PANAMA CITY
✟42,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The news media loves and so do a lot of Democrats. But why? She recently cost NY $24.5 billion in tax revenue and 143,000 jobs over 10 years as her and others got Amazon to scuttle plans for HQ2 in Long Island City.

Her Green Deal is a joke that would cost $53-93 trillion over 10 years.

She's basically a 15 watt bulb in a socket that requires 100 watts.

Why is the news media making such a big deal over her? I don't get it.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

JacobKStarkey

Jan 3, 2019
Houston, Texas
✟40,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
More than 70% of those jobs would have gone to non-New Yorkers.

The infrastructure and other components of the move would have cost the NY tax payer more than the supposed gain, probably much more.

The 'green deal' is a shibboleth of the far right whose definitions do not match the reality.

AOC is the incandescent bat signal in the sky that change is coming with or without conservative input.

Conservatives must look inside themselves as to why they don't get it.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The conservative media spends far more time on AOC than the liberal media.
That's probably true.

However, it is also true that the Democratic Party leaders, both inside and outside of Congress, have put her on some sort of pedestal in a way that is virtually unheard of for a newly-elected Congressperson still in her 20s.

They have welcomed her extremist political proposals and demands, never criticizing her "loose cannon" style, and also talking as though everything she is...is what the party needs for the future.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
However, it is also true that the Democratic Party leaders, both inside and outside of Congress, have put her on some sort of pedestal in a way that is virtually unheard of for a newly-elected Congressperson still in her 20s.
Agree.
They have welcomed her extremist political proposals and demands, never criticizing her "loose cannon" style, and also talking as though everything she is...is what the party needs for the future.
or said another way, She's a young, charismatic idealist who's ideas need to be debated, scrutinized and evaluated.

and as an aside "loose cannon" would be a compliment to some of our elected leaders.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Agree.

or said another way, She's a young, charismatic idealist who's ideas need to be debated, scrutinized and evaluated.

How do you figure? Usually, when anyone comes forth with an unworkable, poorly-thought out, unjust political scheme that would, if implemented, bankrupt the country, it does NOT get a polite examination. Instead, it is dismissed in no uncertain terms by responsible public figures from both parties.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
How do you figure? Usually, when anyone comes forth with an unworkable, poorly-thought out, unjust political scheme that would, if implemented, bankrupt the country, it does NOT get a polite examination. Instead, it is dismissed in no uncertain terms by responsible public figures from both parties.
I have not studied the Green New Deal in depth. However, one of the items is a shift from fossil fuels to renewable energy. With or without the debate on Global Warming, I tend to see that as a worthy ideal worthy of debate. I would like to see a gradual shift from taxpayers subsidizing the fossil fuel industry to cleaner energy sources with no reliance on the middle east. Cortez is young, charasmatic, idealistic and as you say somewhat of a loose cannon - but that doesn't mean everything she says should be dismissed (nor accepted).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have not studied the Green New Deal in depth. However, one of the items is a shift from fossil fuels to renewable energy. With or without the debate on Global Warming, I tend to see that as a worthy ideal worthy of debate.
Well, if you study the Green New Deal and also take in the explanations and assessments made of it by all sorts of people, it is the specifics that are nuts. And without those specifics, there is no Green New Deal.

The idea of us being more ecologically aware, etc. isn't the issue.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
The news media loves and so do a lot of Democrats. But why? She recently cost NY $24.5 billion in tax revenue and 143,000 jobs over 10 years as her and others got Amazon to scuttle plans for HQ2 in Long Island City.

Her Green Deal is a joke that would cost $53-93 trillion over 10 years.

She's basically a 15 watt bulb in a socket that requires 100 watts.

Why is the news media making such a big deal over her? I don't get it.
new_york_14th_district.gif

I seriously doubt that the opposition of one 29 year old first year Representative was the deciding factor in Amazon changing its plans!

AOC represents the 14th Congressional District which includes part of the eastern Bronx and north-central Queens, not Long Island - there are 28 other congressional districts in NYC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
That's probably true.

How have they placed her on a pedestal? I don’t see that at all. The only proposal she has had, really, is the Green New Deal. And, this is a resolution, not a bill. It’s earlier versions may have been sketchy, but in its final form it is really just a litany of progressive ideals as they relate to climate and the environment. Nobody really thinks that it will all be achieved any time soon.

Conservatives, on the other hand, can’t seem to stop talking about her. Every time she says anything it gets plastered all over conservative media - no wonder you all think Dems idolize her - that seems to be the story line the conservative outlets are peddling.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
If I were an American I would likely be a Democrat. AOC is young, idealistic and, at this point, quite naïve. All this will change with time and experience. I find the idealism in her wish list refreshing and I don't think that any Democrat politician regards it as anything more than a wish list.

Upvote 0

JacobKStarkey

Jan 3, 2019
Houston, Texas
✟40,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
AOC is on no pedestal.

Her question in committee hearings are well placed and very damaging to the GOP.

Her Green Deal will be subject to much modification.

The GOP are very afraid of her. It should be.

• Agree
Reactions: EpiscipalMe
Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I made a couple of quick references to that matter in my post #8.

And, as I said in my post, the only proposal of her’s that Dems have embraced is the Green New Deal which isn’t what conservatives portray it to be (as I said in my post).

Everything else in your post is conservative spin that most Dems don’t actually feel regarding AOC.

Conservatives fear AOC.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.