A Liberal Christian
Feb 10, 2004
✟18,900.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Suzannah said:
Well, since no one else will say it outright, I will.
He is a t-e-r-r-o-r-i-s-t. He supports terror, incites terror and encourages terror.
He cloaks his brand of terrorism in a Christian theology...hmmmmmmmmm...sound familiar???

I second that Suzannah. If he was a Muslim everyone would be holding their hands up in horror, he might even be arrested! :mad:

Upvote 0

d0c markus

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few
Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Tangnefedd said:
Hitler found the Jews evil and was dedicated to the holocaust, was his dedication good Doc?
Yes Hail Hitler... :rolleyes: Take it however you want whether I correct you on what you think I myself said. Ridiculous.

Upvote 0

d0c markus

Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Suzannah said:
Let me put it this way. In the the OP you asked for British opinion. You got one from Tangnefedd, which I daresay is pretty well representative of British opinion. The Brits can't stand him either. I gave you an IRISH opinion. I also happen to be a former Protestant. The Irish, even the Protestants cannot stomach this man. What does this tell you??? Americans really need to do their research before contending for anything or anyone, in Ireland, Northern Ireland, Britian or anywhere else. And when you ask for our opinion, it would be nice if you actually took it into account.
I am and I appreciate your insights. I did not know violence followed him, I am really glad I asked about him because it opens up a new window to look through.

How exactly did he make it into office and how long has he been in office?

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
d0c markus said:
I am and I appreciate your insights. I did not know violence followed him, I am really glad I asked about him because it opens up a new window to look through.

How exactly did he make it into office and how long has he been in office?

Hi there. Ian P. was the founder of the Ulster Protestant Volunteers and the Ulster Constitution defense Committee, the former a quasi paramilitary group, now having ties to a terrorist/paramilitary group in Northern Ireland. He made it into office, because a) that group carries tremendous "clout" and b) the majority of voters were Protestants. The DUP (Democratic Unionist Party) has ties to that group. (sounds a bit like tactics of organized crime doesn't it???? hmmm...)

This site, although put together by a private party, is an excellent overview of Ian P's "life and times"...as old I am, I have borne witness to most of what is contained herein:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Atrium/1678/ian.html

This portion should be of particular interest to any Christian:
"His "theologian" degrees are suspect:
He received an honorary degree from Bob Jones University of South Carolina in 1966 and is a regular preacher there. To this day, his actual ordination is the subject of controversy. It was never valid under Presbyterian rules. He obtained a B.A. in Divinity from Pioneer Theological Seminary in Rockville, Ill. in 1954 and an honorary doctorate 7 months later. He received a Masters Degree from Burton College and Seminary in Manitou Springs, Colorado. Both are bogus, disreputable correspondence schools described as "degree mills" by the US Dept. of Education."

"Paramilitary" sounds a lot better than "terrorist" doesn't it??? Same thing...
especially to those of us who have family and friends in the Shankill...
or wherever!

Upvote 0

oworm

Veteran
Nov 24, 2003
United States
Visit site
✟12,171.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Tangnefedd said:
I think that awful man is the face of evil!
Ian Paisley and his likes wear their hearts on their sleeve.
The face of evil is much more subtle!! Much less overt !! The true evilness of evil appears as an angel of light; as a wolf in sheeps clothing!!!

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Tangnefedd said:
I would be heading in the opposite direction if that terrible excuse for a human being is in heaven!!! :mad: :mad:
How glad am I (along with most of protestant Northern Ireland) that it's not up to you.

Take a seat and breathe deeply, then get a grip.

Andy

Upvote 0

Tangnefedd

A Liberal Christian
Feb 10, 2004
✟18,900.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That man has helped to create a reign of terror in that Province setting neighbour against neighbour. If most protestants in Northern Ireland support him, well God help the place.

I do hope that one day Northern Ireland can be reunited with the South. Partiton has not worked, the whole of Ireland should belong to the Irish imo, then maybe the terrible wrongs of history might be rectified. I hope William of Orange is not resting easy in his grave, he has much to answer for. The Brits have treated the Irish without respect throughout the centuries. The IRA is a terrible organisation, but one can understand why they have some support!

My grandmother was Irish, and although I could not stand the woman, when I visited Dublin I felt an instant rapport with those lovely folk.

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
theFijian said:
How glad am I (along with most of protestant Northern Ireland) that it's not up to you.

Take a seat and breathe deeply, then get a grip.

Andy
Well, Andy, the next time you see him, please give him a message:

"I am Jesus, Whom you are persecuting"....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d0c markus

Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Tangnefedd said:
I would be heading in the opposite direction if that terrible excuse for a human being is in heaven!!! :mad: :mad:
Thats terrible.

Ever heard the hymn

'They will know we are christians by our love... by our love...'

What makes you better or more innocent by slandering him. He is no more worthy of heaven than you or I.

Perhaps we should pray for the man and 'love our neighbor as ourselves' as that is one of the 2 greatest commands in the kingdom of heaven or so says our Lord Jesus himself whom we profess to follow.

Upvote 0

Tangnefedd

A Liberal Christian
Feb 10, 2004
✟18,900.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
d0c markus said:
Thats terrible.

Ever heard the hymn

'They will know we are christians by our love... by our love...'

What makes you better or more innocent by slandering him. He is no more worthy of heaven than you or I.

Perhaps we should pray for the man and 'love our neighbor as ourselves' as that is one of the 2 greatest commands in the kingdom of heaven or so says our Lord Jesus himself whom we profess to follow.

I don't know if I am worthy of heaven or not, but Ian Paisley's infamatory speeches have incited hatred between the Catholics and Protestants that is fact! If God smiles on that sort of behaviour then Christianity is not for me!

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, I don't like speculating as to who is going where...but I do think that it is not "slander" to state the facts of who he is now, what he has done in the past and continues to do now, in the present....
I don't know if he is going to heaven or not. I'm not even sure that I am...but I do know what Ian is, where he comes from, and what he is doing....I certainly haven't forgotten where I come from...

Upvote 0

oworm

Veteran
Nov 24, 2003
United States
Visit site
✟12,171.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Tangnefedd said:
I don't know if I am worthy of heaven or not,
Your not !! No one is: It's purely by Gods grace and mercy that anyone inherits heaven !
"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23)

Tangnefedd said:
but Ian Paisley's infamatory speeches have incited hatred between the Catholics and Protestants that is fact!
Catholics and Protestants were hating each other long beofore Mr Paisley was born.
Consider also that Jesus himself made a few speeches about the religious authoritys in his day which earned him the same kind of criticism your leveling at Mr Paisley.

Im no fan of Ian Paisley myself. Insofar as his rhetoric and delivery of speeches are concerned he certainly pulls no punches. But we stand on dangerous ground when we start to judge whether another person is Gods child or not. Unless you know a person 'personally' your in no position to assume one way or the other about their eternal destiny. Jeus said "By their fruit you shall know them" that is true but the truth is and i venture to be adament that no one in this thread actually knows the fruits of Ian Paisleys labour so therefore no one can judge whether he is a child of God or not!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

StormeTorque

Floreat Dunelmia
Aug 28, 2003
Visit site
✟17,535.00
Faith
Agnostic
I have never heard about him before until I searched for him on the internet...and was shocked at the level of hatred which this man spouts. I found the following from http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Atrium/1678/ian.html

Yes, I know man is imperfect, but this person is definately not Christian if you consider what he says. How could he claim to follow Jesus and believe what he does? It truly is sickening.

His Position on Catholics
  • In 1956, Rev. Paisley abducted a 16 year old girl, Maura Lyons, who was in a dispute with her parents about joining the Free Presbyterian Church. He attempted to use her as an anti-Catholic propaganda stunt and would not inform police where she was. Paisley was later ordered in court never to go near the girl or her family again.
  • In 1959, the Presbyterian Moderator of Ireland was on tour of churches and visited a Catholic priest, the Rev. J. Wilson, whom he had befriended. Rev. Paisley described this act of human friendship as an act of "blasphemy".
  • In April, 1958, Rev. Paisley sponsored Juan Arrien, a Spanish ex-priest, who performed exaggerated "mock masses" as part of an anti-Catholic road show. When Fr. Murphy of Ballymurphy protested that a public facility was to be used for this sectarian, anti-Catholic show, Rev. Paisley responded in his magazine, Revivalist, "We know your church to be the mother of harlots and the abomination of the earth."
  • On June 17, 1959, at a Belfast rally, he publicly chastised "the men of the Shankill for allowing papists, pope's men, and papishers" to live on the Shankill Rd. Angry crowds went to the addresses called out by Paisley, burned out the occupants and looted their homes.
  • As religious ecumenism was progressing between Churches and Religions during the 1960s, a Catholic priest actually preached in Westminster Abbey and Protestant ministers were welcomed in Catholic churches, Mr. Paisley was -- and still is -- wild with recrimination and bigotry at any intra-religious experience or sharing of ideas.
  • In keeping with the above attitude, he called Pope John XXIII a "Roman anti-Christ" and his Church the "Harlot of Babylon". On June 3, when the Pope died, Paisley roared, "This romish man of sin is now in hell."
  • In May of 1968, during the height of the Civil Rights movement in the North, Paisley addressed a mob of 500 loyalists and burned a photograph of Prime Minister O'Neil who was shown to be visiting a Catholic convent the week before.
  • After inciting loyalists to burn Catholic families out of their homes, the Rev. Paisley explained the problem to the press: His exact words were "Catholic homes caught fire because they were loaded with petrol bombs; Catholic churches were attacked and burned because they were arsenals and priests handed out sub-machine guns to parishioners; and the massive discrimination in employment and shortage of houses for Catholics were simply because they breed like "rabbits" and multiply like "vermin".
  • William Beattie, a loyal lieutenant of Rev. Paisley, addressed a DUP Youth Group after the Anglo-Irish Accord was signed by the Dublin and London governments in 1986: "We must hire assassins to kill Catholics and pay them when the job is done."

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thank you Storm Torque....you know I am very heartened by your post...I see you're a Scot and you're also young! You give me great hope for the future between our countries..I'm an old lady, and I have met many wonderful young people from Scotland and America who truly do understand the commandment: Love one another...
Thanks!
Blessings for you!

Upvote 0

StormeTorque

Floreat Dunelmia
Aug 28, 2003
Visit site
✟17,535.00
Faith
Agnostic
Thanks for the reply. I just finished reading the rest of the website about Ian Paisley and I'm shocked by what I've been reading. I think that only the KKK and Hitler, and the person who runs the Westboro baptist church, would come close to the level of evil and hatred of this man.

Upvote 0