What do you think Christ meant when he said...

ViKtoricus

Mar 2, 2013
✟7,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What do you think Jesus Christ meant when he said "Let your light shine before others."?

I wanna hear your opinions about it, or whether or not you think your opinion is a fact. :)

The way I see it is that Christ meant that each and every individual in the world has a unique, godly purpose. To some, this purpose may involve creating art. To others, this may involve donating to Goodwill.

I believe God has given each of us our own unique purpose. He gave us our talents and inclinations because we were meant to follow them. Christ said to let our light shine before others by letting the world feel our presence, which is accomplished by us fulfilling our purpose.

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
The rest of Messiah's statement explains what He meant.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." He then goes on to explain it in more detail, that these good works are done in obedience to the commandments His Father gave in the Law and the Prophets, and that that to "do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Two kinds of righteousness: Coram Deo and coram homnibus.

Righteousness coram Deo, before God, is only found Jesus Christ. If we are in Christ, we share in his righteousness before God. Everything originating in man is tainted by sin, therefore it is impossible for man to please God by his own works, either before or after being justified by faith in Christ. Only works done from faith in Christ are pleasing to God, and they remain insufficient to gain us any merit or worthiness before God because they are inescapably tainted by our innate sinfulness.

Righteousness coram homnibus, before man, is a different story. Though we can never gain God's favor through good works, we can and should do good works for the benefit of our neighbor. In this way God works through us to bless and serve those around us. We should never think, though, that Christians are the unique source of good works for our neighbor. Ask any Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist or Atheist and they will all agree that doing good works is a good thing, and many religions value sacrificial works and good deeds for the undeserving more highly than ordinary good works.

When we let our light shine before men we do so because it is the right thing to do, and so that we do not shame Jesus Christ in a world of sinners who think that Christianity is all about doing good deeds.

God doesn't need our good works but our neighbor does.

Upvote 0

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you think Jesus Christ meant when he said "Let your light shine before others."?

The context tells you:

Matt 5:16 Even so let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Good works are to bring others to God. When done for selfish reasons they are done to bring glory to one's self. This the Pharisees were experts at.....

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The context tells you:

Matt 5:16 Even so let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Good works are to bring others to God. When done for selfish reasons they are done to bring glory to one's self.
This the Pharisees were experts at.....
QFT! :thumbsup:

Lazarus and the Rich Man - Here a little, there a little - Commentary
JESUS VS THE JUDEAN PHARISEES

1 Peter 2:12 The behavior of ye in the the nations being ideal.
That in which they who are speaking against
ye as evil-doers, out of the ideal works being spectators, they should be glorifying God in day of visitation/inspection.
[
Matt 5:16]

Reve 2:23 And the offspring of
her I shall be killing in death,
and shall be knowing all the Out-Calleds that I am the One searching kidneys/reigns/nefrouV <3510> and hearts
and I shall be giving to ye each according to the works of
ye.
[
Jeremiah 17:10]

Kindgdom Bible Studies Revelation Series

*snip*
The church in Thyatira has a longer message delivered to it from Jesus Christ than any of the seven

Upvote 0