get arguing about what exactly is TOTAL.

I've thought about this often and believe a certain type of analogy might be helpful. I have to borrow something from entertainment culture to give an analogy though and forgive me for doing so as it might seem kind of Treky from Star Trek. I don't watch the show so don't think I'm getting nutty but maybe this can help.

In Star Trek you have different species. Think of the Klingons. What are they? They're a species which have a very aggressive nature. Think of Worf in the Next Generation shows. So the Klingons (in fiction) learned to work along with humans even serving together on the same Star Ships.....as part of the Federation. But what of their nature? Animal like? Aggressive? Yes....but totally and absolutely corrupt? No.

They still have a capacity to do many good things. So man before the fall did not have a nature of wrath. When mankind fell their spirits degenerated and their nature became fallen. Or to put it this way mankind now had a nature like the Klingons. God saw beyond just the surface problem of men. Merely seeking to reform ones character could never really deal with the roots of man's real problem. Nature became the real true problem for man.....not necessarily his actions.

It's not what men do but it's all about what men are that make them a sinner. God knew right from the Garden after the Fall that men's spirits would need to be born again.....a recreation would have to take place but this wouldn't be made available for a few thousand years. There was a promissory note however that this would ultimately be made available We see the inklings of it mentioned and brought forth in Ezekiel 36:24,28,

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.

God called the foreign nature of man.....a stony heart but the prophecy spoke of a heart of flesh (the life, love and nature of God) In Jn 3 Jesus set the record straight for one Nicodemus a religious priest who was told of his real problem....He needed to be born again! How could something like this be? He was morally considered a good man why would something more be needed? Jesus told him a whole new creation needs to take place.

Jesus also stated unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees you won't enter the Kingdom of God!! That wasn't meant to be a put down of the religious leaders at that point. He was merely making clear mankind individually needs a new heart and a new nature! OK for thousands of years men didn't have this. From the Fall until the resurrection of Christ men had to do their best to be a good

person.....they were commanded to repent from their sin, they were given the law but it was a given man would fall short of being able to keep it......but they still had to try their best and many did. The priesthood was established and the shedding of the blood of animals was provided for the covering for sin.......when they died (before the resurrection of Christ) the righteous saints went to the place of bliss...Abraham's bosom..... but it wasn't the ultimate place of victory.....Heaven.

So we see in Eph 2:3 "Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others." It states we once had the nature of wrath......but now we are partakers of the divine nature, God's nature, God's love within us. 2 Pt 1:4 So what happens when one is Born Again? They become a new creature in Christ Jesus 2 Cor 5:17 ....they're not the same creature they once were. (More Could Be Said)
Fallen nature is simply one that prefers self over God, does not submit to him and sees no need to do so.

man is born as an enemy of God, without eternal life

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Here are some teachings that reflect the historic position of the church as I understand it:

406 The Church's teaching on the transmission of original sin was articulated more precisely in the fifth century, especially under the impulse of St. Augustine's reflections against Pelagianism, and in the sixteenth century, in opposition to the Protestant Reformation. Pelagius held that man could, by the natural power of free will and without the necessary help of God's grace, lead a morally good life; he thus reduced the influence of Adam's fault to bad example. The first Protestant reformers, on the contrary, taught that original sin has radically perverted man and destroyed his freedom; they identified the sin inherited by each man with the tendency to evil (concupiscentia), which would be insurmountable. The Church pronounced on the meaning of the data of Revelation on original sin especially at the second Council of Orange (529)296 and at the Council of Trent (1546).297

2515 Etymologically, "concupiscence" can refer to any intense form of human desire. Christian theology has given it a particular meaning: the movement of the sensitive appetite contrary to the operation of the human reason. The apostle St. Paul identifies it with the rebellion of the "flesh" against the "spirit."302 Concupiscence stems from the disobedience of the first sin. It unsettles man's moral faculties and, without being in itself an offense, inclines man to commit sins.303

Consider that the chief aspect of the state known as "original sin", a state that makes sin inevitable for fallen man, is separation or alienation from God. It has nothing to do with man's nature changing or with him taking on a new nature but everything to do with man losing something.

Jesus came to rectify this situation, to reconcile man and God and thus restore the union with Him that we were made for- and are lost without. The entranceway to this just relationship is faith.

Upvote 0