Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hold on, doesn't the shepherd say, 'That evil unrepentant sheep can fall of a cliff, into the flames and I'll get some bbq'd lamb chops'..?
Are you familiar with Matt 18:12-13?
Matthew 18:12-13
12 How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray?
13 And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray.
Where does scripture say that a shepherd goes looking for wild sheep and brings them back mixes them with his sheep?
You must not have read the OT either. Lamb was the primary meat dish of the Israelites.

Exodus 12:5-6
5 Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats:
6 And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.
Exodus 12:8
8 And they shall eat the flesh in that night, roast with fire, and unleavened bread; and with bitter herbs they shall eat it.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...I suggest there were more early fathers than just Origen who either held to it (in faith or in hope). Clement of Alexandria and Gregory of Nyssa are 2 clear examples. Universalism was kept a little quiet because they recognised it could be misconstrued as a licence to sin. And that remains an issue today. But I can't in good faith preach a gospel which has a threat of eternal punishment at its base....
Perhaps you should read the ECF for yourself rather than rely on the writings of other UR-ites.
Clement of Alexandria The Stromata, Or Miscellanies. Book I.
Chap. I. “Labour,” says the Lord, “not for the meat which perisheth, but for that which endureth to everlasting life.” (
Joh_6:27)
Here, intentionally or not, Clement has defined/described "eternal life" as the opposite of that which perishes.
= = = = = = = = = =
Clement of Alexandrea Second Epistle Chap VI
For if we do the will of Christ, we shall find rest; otherwise, nothing shall deliver us from eternal punishment, if we disobey His commandments. For thus also saith the Scripture in Ezekiel, “If Noah, Job, and Daniel should rise up, they should not deliver their children in captivity.” (
Eze_14:14, Eze_14:20) Now, if men so eminently righteous are not able by their righteousness to deliver their children, how239 can we hope to enter into the royal residence240 of God unless we keep our baptism holy and undefiled? Or who shall be our advocate, unless we be found possessed of works of holiness and righteousness?
Here, intentionally or not, Clement has defined "eternal punishment" as the opposite of rest.

Upvote 0