Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I see you're moving the goalpost about what my answers can be. No point in continuing to please someone who decides for others what to say.
Smollett didn't abuse any law to get sympathy, he abused human nature.

Your original claim was that the laws are "used and abused" to gain "preferential treatment" not sympathy. I'll ask again, what preferential treatment did he get that anyone else that was a victim of an attack as he described would not get?

Get back to me when you have an example. I won't hold my breath.

Now you want me to tell you exactly who would have paid the price?
Of course not. Way to move my goalposts for me.

If he was believed, the police would have been continuing to investigate and would have arrested whoever they thought might have been the alleged perpetrator.
Or they would never have arrested anyone because there was no perpetrator.

Good thing cameras were present.
(Here's the point where you can accuse me of moving goalposts because I didn't give you an exact person's name).
No, I'm telling you that since there was no attack there was no one to pay the price.

You're the one shifting the goalposts, so the burden becomes yours.
First off, shifting the goalposts doesn't put the burden of proof on the other person, it changes the standard of proof required.

Second, I haven't moved any goalposts. I'm still waiting for the same thing I originally asked for, evidence supporting your claim that hate crime laws are "used and abused" to gain "preferential treatment".

Get back to me when you have some. I'll be waiting.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did you know that EVERY GOP member of Congress and the Senate voted against the CRA in 1964?

I don't think that's true. If I recall, the votes actually corresponded more along north/south lines in both parties than actual party lines.

• Agree
Reactions: Queller
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Any Democrat who blames republicans for slavery is ignorant of history.

However, the Southern Democrats who supported Jim Crow did join the Republican Party in the wake of civil rights as part of the southern strategy. That is history you can’t ignore.

More correctly, their children did. Those old Dixiecrats would mostly not actually change their party registration to the despised "Party of Lincoln," although they did vote for whoever had the most socially repressive policy. They died as registered Democrats mostly did through the 90s. Their children registered as Republicans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JacobKStarkey

Jan 3, 2019
Houston, Texas
✟40,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I am not going back to look, RDKirk. But that statement of mine immediately above is not right.

It should read EVERY southern GOP member of Congress and the Senate.

Additionally, the Dems of the North and the West had a higher voting % for the CR Act than the GOP of the North and South.

Thank you very much for pointing out my initial error in leaving out "southern."

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
History is history, and they were oppressed by the democrats. Now they're exploited by the democrats.

We have been oppressed by social conservatives, always.

As the two major parties spent most of the 20th century making a languid flip-flop between the poles of social politics, we were always noting on a politician-by-politician basis who was socially conservative and who was socially liberal despite his registered party. We always supported the socially liberal politician.

• Agree
Reactions: JacobKStarkey
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Or they would never have arrested anyone because there was no perpetrator.

No, I'm telling you that since there was no attack there was no one to pay the price.

Sounds as if you've never heard of people being arrested for something they didn't do simply because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Sounds as if you've never heard of people being arrested for something they didn't do simply because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I'm still waiting for the same thing I originally asked for, evidence supporting your claim that hate crime laws are "used and abused" to gain "preferential treatment".

• Agree
Reactions: JacobKStarkey
Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
More correctly, their children did. Those old Dixiecrats would mostly not actually change their party registration to the despised "Party of Lincoln," although they did vote for whoever had the most socially repressive policy. They died as registered Democrats mostly did through the 90s. Their children registered as Republicans.
Two of the biggest, most influential Dixiecrats, Strom Thrumond and Jesse Helms definitely switched parties.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Two of the biggest, most influential Dixiecrats, Strom Thrumond and Jesse Helms definitely switched parties.

Yes, they did, which is why I said "mostly" instead of "all."

If you examine the totals for party registrations over the years, you see switchover is very gradual, and most southern Democrat politicians in office in 1964 did not change. They just died.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm still waiting for the same thing I originally asked for, evidence supporting your claim that hate crime laws are "used and abused" to gain "preferential treatment".

I'm glad to hear it.

Upvote 0

JacobKStarkey

Jan 3, 2019
Houston, Texas
✟40,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Please offer solid evidence for "and most politicians did not change. They just died.", RDKirk.

If you lived in the South from 1968 to 1988, you would know many, many Dem leaders became Republicans.

Governor Perry was just one.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please offer solid evidence for "and most politicians did not change. They just died.", RDKirk.

If you lived in the South from 1968 to 1988, you would know many, many Dem leaders became Republicans.

As I said, study the registration numbers. I used to think there were masses of Democrats that just flipped Republican, but the numbers don't show a sudden flip.

Which Perry was in office in 1964?

Upvote 0

JacobKStarkey

Jan 3, 2019
Houston, Texas
✟40,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
No one said a "sudden flip." The change came over a twenty year era.

The question about Perry is irrelevant re: 1964. The right wing tactic in arguing the Southern Strategy is that someone somewhere in the multiverse argued that the southern Dems became southern GOP over night. That is false. There is no substantiation for that argument.

However, we read, in order to answer your questions, "In 1984, Perry was elected to the Texas House of Representatives as a Democrat from district 64, which included his home county of Haskell. He served on the House Appropriations and Calendars committees during his three two-year terms in office. He befriended fellow freshman state representative Lena Guerrero, a staunch liberal Democrat who endorsed Perry's reelection bid in 2006. . . . . In 1987, Perry voted for a $5.7 billion tax increase proposed by Republican governor Bill Clements.[19] Perry supported Al Gore in the 1988 Democratic presidential primaries and worked for Gore's campaign in Texas.[20] On September 29, 1989, Perry announced that he was switching parties, becoming a Republican.[21]

Rick Perry - Wikipedia

• Winner
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,436.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No one said a "sudden flip." The change came over a twenty year era.

The question about Perry is irrelevant re: 1964. The right wing tactic in arguing the Southern Strategy is that someone somewhere in the multiverse argued that the southern Dems became southern GOP over night. That is false. There is no substantiation for that argument.

However, we read, in order to answer your questions, "In 1984, Perry was elected to the Texas House of Representatives as a Democrat from district 64, which included his home county of Haskell. He served on the House Appropriations and Calendars committees during his three two-year terms in office. He befriended fellow freshman state representative Lena Guerrero, a staunch liberal Democrat who endorsed Perry's reelection bid in 2006. . . . . In 1987, Perry voted for a $5.7 billion tax increase proposed by Republican governor Bill Clements.[19] Perry supported Al Gore in the 1988 Democratic presidential primaries and worked for Gore's campaign in Texas.[20] On September 29, 1989, Perry announced that he was switching parties, becoming a Republican.[21]

Rick Perry - Wikipedia

I said:

most southern Democrat politicians in office in 1964 did not change.

You haven't offered anything in dispute of that.

Yes, the change occurred a 20+ year period. Perry's father died a Democrat; his son became a Republican.

As I said.

Upvote 0

JacobKStarkey

Jan 3, 2019
Houston, Texas
✟40,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
You have not shown the evidence for the statement of "most southern Democrat politicians in office in 1964 did not change", and if it is true, you have not shown why that is important.

The fact is that southern democrats converted to southern republicans over a twenty year period.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

IOW, the dems of the time of when dems were of the party that originally supported slavery and Jim Crow laws became dems in Republican disguise. But changing parties doesn't change the person.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The news media loves and so do a lot of Democrats. But why? She recently cost NY $24.5 billion in tax revenue and 143,000 jobs over 10 years as her and others got Amazon to scuttle plans for HQ2 in Long Island City.

Her Green Deal is a joke that would cost $53-93 trillion over 10 years.

She's basically a 15 watt bulb in a socket that requires 100 watts.

Why is the news media making such a big deal over her? I don't get it.

The news media seem to like those on the Left (especially AOC) who are feisty.
Here's what she has to say about the NGD:
“You know what? I don’t care anymore. I don’t care anymore, because again, I’m at least trying, and they’re not,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “So the power is in the person who’s trying, regardless of the success. If you’re trying, you’ve got all the power, you’re driving the agenda, you’re doing all this stuff.”

“Like I just introduced Green New Deal two weeks ago and it’s created, creating all of this conversation. Why? Because no one else has even tried,” she claimed. “So people are like ‘oh it’s unrealistic, oh it’s vague, oh it doesn’t address this little, minute thing.’ And I’m like you try, you do it.”

“So until you do it, I’m the boss!” she declared. “How about that?!”

AOC Tells Critics of her GND, "I'm the Boss"

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I'm glad to hear it.
So I take it your claim that hate crime laws are "used and abused" to gain "preferential treatment" based on nothing more than your imagination?

Let me know when you have some evidence for your claim. I won't be holding my breath.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.