Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Christtheking.jpg

This is the homily given by our Abbot Dom Augustine

I don’t think that for the 21st century American the reality of King has deep significance. Perhaps something was evoked in us recently with the coronation of King Charles of England. At the same time I don’t think using the word ‘President’ is any much better. But we do get the idea that a King is someone who rules, and has much power.

We celebrate Christ the King today. He is the ruler of the universe. The King of the universe. As we approach the end of the liturgical year, this can also perhaps bring up the image of the Pantocrator as well—with its emphasis on judgment and ‘Ruler of all’ which is the meaning of Pantocrator. The Gospel today reflects some of this. Christ in judgment. There are famous paintings that speak to it. We can think of Michaelangelo, Washington DC—these are somewhat severe as we see Christ in Judgement. One that has more significance for me is Fra Angelico’s painting. The wounds of Christ are more evident. This is our King. Pilate—Zeferrelli—is this the one you find so dangerous? This? The one who aspires to be a King? But it is he who went so low is now he who is so high. But with his wounds always with Him. Always, for all eternity. Our King has wounds and deep battle scars.

What did our King conquer? He fled this title on earth as a political leader. What did he conquer: He poured out His life conquering sin, suffering, darkness, and death. In today’s world, things can look so bleak at times. Everything is going on in our world right now. Seems dark. But do we believe that our King has conquered it all? It just doesn’t seem like it at times. Has He been deposed? Has there been a mutiny or coup d’etat in Heaven.

Yet, it is our Faith we must hold on to. It is what has conquered the world as St. Paul tells us. This is our treasure, our gift. This is what our King has given to us as our weapon. That at the end of the day no matter how dark things may seem there is life, light, and hope. But the King depends on his subjects, if I could use this term, subjects who are his friends and brothers and sisters to bring this life, light, and hope to the world. Faith working through love. As we heard in the Gospel. We will be judged by love. We live this Gospel out in many creative ways, especially as monks. Not always literally. In ways we may not even realize not letting our left hand know what our right hand is doing. We just love, don’t make a display about it. Broadcast or talk about it all the time. Just love in simple quiet ordinary ways.

But there is a Kingdom. It is hard to recognize its growth. But it is not here or there but within as we heard a few weeks ago. In the end, in the final day, I believe in His kingdom, the highest places may very well go to the likes of children of Gaza, the butchered Jewish babies of Israel. With their wounds they will fully understand the depth and beauty of the wounds of the King. Christ the King. Amen