d0c markus

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few
Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
What do you british think of Ian Paisley? How seriously should i take him?

paisley2.gif

Tangnefedd

A Liberal Christian
Feb 10, 2004
✟18,900.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ian Paisley is a dreadful man, I cringe when I hear his voice. The recent troubles in Ireland were started by his mob inciting the protestants to victimise the Catholics. It is forgotten that the British troops originally went into Northern Ireland in the 60s to protect the Catholics from the extreme protestant paramilitaries. The Provos got a lot of support as they were seen to be on the side of the Catholics. Then the powder keg really went up. Paisley has got one heck of a lot to answer for when he meets his maker!

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Tangnefedd said:
The recent troubles in Ireland were started by his mob inciting the protestants to victimise the Catholics.
Any evidence to backup this extremely serious allegation to make against another christian?

shalom,
Andy

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Depends if you're talking about his politics or his theology/christianity.

If politics, then he should be taken very seriously as he is the leader of the largest Unionist party in Northern Ireland. If theology then it is up to yourself, his Free Presbtyerian denomination in Northern Ireland are relatively small and hold to more traditional and extreme views of biblical doctrines (ie. the Catholic church).

cheers,
Andy

Upvote 0

Tangnefedd

A Liberal Christian
Feb 10, 2004
✟18,900.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Battle of the Bogside

The Battle of the Bogside, Londonderry, 13 August 1969
By the summer of 1969 the crisis in Northern Ireland had deepened considerably. Terence O'Neill who had sought to open dialogue with Catholics had resigned and been replaced by Major James Chichester-Clark. Unionists, who had ruled Northern Ireland as a one party state since 1921, had no experience of negotiating with the minority Catholic community. Catholic demands for civil rights had not been satisfied and as the loyalist marching season approached sectarian passions were inflamed.

The Orange marching calendar has two big annual events. On 12 July Orangemen commemorate the Battle of the Boyne in 1690 when the Protestant King William defeated the Catholic King James. The other big event is 12 August when Apprentice Boys march in Londonderry to commemorate the Siege of Derry in 1689 when local apprentice boys closed the city's gates against King James' army.

The warm welcome only lasted a few weeks
Tensions between Derry Catholics and the RUC were high in the summer of 1969. The previous month Sammy Devenney had died from injuries he received when RUC officers battered him in his own home. As the 12 August approached there was an expectation that the march would trigger unprecedented violence.

Sectarian clashes occurred as the Apprentice Boys marched past the perimeter of the Catholic Bogside. The RUC intervened and, assisted by a Protestant mob, charged at the nationalists forcing them into William Street. Within hours rioting had escalated into what local priest Fr Mulvey described as a "community in revolt". The police were stoned and petrol bombed as they made their way in riot gear into the Bogside. After two days and nights of continuous rioting the police were exhausted.

On the afternoon of Thursday 14 August the new Prime Minister of Northern Ireland, James Chichester-Clarke, called the British Prime Minister Harold Wilson and asked for troops to be sent to Derry. Unknown to Chichester-Clark troops were already on standby. Just after 4.00pm a company of soldiers from the Prince of Wales Own Regiment relieved the police of their duty. What came to be known as the Battle of the Bogside had ended with direct intervention from Britain in the affairs of Northern Ireland.

Riots erupted in Belfast after the Civil Rights Association called on Catholics to take pressure off the Bogside by stretching police resources. Five Catholics and one Protestant were killed on 14 August. The following day troops were deployed in Belfast to contain the violence but too few in number to have any effect. That night a Protestant mob burnt almost every Catholic house in Bombay Street.

Lieutenant-General Sir Ian Freeland told the press at the time that the honeymoon period between troops and local people was likely to be short-lived. Within months that welcome had turned to violence."

Upvote 0

d0c markus

Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
theFijian said:
Depends if you're talking about his politics or his theology/christianity.

If politics, then he should be taken very seriously as he is the leader of the largest Unionist party in Northern Ireland. If theology then it is up to yourself, his Free Presbtyerian denomination in Northern Ireland are relatively small and hold to more traditional and extreme views of biblical doctrines (ie. the Catholic church).

cheers,
Andy
His politics mostly. I goto his website for his take on the European Unions ties to the Vatican. His website which i cant link to, its called the 'European Institute of Protestant Studies' you can probably find it on google, is anti catholic to the extreme. I read 6 articles about the European Union concerning its function and what not and It doesnt sound like the EU would be a good thing for England to join.

As for his ill-tolerance for catholic's in a way while i could never rise up to that much despisment i have to admire his dedication to avoiding something he finds evil, most people tolerate it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tangnefedd

A Liberal Christian
Feb 10, 2004
✟18,900.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As for his ill-tolerance for catholic's in a way while i could never rise up to that much despisment i have to admire his dedication to avoiding something he finds evil, most people tolerate it.

I don't find anything admirable about that awful man at all. The hatred he has stirred up among protestants for Catholics, and visa versa, has probably caused the loss of many lives.

Upvote 0

Tangnefedd

A Liberal Christian
Feb 10, 2004
✟18,900.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Addaperle said:
He is a very scary man, and I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. He is a danger to any peace in Northern Ireland, imho...

Well said!

It is people like him that are a stumbling block to the peace process. His mouth is like a flame thrower setting alight the tinder of intolerance! :mad:

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
d0c markus said:
His politics mostly. I goto his website for his take on the European Unions ties to the Vatican. His website which i cant link to, its called the 'European Institute of Protestant Studies' you can probably find it on google, is anti catholic to the extreme. I read 6 articles about the European Union concerning its function and what not and It doesnt sound like the EU would be a good thing for England to join.

Dear Doc,
Speaking as an Irish person, and as a former Protestant, I feel it is only fair to tell you that when it comes to Paisley, and men like him, in Northern Ireland, it is nearly impossible to seperate the theology from the politics. In order to understand what Paisley is, you have to understand the history of Northern Ireland. Paisley is a nutcase, albeit a very functioning one, who happens to be a Protestant with extreme views. Not all Protestants in Northern Ireland even agree with his theology much less his politics. Additionally, as time has gone on, more and more people have taken him less seriously than in the past, because violence breaks out everywhere he goes. "By their fruits ye shall know them..." With all due respect to you, suggesting that admiration is due him for his "dedication" is rather like admiring Eichmann for his "tenacity".

Additionally, he is not simply "avoiding something he finds evil". He is actively and loudly promoting violence toward Catholics and all others who do not share his extreme theological and political views. Are you aware that Protestants who do not toe his "party line" (such as myself) are in as much danger from his followers as Catholics? Are you aware that Protestants who befriend Catholics sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with their houses on fire or their children beaten to pulps on the way home from school?

Upvote 0

Tangnefedd

A Liberal Christian
Feb 10, 2004
✟18,900.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Suzannah said:
Dear Doc,
Speaking as an Irish person, and as a former Protestant, I feel it is only fair to tell you that when it comes to Paisley, and men like him, in Northern Ireland, it is nearly impossible to seperate the theology from the politics. In order to understand what Paisley is, you have to understand the history of Northern Ireland. Paisley is a nutcase, albeit a very functioning one, who happens to be a Protestant with extreme views. Not all Protestants in Northern Ireland even agree with his theology much less his politics. Additionally, as time has gone on, more and more people have taken him less seriously than in the past, because violence breaks out everywhere he goes. "By their fruits ye shall know them..." With all due respect to you, suggesting that admiration is due him for his "dedication" is rather like admiring Eichmann for his "tenacity".

Additionally, he is not simply "avoiding something he finds evil". He is actively and loudly promoting violence toward Catholics and all others who do not share his extreme theological and political views. Are you aware that Protestants who do not toe his "party line" (such as myself) are in as much danger from his followers as Catholics? Are you aware that Protestants who befriend Catholics sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with their houses on fire or their children beaten to pulps on the way home from school?

Far from being Christian I think that awful man is the face of evil!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d0c markus

Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Suzannah said:
Dear Doc,

Guys, dont take my comments the wrong way, admiring ones dedication to something is different than supporting it. The dedication itself is not bad, even though his promotions are.

admiration is due him
Never said that. I said:

i have to admire his dedication to avoiding something he finds evil, most people tolerate it.

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
d0c markus said:
Guys, dont take my comments the wrong way, admiring ones dedication to something is different than supporting it. The dedication itself is not bad, even though his promotions are.

Never said that. I said:

i have to admire his dedication to avoiding something he finds evil, most people tolerate it.
You missed the point Doc. He is not avoiding anything. He is in fact, going out of his way to come into violent contact with Catholicism. You seem not to want to face that fact.

Upvote 0

Suzannah

A sinner
Nov 17, 2003
✟15,824.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Let me put it this way. In the the OP you asked for British opinion. You got one from Tangnefedd, which I daresay is pretty well representative of British opinion. The Brits can't stand him either. I gave you an IRISH opinion. I also happen to be a former Protestant. The Irish, even the Protestants cannot stomach this man. What does this tell you??? Americans really need to do their research before contending for anything or anyone, in Ireland, Northern Ireland, Britian or anywhere else. And when you ask for our opinion, it would be nice if you actually took it into account.

Upvote 0