Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I may have lost track of that conversation, if it's ongoing in TT? I should remember to have a look. Thanks for the reminder. :)
Actually, we decided to make it an email discussion (you know how discussions like these often end up going around here ;)). Sorry about that!

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Individual “Christians” may choose to deny the doctrine of the Trinity, but there is no church or denomination existing within the pale of Christian orthodoxy that does (e.g
EOC, OCC, RCC, Protestants, Lutherans, Baptists, etc.).

I don't know if I would call them "within the pale of Christian orthodoxy" -- but United Pentecostal Church; AS A DENOMINATION -- denies doctrine of Trinity.
There is one within a hundred feet of my apartment. I went to two services there, the pastor gave me a book on their beliefs, and I kind of flipped when I saw their non-Trinitarian stance. I think they are sometimes called "Oneness Peentecostals"

Definitely OUT OF THE STREAM to me...

Butthey are Christians.

Last edited:
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if I would call them "within the pale of Christian orthodoxy" -- but United Pentecostal Church; AS A DENOMINATION -- denies doctrine of Trinity.
There is one within a hundred feet of my apartment. I went to two services there, the pastor gave me a book on their beliefs, and I kind flipped when I saw their non-Trinitarian stance. I think they are sometimes called "Oneness Peentecostals"

Definitely OUT OF THE STREAM to me...
They consider themselves to be Christians, of course, but the World Council of Churches, which is FAR more liberal about the idea of who is and who is not a true Christian church disagrees, and in this case I certainly agree with them. If the Oneness are Christians, they are certainly not orthodox in some of their beliefs.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
StWorm2 -- the Catechism in THE BOOK OF COMMON PRAYER (Episcopal) is also very thorough, and one of the few places in Protestantism where prayer for the dead is affirmed...

Generally, I find Question and Answer catechisms very good,
whether Catholic, Reformed, Anglican or whatever
Interesting! Thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to check it out :)

Likewise, I believe our Lutheran friends often hold to the perpetual virginity of Mary (though I do not believe it is considered to be dogma within any of their fellowships these days .. IOW, I believe individual Lutherans are free to believe as the Lord leads them concerning that particular doctrine, unlike our Roman Catholic friends where it is considered official dogma).

For me, while I was not surprised about the differences that I found in the CCC when I first read it, I was surprised at how much I/we (Protestants) hold in common with the RCC (and the EOC for that matter). It's sad that we so seldom discuss those things around here, but (I suppose) where's the fun in that since these are, after all, "debate" boards ;)

--David

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,094.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Individual “Christians” may choose to deny the doctrine of the Trinity, but there is no church or denomination existing within the pale of Christian orthodoxy that does (e.g
EOC, OCC, RCC, Protestants, Lutherans, Baptists, etc.).

Jehovah’s Witness don’t believe in the Trinity but they are considered a Christian religion. They believe Jesus was a god created by The Father.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Jehovah’s Witness don’t believe in the Trinity but they are considered a Christian religion. They believe Jesus was a god created by The Father.
Sadly, a church that believes/teaches that Jesus is a "created" being, and/or simply one of many "gods"/or a lessor god of some sort, is the very definition of a cult that is not Christian :preach: (I say "sadly" because I have family members who are JW, and most of the others I've met, most often on my doorstep, while deceived, always seem like nice, genuine, & committed people).

In Christ,
David

Isaiah 43
10 "You are My witnesses", declares the Lord,
"and My servant whom I have chosen,
in order that you may know and believe Me,
and understand that I am He.
Before me there was no God formed,
and there will be none after Me
."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Actually, we decided to make it an email discussion (you know how discussions like these often end up going around here ;)). Sorry about that!
Ah, that's too bad.

TT is not supposed to go the way of some of the debate forums.

But it's true that people sometimes push debate in non-debate areas and require staff action to remedy.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is the intention of this conversation to observe what Christian groups already believe and make a list of already-existing similarities, or to seek to establish a standard by which to consider a group as Christian or not?

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think, Knee, it is not to "establish a standard" - and I am glad the thread continues after the cleanup

I submit that what we all agree on is a "joy unspeakable" that cannot really be put into words.

I have always been bothered by the ending to the hymn IN THE GARDEN

"And the joy we share as we tarry there
none other has ever known"

No -- it IS a shared jpy even if we cannot adequately explain it

We agree that we share a joy beyond explanation

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Protestantismvsthebible

Jun 29, 2018
Dallas
✟5,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What do Christians agree on?

The things all Christians have in common:
  1. Believe Nicene Creed
  2. Accept the canon of scripture (with minor variations)
  3. Believe the Trinity
  4. The Bible is the inspired, inerrant, infallible word of God
  5. Believe there are spiritual beings both good and bad
  6. Believe sin separates us from God and that Jesus was incarnated, died, and was resurrected to provide a way for us to restore our fellowship with God.
Am I missing anything?
All Christians must agree on all Christian doctrine according to the bible
Philippians 1:27
Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;
Yes I see the divide quite often on abortion threads. There is an underlying view out there that someone can be pro life themselves but not “judge” someone who decides to get an abortion. The view is “who am I to judge.” I think that attitude is coming from Francis I.

• Agree
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yes I see the divide quite often on abortion threads. There is an underlying view out there that someone can be pro life themselves but not “judge” someone who decides to get an abortion. The view is “who am I to judge.” I think that attitude is coming from Francis I.

Pope Francis definitely has promoted that attitude, so have many “Protestant” ministers and leaders, such as Billy Graham and Joel Osteen.

Unfortunately Biblical discernment has been increasingly frowned upon and sound doctrine seen as no longer necessary or important. The message now is more and more one of “let’s just put aside all our doctrine and come together in love.”

Biblical discernment is less and less acceptable in the Church.

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Unworthy servant for the Worthy Lord + Savior
Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That is a prayer, not a requirement for salvation, and one spirit, with one mind does not mean comprehensive doctrinal unity, which has ever been a goal not realized. Including in your own church.

Sometimes the best even a pope could do is call a truce btwn warring camps.

And then there is the manifest affirmation by Rome of even publicly know Ted Kennedy-type RCs as members in life and in death (which serves to evidence what she partly really believes and effectually tteaches). And whose members testify to disagreement with what their church officially (at least on paper) <a href="http://www.peacebyjesus.com/RC-Stats_vs._Evang.html#TOC ">professes more than evangelical types on basic beliefs </a>.

Under the exceedingly manifest Scriptural men of God the apostles, who held Scripture as the sure supreme transcendent standard, the church did see the greatest quality of unity:

And they continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles. And all that believed were together, and had all things common; (Acts 2:42-44)

But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses, In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings; By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned, By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, (2 Corinthians 6:4-7)

But which I see the lack of in leadership (nor do I claim to compare), and if not for the unchanging Scriptures which the prima NT church left us, all would follow leadership when it goes South, or abandon ship.

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Unworthy servant for the Worthy Lord + Savior
Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What do Christians agree on?

The things all Christians have in common:
  1. Believe Nicene Creed
  2. Accept the canon of scripture (with minor variations)
  3. Believe the Trinity
  4. The Bible is the inspired, inerrant, infallible word of God
  5. Believe there are spiritual beings both good and bad
  6. Believe sin separates us from God and that Jesus was incarnated, died, and was resurrected to provide a way for us to restore our fellowship with God.
Am I missing anything?
Sure, multitudes. For one, you can even ask member if they believe that the Nicene statement on baptism for the remission of sins "may be interpreted as baptism is a matter of obedience and not a requirement for salvation or as a regenerating ordinance."

And then ask traditional RCs if devout ex-Catholic evangelicals who believe the CF statement of faith but deny Catholic distinctives (which are not manifest in the only wholly inspired substantive authoritative record of what the NT church believed, and including how they understood the OT and gospels).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums