What do you think of Joel Osteen?

goldenboy

Feb 4, 2010
✟18,150.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think that Osteen has publicly disgraced his own ministry, and I wouldn't go to a meeting of his unless he paid me. I think it is a brave and foolish thing to question a man's salvation, but, in Osteen's case, I shouldn't care to bet that I'll see him when I get inside the pearly gates. [I have since repented of this viewpoint. I was wrong. As I, myself have said, 'it is a brave and foolish thing to question a man's salvation', which is exactly what I did. Unfortunately, the foolish part won out, AND, it was NOT brave, but, cowardly. Apology is in another post in this thread.
Sorry, again, guys!]

ETA: REST OF THIS POST DELETED, AS I THINK THAT IT IS AN OFFENSE, RATHER THAN EDIFYING.

Last edited:
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I think that Osteen has publicly disgraced his own ministry, and I wouldn't go to a meeting of his unless he paid me. I think it is a brave and foolish thing to question a man's salvation, but, in Osteen's case, I shouldn't care to bet that I'll see him when I get inside the pearly gates.

Google something like "Joel Osteen" and "Larry King" and 'Denies Jesus', something like that.
He was on the Larry King show, and King actually asked him "Is Jesus the only Way to Heaven", or God, or something like that. The question was as unambiguous as you could want. What did this Shepherd of the flock say??? "Well, Larry, I don't know." He mumbled something about Jesus working for himself..!!! It was pretty sickening. King then asked him again, only in a different, unambiguous way. Same response. "Well, Jesus works for me, Larry." Or something equally mealy mouthed.

Watching it, I was struck by the fact that King, a Jew, wasn't being accusatory or belligerent; he was asking, in his usual way, 'what do YOU think?'. Here was a Jew, who even then was nearing the end of his own earthly walk, if Jesus was the only Way to Heaven. IIRC, King was giving Osteen every chance possible, in a gracious manner, to say "Jesus is the Only way to Heaven!" And, what does he do? Equivocates, with as little backbone as a jellyfish. If you are a Christian, and have a need to vomit, watch this.

I can't judge his heart, but, EEEK! I think that even the bizarre Tammy Faye would have at least said 'Yes" to that question. So, I'm supposed to go to this guy's church, and give money to him to hear of 'what works for him?" I'm supposed to give my life to a Jesus that 'works for him'...but, this man says he doesn't know if He will work for me? This is horrendous!

Well let's listen to what was said,without biased words.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
He said ,here's what the Bible teaches I want to put my Faith in Christ and I believe that with all my heart.
He said I present the truth and I tell people every week it's a relationship with Jesus.
He said I'm not going to judge a persons heart I'm going to let God do that.

Looking at it objectively He proclaimed Christ is the only way.
But he did so in a diplomatic way.
For me I do not have the ability to say I don't know a persons heart and I'm going to let God do that.
In season out of season I must tell people if you reject Christ you will suffer eternal damnation.
I don't Judge hearts as far as someone who confess salvation.
But if they deny Christ it is not judging ,it is truth.
There are laws in this universe ,one is all men die.
Another is to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.
When we die it's 2 places one is Hell,unless you receive Christ you are going there.
It is not judgment ,it is not debatable.
Joel I believe is a good man and his Dad was a powerful man of God.
His diplomacy is due to things like this.
He is in as no win zone and critics are going to bash him no matter what he says.
If he said what I just said he would be labeled extremist.
The media is rigged to eat away at any man of God.

Upvote 0

Simon the Tanner

Aspiring Apologist / Theoretical Theologian
Mar 18, 2015
Dallas, Texas USA
✟40,334.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Also, Joel issued an apology after his sub-par performance on Larry King.

"Many of you have called, written or e-mailed regarding my recent appearance on Larry King Live. I appreciate your comments and value your words of correction and encouragement.

It was never my desire or intention to leave any doubt as to what I believe and Whom I serve. I believe with all my heart that it is only through Christ that we have hope in eternal life. I regret and sincerely apologize that I was unclear on the very thing in which I have dedicated my life.

Jesus declared in John 14; I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me. I believe that Jesus Christ alone is the only way to salvation. However, it wasn't until I had the opportunity to review the transcript of the interview that I realize I had not clearly stated that having a personal relationship with Jesus is the only way to heaven. It's about the individual's choice to follow Him.

God has given me a platform to present the Gospel to a very diverse audience. In my desire not to alienate the people that Jesus came to save, I did not clearly communicate the convictions that I hold so precious.

I will use this as a learning experience and believe that God will ultimately use it for my good and His glory. I am comforted by the fact that He sees my heart and knows my intentions. I am so thankful that I have friends, like you, who are willing to share their concerns with me.

Thank you again to those who have written. I hope that you accept my deepest apology and see it in your heart to extend to me grace and forgiveness.

As always, I covet your prayers and I am believing for God's best in your life,

Joel Osteen
Pastor - Lakewood Church

Joel Osteen Issues Apology

Joel Osteen's Letter About The Interview | Joel Osteen: The Smiling Preacher

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If in fact JO has backed up on the gospel then correction is in order.
I recall in my own life, back in the 70s, a Jehovah Witness relative asked me if I knew what the fish symbol meant. The Greek word for fish is "ixthus" or "icthus." The Christian fish symbol that many Christians place on their cars is known as the “ixthus.” Five Greek letters form the word “ixthus,” and those letters inside the fish form an acrostic which is a message that Christians clearly identified with. The first letter represented the word Jesus. The second letter represented the word Christ, the next two, God Son, and the final letter represented the word Savior. This adds up to “Jesus Christ is God’s Son, the Savior.”
Not wanting to offend him, I replied that I was not sure.
BAD MOVE.
The Holy Spirit hit me as hard as I have ever been hit. I actually had to call the man and testify not holding back who Jesus was and what the letters "ixthus" meant.
I cannot see how any minister called of God could get away with denying Jesus and who he is/was.

• Agree
Reactions: goldenboy
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Our Nation has become so corrupted, that we are the ones straining at a knat and swallowing a Camel.

We ignore the vile nature of our culture it's self, take no responsibility for the abominations before us, and attack a soft target like Joel.

Why not a outrage about the writers and network of the TV show Lucifer.?
Why not protest fake news, for being biased to the point of extremes?
Why not be outraged at aborition?
Why not be outraged at the loss of life in the middle East, and the Politicians who keep us there?

The list could go on, but that is my point.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,340.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The list could go on, but that is my point.

Hello Now Faith. As a guest in your forum I would just give one piece of friendly advice. Please take a step back. We would expect the people you mentioned, satanists and Arab dictators to be evil. However in this case the celebrity preacher who is billed to be something great was asked a straight and unambiguous question about the gospel and could not give a clear and unambiguous answer back. This would not be expected and is troubling. And don't take this the wrong way, but I note that the video clip you posted was only half of the conversation. The part you omitted the celebrity preacher says that muslims and hindus could be saved outside of the gospel. I know you have a sentimental attachment to the movement and all that, but the Lord is so much bigger than one movement. If the movement were to fall, the Lord remains. Therefore do not be afraid of the truth. God Bless :)

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Hello Now Faith. As a guest in your forum I would just give one piece of friendly advice. Please take a step back. We would expect the people you mentioned, satanists and Arab dictators to be evil. However in this case the celebrity preacher who is billed to be something great was asked a straight and unambiguous question about the gospel and could not give a clear and unambiguous answer back. This would not be expected and is troubling. And don't take this the wrong way, but I note that the video clip you posted was only half of the conversation. The part you omitted the celebrity preacher says that muslims and hindus could be saved outside of the gospel. I know you have a sentimental attachment to the movement and all that, but the Lord is so much bigger than one movement. If the movement were to fall, the Lord remains. Therefore do not be afraid of the truth. God Bless :)

I did not omit anything, this was taken directly from youtube.
But your pointing out the absence of the rest of the statements is common with critics.
They post a snippet to prove something.
It's not about Word of Faith, it's about accusing men of God of wrong doing.
It was Billy Graham who said we would see Muslims and Buddest in Heaven.
The statement was taken out of context, but just like those who create their own dogmatic ideals these gossip news flashes occur.
Keep in mind a kingdom divided cannot stand, and our real enemy is the same old devil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
They own airplanes Jesus rode a donkey - Something seriously wrong there.

Really,are you comparing Joel to God?
Are you saying God is broke?
There is symbolism in Christ riding a donkey into Jerusalem.
In that day it symbolized a King coming in peace.
Jesus could Have rode into Jerusalem with a legion of Angels and destroyed it and the rest of this World.
It baffles me that somehow you compare what Jesus did to what Joel Osteen does.
Jesus killed a fig tree does Joel kill trees too?
Jesus created the universe ,can Joel do That?
When you meet Jesus you can ask him why A Preacher has nicer ride than He does.

Upvote 0

UnseenSaviour

Mar 9, 2018
DUBLIN
✟9,856.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Private
The point which is clearly oblivious to you - Is that there is a clear difference between how Jesus lived his life and how some, (not all) preachers live theirs. Jesus humbled himself - can you seriously say they have? - if so your blind

• Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He's a false teacher
In the context of NT teaching... a false teacher is just like a NT false prophet. NT false teachers and false prophets deny Christ, and want you to deny Christ also. If JO denies Christ, then indeed he is a false teacher. However, if he merely teaches things that are wrong, then he is just a teacher who is in error. But by NT definitions, in order to be a false teacher/prophet, then you have to deny Christ and want others to deny Him also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
The point which is clearly oblivious to you - Is that there is a clear difference between how Jesus lived his life and how some, (not all) preachers live theirs. Jesus humbled himself - can you seriously say they have? - if so your blind

I'm not blind, I simply do not hold God to what I think He should be.
We serve a limitless God.

Upvote 0

Simon the Tanner

Aspiring Apologist / Theoretical Theologian
Mar 18, 2015
Dallas, Texas USA
✟40,334.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
goldenboy, if you'll scroll up in the thread you'll see where Joel acknowledged his poor performance on Larry King and he issued an apology to his church and supporters. That interview was fairly early on in Joel's career as an author and he wasn't really prepared for how to handle questions like that in doing his book promotion tour. He's improved a bit since then.

Upvote 0

hhodgson

Semper-fi
Site Supporter
Sep 20, 2011
Delphos, Ohio
✟613,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
They own airplanes Jesus rode a donkey - Something seriously wrong there.

I don't think they had airplanes back then, right?
roll-eye-smiley1_zps9gmhmo3j.gif
A donkey was the best they had for travel... especially long distances. The only thing that's (not so serious) that (may) be considered "wrong" here is... yes! Jesus rode a donkey, while the REST of them... walked!

Word-of-Faith1_zps3y4drm8y.gif

• Haha
Reactions: now faith
Upvote 0