What do you think about pi - should it exist?

Do you think pi should exist?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The word for measuring line is usually
1994a.GIF
(q+w), while in 1 Ki 7:23 it's
1994.GIF
(q+w+h). Now establish the numerical value of each word: q+w = 100+6 = 106; q+w+h = 100+6+5 = 111. Divide 111 by 106, multiply by 3 and you get: 3.1415094339622641509433962264151 This was about as accurate as one could expect in this time.
For an omniscient and omnipotent deity, God sure is limited by the knowledge of the time.

Upvote 0

AnimalMother

Veteran
Dec 30, 2007
Kourou / French Guiana
✟21,370.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry, I need to understand the point of this thread.

Did you think that pi shouldn't exist because the bible says that it equals 3, but it actually equals 3.14...
So, if pi was say banned, it would be easier for you to say that the bible is inerrant.

Forget that it is impossible to ban something that just exists.

If I understood the OP right I guess he meant Pi shouldn't exist because it is an irrational number.

What would be more evil then, Pi or the square root of 2?

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
heres a good question; should zero exist? Could the equality of nothing, really exist, anywhere, at anytime with no measurable amount of temporis or space?

I think that pi should exist because it does exist.

I don't know if one can ask if certain mathematical properties should or should not exist as a legitimate question.

Upvote 0

AngelusTenebrae

Oct 4, 2005
Germany
Visit site
✟8,611.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
But if pi is an irrational number, and irrational numbers exist, it should exist. And we know irrational numbers exist, otherwise a right triangle with side lengths 1 and hypotenuse 2^1/2 doesn't exist, since its hypotenuse is an irrational number. Similarly for e, an irrational constant that exists in nature. Actually, those are just examples of irrational numbers that do exist, but they exist because if you were to measure the length of an object, you would be doing so with a continuum of real numbers, and if you assumed that irrational numbers did not exist, the length of an object that you could measure has some holes in it because there are irrational numbers between rational numbers, and the real numbers without the irrational numbers would not be continuous.

The fact that it has an uncountable number of digits does not mean it does not exist; it just means it's impossible to know its last digit, but it is sufficient enough to know the implications of pi, which can be done without knowing its "last" digit.

Upvote 0

phoenixgw

Dec 21, 2006
Sojourner
✟940.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So just how often are you going to keep posting your plagiarized quote here on CF? The least you could do is not pass it off as your own.

While the text regarding the Hebrew knowledge of pi was obtained from the web, I was aware of it before as were others. The poster of this info was passing along info and my transcription wasn't 100% word for word.

This is not an academic forum so anything from the net is considered public domain. I am familiar enough with Biblical Hebrew to read the original text and verify the info; which I did, and passed along the message as a courtesy. I never claimed to be the author of the text nor the discoverer of the Hebrew measurement of pi. I post to provide insight and help others if I can. Your remark and your hostility is contrary to the nature of the forum, which is to help and encourage one another. Your remark does neither, nor does it serve any constructive purpose.

I suggest you go punch a wall if you want to vent, or go to a forum where trolls are welcome. Your anger is a projection of your own self hatred.

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
phoenixgw said:
While the text regarding the Hebrew knowledge of pi was obtained from the web, I was aware of it before as were others. The poster of this info was passing along info and my transcription wasn't 100% word for word.
Certainly your not under the impression that a stolen quote needs to be 100 % identical to its source to be plagiarism. Please say no.
In any case I think it's interesting to look at just how closely your plagiarism is to the original.

ABARIM PUBLICATIONS said.
You said

ithe word for measuring line is usually (q-w), while in 1 Ki 7:23 it's (q-w-h)
The word for measuring line is usually (q+w), while in 1 Ki 7:23 it's (q+w+h).

Now establish the numerical value of each word: q+w = 100+6 = 106; q+w+h = 100+6+5 = 111.
Now establish the numerical value of each word: q+w = 100+6 = 106; q+w+h = 100+6+5 = 111.

Now divide 111 by 106 and multiply the outcome with the 3 for dummies. What do you get:
Now Divide 111 by 106, andmultiply the outcome with tby 3 for dummies what and you get:

3,1415094339622641509433962264151! Hah! Holy is the Lord!
3.1415094339622641509433962264151 This was about as accurate as one could expect in this time.

Sorry to say, changing a few inconsequential words doesn't save you from plagiarism.

This is not an academic forum so anything from the net is considered public domain.
That, my naive friend, is the kind of ignorance that can get you a registered letter from the law firm of Gotcha Now.

I am familiar enough with Biblical Hebrew to read the original text and verify the info; which I did, and passed along the message as a courtesy. I never claimed to be the author of the text nor the discoverer of the Hebrew measurement of pi. I post to provide insight and help others if I can. Your remark and your hostility is contrary to the nature of the forum, which is to help and encourage one another.
That's very admirable, but it doesn't give you permission to plagiarize the works of others. In fact, I don't know of anything that does.

Your remark does neither, nor does it serve any constructive purpose.
Well, aside from not plagiarizing, which in a sense is doing a good you failed to do, I thought it would serve as a heads-up to you and anyone else who may be prone to pass of the works of others as their own. And, I think that's pretty constructive, at least IMO it's more useful than what you posted.

I suggest you go punch a wall if you want to vent, or go to a forum where trolls are welcome.
Read: "Leave me and my nefarious posting ways alone. People with scruples are not wanted here."

Your anger is a projection of your own self hatred.
Everyone: "Kettle, I'd like you to meet pot."

And for those who may be peeking in on this little exchange, believe me, posts on the web are not public domain unless they meet public domain criteria. Phoenix's source does not. BUT, even if it did, using the works of others without acknowledgment still amounts to plagiarism. Ask any 11th grade school kid who got caught passing off the work of some ancient author as his own. Smack on the hand with a wooden ruler for you, phoenixgw.

Oh yes, HERE is your source, which you again "neglected" to provide.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums