What do you think of "The Patriot Act" 22 years later?

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟735,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Hastily passed 45 days after 9/11 in the name of national security, the Patriot Act was the first of many changes to surveillance laws that made it easier for the government to spy on ordinary Americans by expanding the authority to monitor phone and email communications, collect bank and credit reporting records, and track the activity of innocent Americans on the Internet. While most Americans think it was created to catch terrorists, the Patriot Act actually turns regular citizens into suspects.

By locking people (including American citizens) on foreign soil with no warrant, no due process, and possibly under conditions of torture, Wire tapping, credit card and bank, computer and telephone surveillance (unwarranted), have we safeguarded the tenants of the Constitution/Bill of Rights of the United States?

Reactions: Vambram

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟123,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
What has become known as Rahm’s rule was definitely the catalyst of the Patriot Act.

I was 10 % for it and 90% against it when it was conceived.... because I knew that it would not stay within the confines of the original intent.
When you give the government an inch laterally it will be expanded vertically with as they deem necessary ………. they have done and continue to do just that.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟735,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
What has become known as Rahm’s rule was definitely the catalyst of the Patriot Act.

I was 10 % for it and 90% against it when it was conceived.... because I knew that it would not stay within the confines of the original intent.
When you give the government an inch laterally it will be expanded vertically with as they deem necessary ………. they have done and continue to do just that.
How has this law affected "our" freedom? Is it possible that under the right governmental leadership it could be expanded to some form of totalitarianism? More to the point , has it already done so?

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟331,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I seem to recall posting my opposition to it on these forums when it was first passed. My opinion has not changed -- though it does seem like some of those supporting it, disagreeing with me at the time, have now changed their minds.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
track the activity of innocent Americans on the Internet
The innocent have nothing to worry about. The bank sends us a copy of those reports. I thought it was interesting to find out what my wife does with her money. Although it use to be they had to pay someone to spy on us. Now they can get a computer program to do it and it costs them a lot less money. It cannot be that difficult to beat the algorithms. The thief is going to use them to try to get our money. It is not as if we have a choice in this. Should we be more worried about the bad guy or the people trying to catch the bad guy in their dirty deeds? Of course, there are police who think everyone is guilty because they are corrupt. So that could be an issue.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟735,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
After 1/6 the FBI said our greatest threat was domestic terrorism. Maybe we really do need to protect ourselves from the enemies of democracy who are growing like weeds around our country.
Is there a way to do that while still observing due process, rights to privacy, and other rights that have been eliminated in certain circumstances?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟145,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It has the word "patriot" in it, so how bad could it be?
If I recall correctly the “PATRIOT” is actually an acronym for…something.
(Thank you Wikipedia, “Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism”)

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,097,554.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Is there a way to do that while still observing due process, rights to privacy, and other rights that have been eliminated in certain circumstances?
I believe a warrant is needed for most surveillance, and cause is needed for a warrant.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟74,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
How do we determine who is innocent without due process?
There is no due process until you have evidence of a crime. The police think everyone is guilty of something and I just do not believe that.

Upvote 0