Deep in the heart of the Bible belt
Visit site
✟14,521.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
KerrMetric said:
You're asking them to do something that is an anathema to them.
Somehow, my best friend in high school grew up to become a young-earth creationist, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, and the principal of a fundamentalist Christian high school located inside a church. It was very weird meeting him again after so many years, with us both on completely different paths. I tried to explain a hundred proofs that evolution was at least basically true while the fundamentalist thing was fundamentally flawed. None of it had any effect on him whatsoever. Because as I spoke, I saw his eyes glaze over so that his politely-smiling face became eerily mannequin-like. It seemed clear to me that he was rehearsing some mental mantra to prevent him even considering anything I had to say. He told me he would not engage me in a forum like this, nor he said should I expect any YEC to actually address the points and queries I raised as one logically would with almost any other topic. My friend had admitted to me, in his own little way, that he had adopted his school's official motto of deliberately ignoring anything and everything which seemed to contest a narrow dogmatic worship of thier ridiculous fable. Their belief is much more important to them than is the truth, and truth be damned if it turns out not to be what they pretend to 'know' it is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hydra009

bel esprit
Oct 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Merlin said:
OK.
An ocean *could* develop slowly.
Why *must* it develop slowly?
Have any examples of seafloor spreading occuring faster? Or a mechanism that would cause plate movement at a much faster rate than is predicted by plate tectonics and observed today?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Merlin said:
OK.
An ocean *could* develop slowly.
Why *must* it develop slowly?

YEC"s (after realized that seafloor spreading and plate tectonics left too many marks to not have happened) decided it must have all happened during the flood.

Unfortunately that would have had the effect of killing everything in the sea and boiling noah's little ark.

Upvote 0

Merlin

Paradigm Buster
Sep 29, 2005
Avalon Island
✟17,437.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Hydra009 said:
Have any examples of seafloor spreading occuring faster? Or a mechanism that would cause plate movement at a much faster rate than is predicted by plate tectonics and observed today?

There is no need.
Recently there was news of a new species of animal found in Bornio.
Does the lack of evidence of this life mean it never existed or coouldn't exist?
Of course not!
Current scientific lack of evidence does not preclude possibility or exitence.

Upvote 0