New Jersey
✟336,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Can anyone explain to me, what in the parlance of denomination, a Puritan is?

That's a good question. I would label both "Puritan" and "Calvinist" as Reformed (i.e., within Calvin's school of thought); I don't know what distinction the quiz-writer has in mind. Unless it's a distinction between Reformed in England/New England vs Reformed in Continental Europe, but that's a lot of hair-splitting for an online quiz.

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟102,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's a good question. I would label both "Puritan" and "Calvinist" as Reformed (i.e., within Calvin's school of thought); I don't know what distinction the quiz-writer has in mind. Unless it's a distinction between Reformed in England/New England vs Reformed in Continental Europe, but that's a lot of hair-splitting for an online quiz.
Yes, it is just an on-line quiz. I wonder what combination of answers would separate Calvinist from Puritan or are all Puritans Calvinist?
The quiz does not rightly separate Orthodox from the other somewhat similar groups so it is not particularly discerning.
However, since I am one, according to the quiz, I would like to know what Puritan is.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is just an on-line quiz. I wonder what combination of answers would separate Calvinist from Puritan or are all Puritans Calvinist?
The quiz does not rightly separate Orthodox from the other somewhat similar groups so it is not particularly discerning.
However, since I am one, according to the quiz, I would like to know what Puritan is.

I don't know if there are any modern Puritans. In the US, their theological descendants are the Congregationalists in New England, but modern Congregationalists are not identical in belief to their 17th century ancestors. I also would like to know what the quiz writer meant by "Puritan".

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Puritans were English post-Lollard Calvinists who dissented from the Established Church, either formally through schism (and becoming Congregationalists or Baptists), or informally by simply disregarding the Book of Common Prayer and Elizabethan Settlement, and emphasizing (often self-styled) Calvinistic/Lollard doctrines (such as the denial of baptismal regeneration or the attacks upon liturgy in general). Frequently, Puritans emphasized the need to experience "the new birth" as something separated from baptism, and they demanded clergy be able to testify to such experiences.

It cannot be compared to the continental Reformed, who often emphasized (and still do), the ordinary means of grace through preaching and the sacraments, and not the experience of regeneration or the new birth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know if there are any modern Puritans. In the US, their theological descendants are the Congregationalists in New England, but modern Congregationalists are not identical in belief to their 17th century ancestors. I also would like to know what the quiz writer meant by "Puritan".

Modern Congregationalists are pretty far removed in some ways form Puritans. For one thing, Puritanism was a disaster in North America, degenerating into fanaticism and hypocrisy fairly quickly, and this lead to the development of corrective doctrines, such as the "Halfway Covenant", and the moderating of Puritan impulses. By the time of early America, Congregationalists had basically become like Anglicans in terms of focusing on broad church moralism and latitudinarianism, but they also participated in the two Great Awakenings, along with other Protestant churches, and that shaped them as well.

The modern UCC and it's adjacent denominations are more or less similar to other mainline Protestant churches, such as American Baptists, except they usually have congregational polity and a somewhat higher view of the sacraments. The dominant influences, like other mainline churches, are Pietism and theological Liberalism and Modernism. It's fairly common to see calendar observances (such as Ash Wednesday) and religious art in modern UCC churches, something you wouldn't have seen in an historically Puritan church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟102,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One meaning of Puritan is that they were "plain," and simple in ceremony.
It may be that to which the quizzers refer. I dont' see the other "plain folks" such as Quakers listed but the quiz is narrow in scope. I doubt the Amish or Quakers need an on-line quiz to identify their denomination. Those denominations identify their members, not the other way around.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What denomination describes best? Take ten minutes to take the test!

The results pretty well describes my faith…

80% Methodist
78% Baptist
73% Puritan
63% Pentecostal
53% Calvinist
45% Lutheran
00% Catholic
Some of the questions were poorly structured, especially #4, 12, and 16. It’s a bit ironic, perhaps, that Catholics make up the majority of church members while ranking zero on this test.

Upvote 0

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟102,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
#7 was the best question as I had to stop and think about what I believed.
I compared that quiz to other, similar on-line quizzes and it is actually the best, imho.
It is fun. If it makes a person think about God and what a person believes, it is harmless.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

9Rock9

Sinner in need of grace.
Nov 28, 2018
South Carolina
✟73,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I got 85% Puritan and 83% Baptist.

I've taken this quiz before, and got Puritan everytime I can remember, so I actually expected this result.

I think part of it is that while I agree with most Baptist doctrines and practices, I am not as gung-ho about some of the distinctives such as church polity.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Lutheran, Episcopalian, Methodist, Catholic, Restorationist

Not very surprising, as I am still technically Lutheran, even if I attend a Congregationalist church.

The questions are not the best, since some common opinions are excluded, like liberal Protestant ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Puritan 79%
Baptist 77%
Calvinist 74%
Methodist 64%
Pentecostal 50%
Lutheran 45%
Episcopalian 12%
Restoration 8%
Catholics 0%

I attend Baptist (w/ a friend) & RCA (family) churches. I'm not really sure what "Puritan" means in this context, but based off the description the quiz gave me, it's kind of like Calvinism.

So my 3 highest results match the churches I attend.

It seems like it's church set-up. Puritans believe in less centralized heirarchy than Calvinist.

"You adhere to the reformed theologies that stemmed from John Calvin in the sixteenth century. The idea of predestination is central to your beliefs. You believe that not only is salvation predestined by God, this election is unconditional, and cannot be either resisted or lost. As opposed to the Arminian belief in free will, Calvinists stress that men are born as sinners (total depravity), and that they do not have the ability to turn from sin by themselves (sovereign grace). As far as church organisation is concerned, you believe in a less centralised system than your mainstream Calvinist counterparts, although historically some Puritans did support a Presbyterian polity. However, Puritans stress the importance of religious freedom, with notable Purtans such as Oliver Cromwell being tolerant even to polygamist groups such as Anabaptists."
This is the description of Puritan I got.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Arminianism is actually just a variant of Reformed theology, and uses similar theological categories. Arminians historically also believed in total depravity, but they believe when the Gospel is preached, people are enabled to accept it. John Wesley's speculations about "Christian perfection" are what eventually lead to the minimization of denial of total depravity.

A salient, but often unacknowledged practical difference, between Puritans and Calvinists, and Arminians, actually isn't so much in the doctrine of predestination (historically Arminians did believe in predestination also, though they had a different explanation), the more salient aspect is that Puritans and Calvinists expected that spiritual awakening was something a person would grow into through the experience of the ordinary means of grace (preaching and the sacraments). There was also more of a demand that clergy in particular show evidence of regeneration. Whereas classical Anglicans and Lutherans did not have these distinct emphases.

Upvote 0