What do you hate about anime?

ThePhoenix

Aug 12, 2003
✟5,476.00
Faith
Christian
SAint Mark said:
I thought the TV ending much worse... soooooo boring :D. Compared to it the movie ending almost made sense. Still, they left WAY too many things unexplained but the movie ending had potential to become a really well made ending... and then it totally derailed...
Do I have your permission to use this as a direct quote whenever anyone discusses Eva?

Upvote 0
Well, iam an anime fan, but only of certain ones.
I like Pokemon, Beyblade, SailorMoon, Tenchi and some Dragonball Z.

But i don't like the more serious ones, or the ones that go against my conscience. For instance, i watched Princess Mononoke thinking it was another harmless anime, just to find out that it mentioned gods in every other sentence. I found that a bit disturbing, being a Christian.

Basically what iam saying is, i like a lot of anime, but i dislike it when they have to include some kind of "god" or harmful moral side effect.

This is one of the reasons why i like Pokemon a lot. It is about friendships, working together and doing whats right. It also has many helpful morals, one of my favs being:

"I see now, that the circumstances of ones birth, are irrelevent.
It is what you do with the gift of life, that determines who you are."
-By Mewtwo

Of course these are all just my opinions. ;)

Upvote 0

PistGurl

aahhh.....I love her>
Dec 30, 2003
Sheffield
✟519.00
Faith
Pagan
just another little random rambling by your resident wierdo!!!

I hated blue submarine 6 cos the credits came on half way through...which is what a few anime films do, but not as big as this one...I thought it was actually going off!!

Stupid credits!

Also, the end was really confusing, cos it seemed to me that everyone just decided to cry and forget to fight!

Upvote 0

alliedone

Animeone
Feb 6, 2004
✟283.00
Faith
Christian
Like others have said before on the topic, the things about anime that I really don't like are the fanservice and the glorifying homosexuality. The other thing I've noticed as well with anime [but it's changed recently] is the fact that although the really pretty characters are portrayed as "caucasian" [the bad ones have the really, really slanted eyes] I've noticed that when they have black characters, they would make them really ugly with big lips and big nose [I'll give you Slam Dunk's player as a good example. The woman in Crying Freeman is another that comes to mind] :confused:

Now times have changed [you can see that in Cowboy bebop, Please save my earth, Jungle wa istumo hale guu] and that's good, but I often wondered about it. :sigh:

Upvote 0

ozanaki tori

rebel sodville
Feb 9, 2004
Utah
Visit site
✟7,980.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
There are a few things I really hate about anime. Most of them are fan-based.

one thing I hate is "i love anime!"
There are a few shows I really love, but come on - I love the X-files too. I don'tlove the X-files because they were filmed in Canada or because they're live action. I love the X-files because the show had substance and was a great show.

I fluctuate between hating and loving Anime. I only have a few that I actually love (Naruto, FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, in that order). I only have a few TV shows that I actually love.

So the thing I hate about anime are the fans who scarf up whatever their otaku buddies tell them about.

I also really hate the thin, sparkly, large eyed, 1980s-feeling scrappy anime that is usually for girls. I like my characters with a nice thick CGI feel (example: Naruto, FLCL, Cowboy bebop), as opposed to the look of the older Gundams, or the girly animes that I never cared to find the names of.

Thing I hate most about anime: Really corny anime.

Upvote 0

ozanaki tori

rebel sodville
Feb 9, 2004
Utah
Visit site
✟7,980.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
allie: anime is extreme in the characature of features. that is the main reason for such things.
Also, look at it from the point of view of the japanese: their features are all generally small, whereas most africans do have rather large nostrils and lips. Imagine how you would see them in your head if you were Japanese.

In a way, I rather like the larger-featured black peoples of Anime as opposed to the "i look like kakakare himihoshi but i have brown skin" of older anime.

Also, something I hate that appears in anime a lot is the drawn out narrative between characters who would, in the real world, be killing each other.

I've found this flaw in DBZ and Naruto, and a few other anime. I guess it's the medium of story telling, but it seems that everytime someone's fixing to die, they reveal a new super-move and you wonder "why didn't they do that in the last saga when they were about to die?"
Then everyone stands around twitching and going 'ungggh...he...did it...unggg.'

Upvote 0

ozanaki tori

rebel sodville
Feb 9, 2004
Utah
Visit site
✟7,980.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
wow, one more post:

Well, iam an anime fan, but only of certain ones.
I like Pokemon, Beyblade, SailorMoon, Tenchi and some Dragonball Z.

But i don't like the more serious ones, or the ones that go against my conscience. For instance, i watched Princess Mononoke thinking it was another harmless anime, just to find out that it mentioned gods in every other sentence. I found that a bit disturbing, being a Christian.

Basically what iam saying is, i like a lot of anime, but i dislike it when they have to include some kind of "god" or harmful moral side effect.

This really bothered me.
SailorMoon is full of mythology and spirituality, not to mention two of the main characters are in a lesbian relationship. Pokemon..most of the monsters are based on Japanese mythology. Tenchi is based on Japanese mythology and god-like spirituality, and Dragonball Z is nothing but violence and is further based on spirituality and gods.

I really liked Princess Mononoke..

Upvote 0

MissFirerose

will work for cookies
Sep 2, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟1,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
ozanaki tori said:
This really bothered me.
SailorMoon is full of mythology and spirituality, not to mention two of the main characters are in a lesbian relationship.
The morals of BSSM, especially Usagi's morals in particular, are along the lines of what Jesus Christ taught. Sometimes things can have Christian themes without the label, and the fact that there is a lesbian couple is as relevant as the fact that the series also has straight couples.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ozanaki tori

rebel sodville
Feb 9, 2004
Utah
Visit site
✟7,980.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I think you've posted in the wrong thread. This isn't the thread about christian-ish anime.
My post was aimed toward someone who said that they stayed away from anime that had "god" elements or other spiritually harmful things, yet named 3 anime that all had "god" elements.

Even then, and off topic, if moral ethics make someone christ-like then most every main-stream moral epic would be the story of Christ.

Upvote 0

MissFirerose

will work for cookies
Sep 2, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟1,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
ozanaki tori said:
I think you've posted in the wrong thread. This isn't the thread about christian-ish anime.
My post was aimed toward someone who said that they stayed away from anime that had "god" elements or other spiritually harmful things, yet named 3 anime that all had "god" elements.

Even then, and off topic, if moral ethics make someone christ-like then most every main-stream moral epic would be the story of Christ.
Yeah I talked about that in another thread. Christianity inclues some good themes, but good themes do not have to include Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

alliedone

Animeone
Feb 6, 2004
✟283.00
Faith
Christian
ozanaki tori said:
allie: anime is extreme in the characature of features. that is the main reason for such things.
Also, look at it from the point of view of the japanese: their features are all generally small, whereas most africans do have rather large nostrils and lips. Imagine how you would see them in your head if you were Japanese.

Hi :wave:
Although I would agree with you based on that fact if the Japanese had made their characters the same way, since they have small eyes, their Japanese characters do not support this unless it's a serious anime. Like I had said before, they have changed. Please Save My Earth is a good example. All the characters are very pretty no matter what the colour of their skin is. Magical Knight Rayearth is the same as well [although those girls are Indian, I believe]

But anyway, it's changing and for the better. :clap: Now they need to work on the girls with the enormous breast sizes. I haven't really met that many 16 year olds with d+ cup brasts. :scratch: :sorry:

Upvote 0

alliedone

Animeone
Feb 6, 2004
✟283.00
Faith
Christian
ozanaki tori said:
Partially true. The japanese change their features to be more western and, as they reckon it, attractive (such as the eyes).

Actually I saw a documentary on this with the "why are their eyes so big?" The artists state that the bigger the eyes, the more gentle the character is [or appears] to be. When they make the babies, they draw the eyes very large and as they get older, they make them smaller, but they are still big. A good example would be Akachan to boku. Where as the evil characters had really slanty eyes.

It doesn't really matter to me, I like how they detail the anime character [and scenes] compared to the west. :wave:

Upvote 0