What Defines Adultery with Another Man's Wife?

DanielJohn

Aug 24, 2010
✟15,137.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I'm a lifelong member of the Roman Catholic organization, who was born again in 2005. I do not have the Catholic icon, because it would erroneously say "Faith: Catholic" when you drag your mouse over the icon. I admit that my church is probably the "great harlot" (Rev. 17:1) and the "mother of harlots" (Rev. 17:5). But I don't believe we are supposed to leave our respective "harlots" until the great tribulation. She does not know that she is a harlot. I believe that, for now, we are supposed to rebuke her and to not feed her unless she repents. Since my regeneration, the thing that has surprised me the most about all of Christendom is how we are defining adultery with another man's wife. I want to make sure that I do not deceive my son or my daughter on this.

The Lord says (Luke 16:18b), "whoever marries her that is put away from her husband commits adultery."
But Catholics say, "whoever marries her that is put away from her unbaptized or spiritually immature husband does not commit adultery."
And Protestants say, "whoever marries her that is put away from her unbelieving, unfaithful, or abusive husband does not commit adultery."

I found that both Catholic adjectives underlined above, and 2 of the 3 Protestant adjectives (unbelieving and abusive) come from the idea that, in 1st Cor. 7v15, the Holy Ghost meant for Paul to write "bound" (Greek deo) when he wrote "enslaved" (Greek doulo-o). I have found that this error is rooted in the 12th century Catholic Church. That's long before the Protestant Reformation. So to all of you who are not Catholics, I apologize to you for my church's error. You inherited that from the mother church.

The other Protestant adjective (unfaithful) comes from the idea that, in the Matthew 5:32 / 19:9 exception clause, the Lord meant to say "marital unfaithfulness" (Greek moicheia; Hebrew nawaf) when He said "premarital unfaithfulness" (Greek inappropriate contenteia; Hebrew zanah). That's an error, because the exception clause has to do with putting away a harlot (Greek inappropriate contente), not an adulteress (Greek moichalis). The two scenarios I can think of is: a. the man finds out that his wife got pregnant before the day he started to sleep with her (Mat 1:18-19), or b. the man, in an arranged marriage culture, finds no blood on his wife's wedding cloth (Deu. 22:13-21). The reason why there is no exception clause for the woman putting away her husband (Mark 10:12) is because a man has neither a hymen nor a womb.

Even though the erroneous interpretation of the exception clause (Mat. 5:32 / 19:9) originated in the daughter churches, the mother church is partially to blame because she failed to adequately interpret the clause. To this day, she says it means "except for unlawful marriage" (see Catholic bibles). By unlawful marriage, she means incest, like that of Herod and his brother's wife (Mat. 14:4). Even though incest is a type of inappropriate contenteia (1st Cor. 5:1), that is not what the Lord was referring to. That's because the Lord was referring to a man putting away "his wife" (Mat 5:32 /19:9), not someone else's wife.

If the Lord's definition of adultery with another man's wife is correct, then it means that men have a duty that is not specifically spelled out in scripture. It would be a duty to rebuke a sister's unbelieving husband whenever he leaves her, puts her away, cheats against her, or abuses her. If we have such a sister, then it's cruel to do nothing other than to tell her, "you may not get remarried to another." We must do much more than that. We must rebuke her husband and keep believing that for as long as he is alive, it's possible for God to change him. But we need to be wise about our rebuke. There is a wise way to rebuke and a foolish way to rebuke. I can discuss that more, but I didn't want to digress from this thread's topic.

All replies to this thread are welcome. Thank you.

janman345

Jun 15, 2010
✟1,170.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In duet a man who puts away his wife can not go back to her as that would be an abomination.

In mathew Jesus prefaces his famous 2 line scripture (that especially catholics like to use as a club) with in the beginning it was not this way (refering to duet). However we are not in the beginning. Adultry is sleeping with another mans wife, period. If your divorced your not married. In the beginning if you were to divorce and remarry it was adultry but mans (man being human beings both men and women) hearts were hard so the rules in exodus and duet were put into place to protect people from abusive sitautions, of course we can come up with a multitude of situations and scenarios for divorces that one can judge on but only the couple and God know if they truely feel abused or if they are simply looking for an excuse out of the relationship (who are we as an outsider to judge). There are WAY to many variables and scenarios and only the neglected spouse knows in their heart and God knows their heart if divorce is valid because of the hardness of their spouses heart.

Alot of people like to say that the one who initiates the divorce is the one with the hard heart but often times abusers dont want the divorce because they would loose their abusee.

If someone is claiming abuse where it is not valid that is between them and God, not some 3rd person to gossip about in church.

Upvote 0

DanielJohn

Aug 24, 2010
✟15,137.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I see what you're saying about Deuteronomy, but my question is whether the 2nd man to marry her would be committing adultery. Here's why I think he would. The Lord says that it's adultery when her husband is the one who put her away (Mat. 5:32) and when she is the one who put her husband away (Mark 10:12). So it doesn't matter who puts who away, a 2nd man cannot marry the wife without committing adultery. I agree with you about divorce. But as far as these 2nd men are concerned, I'm convinced that the churches are deceiving them.

Upvote 0

janman345

Jun 15, 2010
✟1,170.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well mathew mark luke and John are all pretty much the same. IN THE BEGINNING it was adultry to divorce and remarry, since then exodus and duet were writen. I think the point Jesus was trying to drive home was that marriage was serious buisness but that its not undisolvable, people were not taking it seriously and using duet to have frivolus divorces.

At the end of the day what it really boils down to is was your situation intolerable enough to divorce over or were you just looking to get rid of your wife for the girl next door. Thats really between God and you. All this micro analysing of scripture is really taking away from the over all message of the bible on divorce and is really creating chains for people rather than freeing them.

That being said if you are looking to date a woman who has been divorced you have to really pry and figure out why that divorce occured, he may have in fact been a creep but what she may not tell you is that she started being a prude at the same time or started blowing his money some how or whatever. You could almost befriend her ex on facebook and figure out his story, he may be a grade A dirt bag but he may have some dirt on this woman you are starting to get involved with as well.

Upvote 0
N

Nathan45

I'm a lifelong member of the Roman Catholic organization, who was born again in 2005. I do not have the Catholic icon, because it would erroneously say "Faith: Catholic" when you drag your mouse over the icon. I admit that my church is probably the "great harlot" (Rev. 17:1) and the "mother of harlots" (Rev. 17:5).

I'm pretty sure the harlot of Babylon is the Rome under Nero.

Rev 17-18 said:
"The woman whom you saw is the great city, which reigns over the kings of the earth."

I don't see how you could compare the catholic church to a "city". The city they're talking about is pre-christian Rome.

There's other hints they're talking about Nero and Rome:

Rev 17:9 said:
9"Here is the mind which has wisdom The seven heads are seven mountains on which the woman sits,

Rome is famous for being built on 7 hills.

Rev17:10 said:
10and they are seven kings; five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come; and when he comes, he must remain a little while.

1) Julius
2) Augustus
3) Tiberius
4) Caligula
5) Claudius
6) Nero -- the one who 'Is'
7) Galba -- and he reigned for less than a year in what's called "The year of four emperors".

Although the catholic church is in Rome, all these kings predate christianity being dominant in rome and Nero is notorious for persecuting christians.

Number of the Beast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The number of the beast (666 or 616 depending on which ancient manuscript) probably refers to Nero Caesar, because all hebrew letters are actually numbers and if you take all the letters that make up nero caesar transliterated from greek to hebrew you get 666. Alternatively if you spell it in latin and then transliterate it to hebrew, you get 616.

In any case, Nero persecuted the church so equating the catholic church with the harlot seems ridiculous to me.

But I don't believe we are supposed to leave our respective "harlots" until the great tribulation. She does not know that she is a harlot.

look, when someone is called a "harlot" that's a figure of speech. The catholic church is not literally a harlot. It's figurative. Similarly, when you allude to the idea that you are wedded the the catholic church, that is also figurative. This has nothing to do with Jesus' commands about marriage.

I believe that, for now, we are supposed to rebuke her and to not feed her unless she repents. Since my regeneration, the thing that has surprised me the most about all of Christendom is how we are defining adultery with another man's wife. I want to make sure that I do not deceive my son or my daughter on this.

The Lord says (Luke 16:18b), "whoever marries her that is put away from her husband commits adultery."
But Catholics say, "whoever marries her that is put away from her unbaptized or spiritually immature husband does not commit adultery."
And Protestants say, "whoever marries her that is put away from her unbelieving, unfaithful, or abusive husband does not commit adultery."

I found that both Catholic adjectives underlined above, and 2 of the 3 Protestant adjectives (unbelieving and abusive) come from the idea that, in 1st Cor. 7v15, the Holy Ghost meant for Paul to write "bound" (Greek deo) when he wrote "enslaved" (Greek doulo-o). I have found that this error is rooted in the 12th century Catholic Church. That's long before the Protestant Reformation. So to all of you who are not Catholics, I apologize to you for my church's error. You inherited that from the mother church.

The other Protestant adjective (unfaithful) comes from the idea that, in the Matthew 5:32 / 19:9 exception clause, the Lord meant to say "marital unfaithfulness" (Greek moicheia; Hebrew nawaf) when He said "premarital unfaithfulness" (Greek inappropriate contenteia; Hebrew zanah). That's an error, because the exception clause has to do with putting away a harlot (Greek inappropriate contente), not an adulteress (Greek moichalis). The two scenarios I can think of is: a. the man finds out that his wife got pregnant before the day he started to sleep with her (Mat 1:18-19), or b. the man, in an arranged marriage culture, finds no blood on his wife's wedding cloth (Deu. 22:13-21). The reason why there is no exception clause for the woman putting away her husband (Mark 10:12) is because a man has neither a hymen nor a womb.

Even though the erroneous interpretation of the exception clause (Mat. 5:32 / 19:9) originated in the daughter churches, the mother church is partially to blame because she failed to adequately interpret the clause. To this day, she says it means "except for unlawful marriage" (see Catholic bibles). By unlawful marriage, she means incest, like that of Herod and his brother's wife (Mat. 14:4). Even though incest is a type of inappropriate contenteia (1st Cor. 5:1), that is not what the Lord was referring to. That's because the Lord was referring to a man putting away "his wife" (Mat 5:32 /19:9), not someone else's wife.

If the Lord's definition of adultery with another man's wife is correct, then it means that men have a duty that is not specifically spelled out in scripture. It would be a duty to rebuke a sister's unbelieving husband whenever he leaves her, puts her away, cheats against her, or abuses her. If we have such a sister, then it's cruel to do nothing other than to tell her, "you may not get remarried to another." We must do much more than that. We must rebuke her husband and keep believing that for as long as he is alive, it's possible for God to change him. But we need to be wise about our rebuke. There is a wise way to rebuke and a foolish way to rebuke. I can discuss that more, but I didn't want to digress from this thread's topic.

All replies to this thread are welcome. Thank you.

You're making this way too complicated, IMO. You shouldn't need to understand ancient Greek text in the original language if you want to educate your kids about morality.

Upvote 0

DanielJohn

Aug 24, 2010
✟15,137.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
mpok1519, widows are free to enter into a new marriage with another person (1st Cor. 7:39; Rom. 7:2-3). "In the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven" (Mat. 22:30).

Nathan45, I admit that your interpretation of the harlot of Babylon is as good as any. I believe that there is an end times harlot of Babylon in addition to historic types. Yes, the use of the word "harlot" is figurative in this sense. I think of a figurative "harlot" as any person, or group of persons, who take your money in exchange for making you feel good. Every major organized church is a "harlot" in that they teach lies that at least a portion of their membership want to believe. I am not upset over this. It's just the way it is. Deception caused it to happen. Our enemy is the devil, not flesh and blood. You're right that God's teachings on adultery are very simple. I studied the ancient Greek texts in order to find out how man made it complicated.

Thanks for the replies.

Upvote 0