Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,017.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
What denomination describes best? Take ten minutes to take the test!

The results pretty well describes my faith…

80% Methodist
78% Baptist
73% Puritan
63% Pentecostal
53% Calvinist
45% Lutheran
00% Catholic

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. I played around with it a bit and ultimately decided the concept is good but it is not nuanced enough. The one that really jumped out at me is the speaking in tongues question. They didn't have what i believe, so I chose the closest, which caused me to come out as Pentacostal. So I simply switched that answer to the next closest one and it switched me to Baptist. Pretty big difference between those two. Found similar things with a couple of other questions - it seems picking a slightly different answer made a radical difference in outcome.

Reactions: Quasiblogo
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,017.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟62,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I came up 85% Baptist, which I am. Several questions seemed a little convoluted and some didn't have answers that explained things clearly. Or maybe another answer could have been added because what was there to choose from didn't quite hit the mark.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What denomination describes best? Take ten minutes to take the test!

The results pretty well describes my faith…

80% Methodist
78% Baptist
73% Puritan
63% Pentecostal
53% Calvinist
45% Lutheran
00% Catholic

Thing said I'm an Episcopalian. I think they need to re-calibrate something.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I can't even answer the first question in the quiz.

The two options basically offers a choice between what looks like some kind of Calvinist-ish Arminianism, and the second answer is Decisionism.

First option is: "God, he chooses the elect who he knows will accept him" While the answer of God choosing the elect is a Calvinist, "who he knows will accept him" is Arminian.

Second option is "Individuals have the free will to accept or reject God, and will have the opportunity in their lifetime" which is just Decisionism.

I suppose, fortunately, I already know I'm a Lutheran. But I was curious what results I might get are, but I can't even get past the first question.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I can't even answer the first question in the quiz.

The two options basically offers a choice between what looks like some kind of Calvinist-ish Arminianism, and the second answer is Decisionism.

First option is: "God, he chooses the elect who he knows will accept him" While the answer of God choosing the elect is a Calvinist, "who he knows will accept him" is Arminian.

Second option is "Individuals have the free will to accept or reject God, and will have the opportunity in their lifetime" which is just Decisionism.

I suppose, fortunately, I already know I'm a Lutheran. But I was curious what results I might get are, but I can't even get past the first question.

-CryptoLutheran

Ah yes the Calvinist/Arminian debate. It was my biggest struggle during my years in Protestant churches. It is a struggle that will not be resolved in Protestant churches because there is no ecclesial authority. Each has their own view and the scriptures to back them up, yet the issue is never resolved.
I did not find the answer until I submitted to Church authority and asked for the answer.
Yes there is an elect. God knows those that are His, but we don’t. That is why scripture warns us to strive to make our calling and election sure. A man is not saved by good works, but a saved man does good works by necessity. God says that we are the light of the world, let your good works shine before men. If we have no good works, how are we shining? Answer is we don’t; we bring reproach to the cross of Christ.
If we are embarrassed because we have no good works and feel that it is too hard, what does an elect do? He begins by trusting God. Ask and you will receive, knock and it will be opened to you, seek and you will find.
An elect is not saved by works, yet his works still have merit, and we will be rewarded accordingly. Gold, silver, precious stones vs wood hay and stubble. The deceived man does nothing. He says in his heart, I am not saved by works, so why bother? Can’t tell me to stop drinking, can’t tell me to stop watching inappropriate content, can’t tell me to give up my love of money or my lofty position. I go church, I believe in Jesus, I pay my tithe, I am saved. Oh really?
When we look at Christ’s death on the cross, we need to see that He died for every soul that ever lived or will live. The why are not all in heaven? Because God wants us to love Him, and love is not love of it is not free. He broke the curse of sin to give us free will. Choose this day whom you shall serve. The works of the flesh or the works of the spirit. Everyone knows John 3:16, but do we study and contemplate John 3:17? He who believes not is condemned already, because he has rejected the only Son of God. Jesus tells us if we are overcome by sin we ask Him and He will take it away. The devil tells you you can keep your sin and still get to heaven by making an intellectual ascent to Jesus. Just say Lord Lord and He will let you in. You sure about that?
Does not Christ Himself say not everyone that says to me Lord Lord will get in the kingdom of heaven? Only those that do the will of my Father?
Yes Jesus died for everyone and we have free will, yet God knows those who will choose Him and those that won’t. This is why His anguish was so intense in Gethsemane that He sweated great drops of blood. He was not afraid to die on the cross. He had to die and endure pain for those He knew would reject Him. That was His pain and His submission to the Father. He wanted to die for the elect, yet the Father commands us to love our enemies. Would not He wish His Christ to do the same or even more?
Unrequited love is some of the deepest pain we feel. How much more would God feel for His people? Nevertheless not my will, but thine be done
Praise be the name of our Lord Jesus Christ as He loved us unto death, and He tells us, if you love me, keep my commandments. Unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will in no wise enter the kingdom of heaven. Be perfect, as I am perfect

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Ah yes the Calvinist/Arminian debate. It was my biggest struggle during my years in Protestant churches. It is a struggle that will not be resolved in Protestant churches because there is no ecclesial authority. Each has their own view and the scriptures to back them up, yet the issue is never resolved.
I did not find the answer until I submitted to Church authority and asked for the answer.
Yes there is an elect. God knows those that are His, but we don’t. That is why scripture warns us to strive to make our calling and election sure. A man is not saved by good works, but a saved man does good works by necessity. God says that we are the light of the world, let your good works shine before men. If we have no good works, how are we shining? Answer is we don’t; we bring reproach to the cross of Christ.
If we are embarrassed because we have no good works and feel that it is too hard, what does an elect do? He begins by trusting God. Ask and you will receive, knock and it will be opened to you, seek and you will find.
An elect is not saved by works, yet his works still have merit, and we will be rewarded accordingly. Gold, silver, precious stones vs wood hay and stubble. The deceived man does nothing. He says in his heart, I am not saved by works, so why bother? Can’t tell me to stop drinking, can’t tell me to stop watching inappropriate content, can’t tell me to give up my love of money or my lofty position. I go church, I believe in Jesus, I pay my tithe, I am saved. Oh really?
When we look at Christ’s death on the cross, we need to see that He died for every soul that ever lived or will live. The why are not all in heaven? Because God wants us to love Him, and love is not love of it is not free. He broke the curse of sin to give us free will. Choose this day whom you shall serve. The works of the flesh or the works of the spirit. Everyone knows John 3:16, but do we study and contemplate John 3:17? He who believes not is condemned already, because he has rejected the only Son of God. Jesus tells us if we are overcome by sin we ask Him and He will take it away. The devil tells you you can keep your sin and still get to heaven by making an intellectual ascent to Jesus. Just say Lord Lord and He will let you in. You sure about that?
Does not Christ Himself say not everyone that says to me Lord Lord will get in the kingdom of heaven? Only those that do the will of my Father?
Yes Jesus died for everyone and we have free will, yet God knows those who will choose Him and those that won’t. This is why His anguish was so intense in Gethsemane that He sweated great drops of blood. He was not afraid to die on the cross. He had to die and endure pain for those He knew would reject Him. That was His pain and His submission to the Father. He wanted to die for the elect, yet the Father commands us to love our enemies. Would not He wish His Christ to do the same or even more?
Unrequited love is some of the deepest pain we feel. How much more would God feel for His people? Nevertheless not my will, but thine be done
Praise be the name of our Lord Jesus Christ as He loved us unto death, and He tells us, if you love me, keep my commandments. Unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will in no wise enter the kingdom of heaven. Be perfect, as I am perfect

As a Lutheran I really don't have much of a dog in the Calvinist-Arminian debate. That debate has no bearing on Lutheranism, as both sides of the debate originated within the Reformed tradition, not in Lutheranism. The Lutheran Confessions don't leave room for either a Calvinist or Arminian view.

Our understanding of election is that we can know our election, because election isn't a private or secrete thing; election is expressed and revealed and found in God's visible work and promises. So, for example, baptism. Through baptism we are united to Christ's passion, death, burial, and resurrection; and thus we can look at our baptism and say, "Yes, I belong to God." Christ has promised that there is new birth by "water and the Spirit" (John 3:5), and that whoever is baptized has had their sins washed away (Acts 2:38), and belong to Christ, clothed with Him (Galatians 3:27).

So election is, then, visible.

Election, however, does not mean that we cannot make shipwreck of our faith. As though having believed once, we cannot fall away; or that baptism were somehow "fire insurance". For God justifies, saves us, through faith--which He is working and creating and strenghtening through His revealed Means of Grace: Word and Sacrament. He is the Vine, and we are the branches, apart from Him we will wither. That we are the branches we can know because of God's word and promise to us in Christ. But if we become apostate, we throw away God's promises and dive headlong back to faithlessness, returning again like a dog to its own vomit, embracing the old man dead and condemned, rather than abiding in and strengthening the new man which is alive in Christ.

So election, which is by God's predestination--having chosen us in Christ before the foundation of the world, out of His great and abundant love for us in Christ, is efficacious cause of our salvation. God chose us, and then meets us through Word and Sacrament, to give us faith. We can resist this grace, but faith itself comes as pure gift apart from ourselves. Faith is extra nos.

What this boils down to is this:

Calvinism: Saved by God's choice alone, and damned by God's choice alone.

Arminianism: Saved by our choice in alignment with God's choice, damned by our choice alone.

Lutheranism: Saved by God's choice alone, damned by our choice alone.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,017.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Obviously whoever put together this survey only had post Calvinism denominations in mind. I did not see that until reading this thread Thank you for the input! There was a church before John Calvin came along!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
As a Lutheran I really don't have much of a dog in the Calvinist-Arminian debate. That debate has no bearing on Lutheranism, as both sides of the debate originated within the Reformed tradition, not in Lutheranism. The Lutheran Confessions don't leave room for either a Calvinist or Arminian view.

Our understanding of election is that we can know our election, because election isn't a private or secrete thing; election is expressed and revealed and found in God's visible work and promises. So, for example, baptism. Through baptism we are united to Christ's passion, death, burial, and resurrection; and thus we can look at our baptism and say, "Yes, I belong to God." Christ has promised that there is new birth by "water and the Spirit" (John 3:5), and that whoever is baptized has had their sins washed away (Acts 2:38), and belong to Christ, clothed with Him (Galatians 3:27).

So election is, then, visible.

Election, however, does not mean that we cannot make shipwreck of our faith. As though having believed once, we cannot fall away; or that baptism were somehow "fire insurance". For God justifies, saves us, through faith--which He is working and creating and strenghtening through His revealed Means of Grace: Word and Sacrament. He is the Vine, and we are the branches, apart from Him we will wither. That we are the branches we can know because of God's word and promise to us in Christ. But if we become apostate, we throw away God's promises and dive headlong back to faithlessness, returning again like a dog to its own vomit, embracing the old man dead and condemned, rather than abiding in and strengthening the new man which is alive in Christ.

So election, which is by God's predestination--having chosen us in Christ before the foundation of the world, out of His great and abundant love for us in Christ, is efficacious cause of our salvation. God chose us, and then meets us through Word and Sacrament, to give us faith. We can resist this grace, but faith itself comes as pure gift apart from ourselves. Faith is extra nos.

What this boils down to is this:

Calvinism: Saved by God's choice alone, and damned by God's choice alone.

Arminianism: Saved by our choice in alignment with God's choice, damned by our choice alone.

Lutheranism: Saved by God's choice alone, damned by our choice alone.

-CryptoLutheran
Thank you for the post. Yours sounds close to Catholic understanding, but Luther taught faith alone. How do you define that? Would shipwrecking the faith be stopping belief in Christ or viewing Him as a fairytale, or would it be more of losing faith in His commands and falling into sin and not desire repentance?

As Catholics, we believe that we are born again by water and the spirit, and the sign that we are born again is that we are given the gifts of the three theological virtues, Faith, Hope, and Charity, which come from God alone. They cannot be obtained by work.
Faith to believe that God IS, and He is a rewarder of those that diligently seek Him. Hope to believe that He will do what He says He will and complete His work in us, and Charity to love who God is and do everything that we can to please Him.
The remaining theological virtues of prudence, justice, temperance and fortitude are achieved by good works cooperating with grace. We will be given as much as we desire, but we have to desire it and we have to ask for it. The Lord has given us the sacraments as channels of grace to help us along in our struggle with virtue.

Faith is not alone, as the word of God says if I have Faith but not Charity, I am nothing

I was wondering your thoughts in this area

Peace be with you

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for the post. Yours sounds close to Catholic understanding, but Luther taught faith alone. How do you define that? Would shipwrecking the faith be stopping belief in Christ or viewing Him as a fairytale, or would it be more of losing faith in His commands and falling into sin and not desire repentance?

As Catholics, we believe that we are born again by water and the spirit, and the sign that we are born again is that we are given the gifts of the three theological virtues, Faith, Hope, and Charity, which come from God alone. They cannot be obtained by work.
Faith to believe that God IS, and He is a rewarder of those that diligently seek Him. Hope to believe that He will do what He says He will and complete His work in us, and Charity to love who God is and do everything that we can to please Him.
The remaining theological virtues of prudence, justice, temperance and fortitude are achieved by good works cooperating with grace. We will be given as much as we desire, but we have to desire it and we have to ask for it. The Lord has given us the sacraments as channels of grace to help us along in our struggle with virtue.

Faith is not alone, as the word of God says if I have Faith but not Charity, I am nothing

I was wondering your thoughts in this area

Peace be with you

What I described above is what Lutherans--and Luther--understood "faith alone" to mean. Faith alone receives what God has done and accomplished in Christ, and thus through faith alone God justifies; that is, God declares us just and gives us Christ's righteousness, so that we stand before God bearing not our own righteousness (which we have none to offer) but only the righteousness of Jesus.

Without faith it is impossible to love God, without faith I have no hope. So while "If I have faith, but have not love, I am nothing" is true, because I can believe as hard as possible, but without love what even is my faith? Nevertheless, we love because He first loved us; and our salvation is from God alone, as pure gift; received through faith (faith, which God gives, creates, and strengthens).

Unlike many other Protestant traditions, Lutherans understand that justification isn't just some one-time thing; it's instead a continual, ever-present reality. God is continually speaking the Gospel to us, the good news of our forgiveness, the declaration that we are forgiven because of what Christ has done. So in Word and Sacrament God is giving us faith, creating faith, strengthening faith; and therefore God is declaring us forgiven, giving us the righteousness of Jesus, clothing us with Christ and making us new people. It's not that we were, at one time, justified; we are being justified all the time. God is always speaking and working, giving and sharing Himself with us. And so to abide in Christ through faith is to cling to the promises which are ours in Christ, to hear the word, to be at the receiving end of God's grace through Word and Sacrament. Through Baptism, through the Eucharist, through Confession and Absolution there is real grace, real saving and justifying grace that cleanses us, that gives us life from God. God is saving us out of His love and kindness toward us in Christ.

We cooperate with God not for our justification, but our continued sanctification; that we should be conformed to the image of Christ and possess the fruits of the Holy Spirit, and live lives of faith and love.

Essentially here is the distinction we make: Justification refers to God unilaterally declaring us righteous on Christ's account. Sanctification is about our taking up our cross and following Jesus, and loving our neighbor.

We thus speak of "two kinds of righteousness", Righteousness Coram Deo, or righteousness before God which is the passive righteousness we receive as pure grace through faith; and Righteousness Coram Mundus, or righteousness before the world which is the active righteousness we are to have in relation toward our neighbor in love. So that Luther would say the entire Christian life is constituted by a life through faith in Christ, and a life through love of neighbor. These two things are what constitute the Christian life: Faith in Christ and love of neighbor. But in the same way that love of neighbor is not what justifies us before God; it is also true that faith in Christ is not the same thing as righteousness toward our neighbor in love. The two must co-exist, but faith always precedes good works. Good works flow from faith, not as something which makes us right with God, but which bears justice toward our neighbor, for it is our neighbor who is hungry, our neighbor who is thirsty, our neighbor who needs to be clothed.

So that in all things I can trust in the promises of God to love me and save me, without the dread fear of my own sinful weakness at every hour of every day depriving me of God's goodness--I can therefore rest secure in His promise of grace which is freely given, and freely received. And out of this confidence with God devote myself to a life of good works, done not out of fear, but love. For we were made for good works, as Ephesians 2:10 says; but they do not improve our lot with God (Ephesians 2:8-9). All we have we have from God, and the life we now live is to be lived to His praise as we take up our cross and bear this life in love for others, out of obedience to Christ who saved us.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟471,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Well I got 79% Catholic and 74% Episcopalian. I agree with @HTacianas and @rockytopva that the poll suffers from a lack of familiarity with Eastern Christianity and thus in its ignorance of the Eastern Orthodox communion, which is the second largest in the world, and the Oriental Orthodox, who are also quite large, and the Church of the East, which before Tamerlane’s genocide covered the most territory of any church at that time, stretching from Socotra and Nisibis to Mongolia, Tibet and Kerala, and right across Central Asia, Persia and Mesopotamia.

These three denominations undermine the false dichotomy of Roman Catholic vs. Protestant, being neither, and never having experienced the Reformation or Counter-Reformation. The vast majority of schisms in the Eastern churches have been about protecting the church from innovations that threaten Holy Tradition, in other words, seeking to preclude conditions that could induce a reformation movement.

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟101,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have never belonged to any denomination. I have never studied with any group. My understanding of theology is based on Sola Scriptura, personal experience and reading theology/philosophy.

Puritan 91%

Calvinist 68%
Baptist 62%
Methodist 47%
Lutheran 26%
Pentecostal 23%
Episcopalian 7%
Catholic 1%
Restorationist

Can anyone explain to me, what in the parlance of denomination, a Puritan is?

Last edited:
Upvote 0