What did Jesus wear?

BenTsion

Yeshua Worshipper
Nov 20, 2003
✟7,869.00
Faith
Messianic
Depends on what you call relevant. As far as religion is concerned, I think the only thing worth mentioning is that Yeshua wore tzit-tzit on the border of his clothes, which is commanded by the Torah (it was a symbol that the Israelites were taking upon themselves the Laws of G-d).

In Messiah,
Ben Tsion

Upvote 0

P_G

Pastor - ד ע ה - The Lunch Lady
Dec 13, 2003
North East Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟13,348.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
It has always been my contention that Y'shua wore a tallit openly and that this may have been more the custom in that His day that we suspect.

Joh 19:23 Then when they crucified Jesus, the soldiers took His garments and made four parts, a part to each soldier, also the tunic. And the tunic was seamless, woven from the top throughout.

If you were Europian and not really knowing what a tallit was how would you describe it? A tunic or wrap?

Anyone who has ever priced a large seamless Tallit knows they are very valuble even today and I think that it was no different then.

As for tzitzit I think that is very obvious in this scripture

Mat 9:20 And behold, a woman who had a flow of blood for twelve years came near behind Him, and touched the fringe of His robe.

This is an adequate description of a tzitzit. So I think it becomes obvious that the style of clothing was different at that time than now but that our Lord had surely kept that mitzphot.

Now as for his wearing a kippot I don't see anything in scripture that says that He did or did not. Nor anyone else really. This does not mean that it was not customary nor that it was mearly that the Bible is silent on the issue. Personally I beleive that the style was somewhat different than what we see today. Also Shuals teaching about the propriety in a worship service tends to support that:

1Co 11:7 For truly a man ought not to have the head covered, being the image and glory of God. But woman is the glory of man;

So this may indicate that the covering of a mans head was not done in that time. Thus no kippot. This letter was to this church in regards to innapropriate style of worship there so thus covering your head would be considered innapropriate in the predenominational church.

Blessings

Pastor George :wave:

Upvote 0

The Thadman

Jul 3, 2002
✟2,318.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
simchat_torah said:
He most likely also wore Tefillin and a Kippah.

He probably didn't wear a kippah, as kippot were later inventions of rabbinic tradition, far after Jesus' time. Tefillin were something the Saducees invented (some say 1500 years after the Torah was given to Moses, other say much longer), and not all Jewish sects had adopted them until well after the fall of the temple in 70 (to this day, many sects still do not interpret Exodus 13:9 that way). Jesus commented against how the Chief Priests made theirs honkin' huge in Matthew, yet never talked of them anywhere else (which makes me tend to believe that he didn't think highly of them). He most definitely wore tzitziyot, as the woman with the blood flow reached out and touched them and was healed, and what he wore them on was probably a Tallit, as they were still in style (John the Baptist had one made of Camels' hair, a material that keeps you cool during the day, warm at night, and breathes). He wore sandals, probably Greco-Roman in style, as they were cheap and produced throughout the Roman Empire.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Shlomo,
-Steve-o

Upvote 0

The Thadman

Jul 3, 2002
✟2,318.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nehemiah_Center said:
It has always been my contention that Y'shua wore a tallit openly and that this may have been more the custom in that His day that we suspect.

Joh 19:23 Then when they crucified Jesus, the soldiers took His garments and made four parts, a part to each soldier, also the tunic. And the tunic was seamless, woven from the top throughout.

If you were Europian and not really knowing what a tallit was how would you describe it? A tunic or wrap?

His "garments" were probably his Tallit and sandals, but the Tunic would probably have been akin to a fisherman's tunic, a long single-knit garment that goes down to the knees, tied with a belt. When one was doing work in the hot sun, they'd pull the bottom of the tunic up through their legs and tuck it into their belt, so not to let it get in the way.

Shlomo,
-Steve-o

Upvote 0

P_G

Dec 13, 2003
North East Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟13,348.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
The Thadman said:
Jesus commented against how the Chief Priests made theirs honkin' huge in Matthew,

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Shlomo,
-Steve-o
I want to make sure that I get a good Aramaic translation on this Shlomo

Mat 23:5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make honkin huge their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,

Is that about right?

Upvote 0

P_G

Dec 13, 2003
North East Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟13,348.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
The Thadman said:
It was a paraphrase on my part, not to be taken as litteral scripture :) Sorry for the confusion.

Shlomo,
-Steve-o
Buuuuuuut Steeeeeeve

You are our mavin of all things Aramaic
I have crossed out all my translations and put in "Honkin' Huge"
Now you tell me it's a paraphrase?

No wonder everyone laughed at me when I read that from the pulpit! :D

A Honkin Huge Blessing on you my brother!

PS I am going to try to use the phrase Honkin Huge at least every day
umm for Lent! There ya go!

I love it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Kippah is a late rabbinic addition. He most likely covered His head with a tallit.
Hats were a late rabbinic tradition being added circa 1500 ce. However, the Talmud has many many references to the Kippah, so the tradition at least finds its origins to the first or second century. However we also see a few references to the Kippah in pre-Mishnaic writing as well, and many speculate the Kippah was adopted in part in Jeremiah's day from a previous unknown tradition.

Covering one's head was not in relation to the mitzvah for the Tzitzit. They have been combined since the invention of the Tallit, but remember, the Tallit is a very modern creation.

He probably didn't wear a kippah, as kippot were later inventions of rabbinic tradition, far after Jesus' time. Tefillin were something the Saducees invented (some say 1500 years after the Torah was given to Moses, other say much longer), and not all Jewish sects had adopted them until well after the fall of the temple in 70 (to this day, many sects still do not interpret Exodus 13:9 that way).

An excerpt from Rabbi Edward Levi Nydle :
Moshe Rabainu is one of our examples in the Torah.In Shemot 3:4-5, Yahweh commanded him to remove his shoes as he was on set-apart ground. Moshe being a shepherd in the desert of Midian surely wore some type of covering over his head to protect him from the blistering sun and heat, yet Yahweh NEVER commanded him to remove any head covering in His presence.

After the Exodus from Egypt Yahweh told Moshe to set-apart the first-born as Kohenim (priests) to Him (Ex.13: 1-2,19:3-24,24:4-8). This changed after the "golden calf" incident and Yahweh chose the sons of Lewi to be the Kohenim as the "First-born" had sinned against him. They disqualified themselves from the office of Kohen by idol worship. Yahweh commanded them to REMOVE the "ornaments" from them by Mt.Horev. This word is ‘adiy or finery, trappings, headstall or headpiece. By stripping them of their "headpieces" Yahweh removed them from their office as Kohenim. The "glory, honor, and splendour"was removed from them and given to the tribe of Lewi.The Aaronic or Levitcal priesthood was commissioned to minister directly to Yahweh in the Mishkan (Tabernacle) Shemot 28:1;Bemidbar 8:16.
and two more references from the same article:
Turbans or Bonnets
Shemot 29:9 and 39:28 uses the word turban or bonnet as a part of the commanded garments of the Kohen.
TURBAN-#4021; migba’ah: from #1389 a CAP (as a hemispherical) bonnet. The HEMI-means half, SPHERE means globe, ball, round. Hence the migba’ah was shaped as a half a ball. It comes from #1389 –gib’ah meaning a hillock, hill, little hill.
Now #1389 comes from #1387 –Geba’ which comes from #1375-GeBiYa’ an unused root meaning to be convexed, a goblet, the calyx of a flower, cup, pot. The Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible Vol.1 page 532, tells us that, "the cap of the priest was a conical-shaped object of finely woven linen tied on the head of the priest as a SIGN of his investiture. The CAP was a distinctive item of the priestly vestments." Webster’s New World Dictionary says that convex means "a vaulted arch, curving outward like the surface of a sphere." Now, if we take two convexo-convex pieces of linen material and sew them together, you would have the exact, small hilled, convex cap every priest wore when they served Yahweh. You can see that this design would be very similar as the modern "kippah" now worn.
The mitre (or official turban) of the Kohen HaGadol is called a mitsnephet in Hebrew. According to Philo and Josephus it consisted of an ordinary priest’s cap with a turban of dark blue color over it. Josephus (Antiq.111.vii.3, 6) says that the headgear of the priests was seemed at the folds and so became a cap. Clarke’s Commentary, Vol. 1, page 445 tells us that; " the mitsnephet comes from the root –to roll (tsanaph) or wrap around, it evidently means that covering of the head so UNIVERSAL in the Eastern countries which we call a turban which encompasses and binds the head.." . Note: only the High Priest wore the Turban or mitre, while the regular priests wore the cap!
The Brit Chadasha tells us we are a set-apart priesthood offering up spiritual sacrifices to Yahweh (1 Kepha 2:5). Should we not have on some type of head covering as we minister as a priest before Yahweh?
Remember, this is a part of Torah not a tradition or Talmud.
It is interesting that, according to the Torah, the Kohen HaGadol could NEVER UNCOVER HIS HEAD EVEN IN MOURNING FOR THE DEAD (Lev.21: 10-11). Yahshua is now our High priest after the order of Malkitzedek (Ivrim 6-8;Tehillim 110:4-6). Surely He wears some type of head covering as our High Priest as he ministers in the heavenly Mishkan.
King Dawid
Dawid the Melek Yisrael, a man after Yahweh’s heart, worshipped with a head covering and his prayers were answered! In 2 Shemu’el 15:30-37 Dawid went up to the Mount of Olives (just as Yahshua did) weeping, barefoot, and having his head covered. And ALL the people covered their heads and went up weeping…and Dawid said, "O Yahweh, I PRAY YOU..". Dawid was seeking Yahweh’s face and supplicating Him for help in a time of trouble. Yahweh answered Dawid’s prayer. Therefore we know Yahweh hears us when we pray with our heads covered! That has never changed!
The Book of Dani’el
Chananyah, Misha’el, and Azraryah were three Yahudites taken captive in Babylon between 598-582 BCE. All the people of rank, laws, judgments, and proper dress codes were also taken to Babylon according to 2 Melakim 24:14. Dani’el and these three Hebrews served in the court of Nebukadnetsar.They REFUSED to defile themselves with Babylonian ways! In Dani’el 3:21, were told these three that REFUSED TO BOW TO THE BABYLONIAN GODS AND WAYS were thrown with their "TURBANS" on into the fire! We know the Babylonians also wore a headcovering in their daily life, AS DID THE YAHUDITES. The fact that they did, DOES NOT NEGATE THE USE OF HEAD COVERINGS FOR YISRAEL. We know in most Middle Eastern countries men do wear turbans or caps. The Yahudites carried this into the Babylonian exile. They did not pick it up there!
Yechezqel, who prophesied just before and after the captivity, was COMMANDED BY YAHWEH TO PUT A TURBAN ON HIS HEAD in Ezek.24: 15-17 and then he commanded all of them to do the same in verses 20-23!
As you can clearly see, covering of the head is quite an ancient idea. I will admit, however, that the practice of the Kippah was not established among the commoners until after the destruction of the temple. This was done because no longer was the establishment of the priests... and now the common man made Teshuvah with HaShem.

Anyway, what does remain true is that the Rabbis, Teachers of the Torah, Priests, etc... all wore some type of a head covering in Y'shua's time.

shalom,
yafet

Upvote 0

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Alfred Edersheim in his book "[Yahshua] the Messiah" on pages 426-431 describes the dress of the time period of the Second Temple. He says, "In regard to the covering of the head, it was deemed a mark of disrespect to walk abroad, or to pass a person, with a bared head. Slaves covered their heads in the presence of their masters..The ordinary covering of the head was the Sudar, a kerchief twisted into a turban..A kind of light hat was also in use, either of a light material or of felt. The Sudar was twisted by rabbis in a peculiar manner to distinguish them from others…We read besides of a sort of a cap or hood attached to some kinds of outer or inner garments…of the outward appearance of [Yeshua]..His headgear would probably be the SUDAR wound in a kind of turban or perhaps the Maaphoreth, which seems to have served as a covering for the head, and to have descended over the back of the kneck and shoulders.." so, here from historical references we can see that Y'shua probably wore some sort of head covering.

Upvote 0

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
More from Rabbi Edward:
What about 1 Corinthians 11:4?
Let’s look at that verse in the Greek and see what it really means. FIRST YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS A MISTRANSLATION OF THIS VERSE! It is only ONE MISTRANSLATED WITNESS that people try to quote to "prove" head coverings for men are wrong in the eyes of Yahweh.

· 1 Corinthians 11:4 "Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, brings shame to his Head." The Scriptures

· Complete Jewish Bible by David Stern, "Every man who prays or prophesies wearing something down over his head.."

· COVERED -#2596 KATA- down, about, AGAINST, in OPPOSITION TO, down from (like a VEIL hanging from his head) –Thayer’s page 327. This word then can mean 1. To hang down from the head (over the face) like a woman’s veil [which in context makes sense as Rav Shaul is contrasting the worship of men and women, and that men are not to look like women-Rabbi Ed] 2. In opposition to or opposed to.

· HEAD # 2776 KEPHALE; KAPTO the HEAD (literally or figuratively) supreme, chief, prominent, MASTER page 345 Thayer’s. This is the same word used twice in this verse. Why was one capitalized and the other isn’t? There are no capitals in Greek.

This verse is NOT against head coverings for men. It is against the wearing of a veil by a man over his face, as was the custom of the women of that period! Why does Rav Shaul speak of men wearing long hair or actually adoring the long locks of hair with ornamental jewels as women (the word is #2863 in Greek KOMAO- wear long tresses of hair, locks, as ornamental (length is secondary) from #2864-KOME). Shaul did not want the men of Corinth (center for male temple prostitutes of Apollo, Poseidon, and other gods) to be mistaken for women in their dress, and hairstyle-other wise NO CROSS-DRESSING. The men were pulling their long locks of hair over their faces as a veil as was the manner of women and imitating their hairstyles and manner in prayer. THIS IS NOT TALKING OF A MAN WEARING A HEAD COVERING IN PRAYER OR WORSHIP BUT A VEIL!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know I know... he's one of the names you have posted on the seekgod.ca website...

I know nothing of Ed Nydle except that he writes numerous articles for MJAA (an organization that you seem to have respect for). It is a link that I had found a few years back through the MJAA that I found this article, and I know hardly a thing about the guy beyond that.

However, I'm not here to talk about Ed Nydle. The article could be written by "anonymous" for all I care...

If you have found fault in what I posted, ignoring the source... then please show us.

thanks,
yafet

Upvote 0

He put me back together

Official Hog washer
Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
✟4,092.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Alright! Finally some viewpoints on the subject. (Facetious posts are ok, but I'm glad some serious ones are showing up now...heh. I don't know how two of these threads ended up in one forum) Some clarification: By "relevant" I mean anything that would deflect a person from saying "Who cares?" It's more of a maintenance call than an actual question of detail--to keep the thread on the subject of what he wore and perhaps why, rather than "Why did you post this thread anyway?" Course, apparently it failed, but at any rate...thanks for the input. Some nice discussion here.

Upvote 0

Higher Truth

Nov 9, 2002
✟1,257.00
Faith
Messianic
Simchat:

I know I know... he's one of the names you have posted on the seekgod.ca website...

HT:

the website www.seekgod.ca is not my website, although I have quoted from it on occasion as well as many others.

Simchat:

I know nothing of Ed Nydle except that he writes numerous articles for MJAA

HT:

Nydle has no connection with the MJAA, and if I remember correctly, he is not Jewish. he is leadership in YATI with Koniuchowski.

Upvote 0

He put me back together

Official Hog washer
Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
✟4,092.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Nehemiah_Center said:

Anyone who has ever priced a large seamless Tallit knows they are very valuble even today and I think that it was no different then.

As for tzitzit I think that is very obvious in this scripture

Mat 9:20 And behold, a woman who had a flow of blood for twelve years came near behind Him, and touched the fringe of His robe.

This is an adequate description of a tzitzit. So I think it becomes obvious that the style of clothing was different at that time than now but that our Lord had surely kept that mitzphot.

Now as for his wearing a kippot I don't see anything in scripture that says that He did or did not. Nor anyone else really. This does not mean that it was not customary nor that it was mearly that the Bible is silent on the issue. Personally I beleive that the style was somewhat different than what we see today. Also Shuals teaching about the propriety in a worship service tends to support that:

1Co 11:7 For truly a man ought not to have the head covered, being the image and glory of God. But woman is the glory of man;

So this may indicate that the covering of a mans head was not done in that time. Thus no kippot. This letter was to this church in regards to innapropriate style of worship there so thus covering your head would be considered innapropriate in the predenominational church.

Blessings

Actually, I think the translation from the Institute for Scripture Research uses the word tzit tzit. Now, whether they were simply leaving the language in tact as they usually do, or whether they were including their own conclusions in scriptural translation is up for clarification.

Upvote 0

He put me back together

Official Hog washer
Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
✟4,092.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Nehemiah_Center said:
I want to make sure that I get a good Aramaic translation on this Shlomo

Mat 23:5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make honkin huge their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,

Is that about right?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Upvote 0