• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What Covid?

SigurdReginson

Aug 4, 2020
PNW
✟45,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
My friend who works at the hospital says there are a lot of people lately who test positive for COVID and still deny its existence. It’s a big problem because they can become agitated and refuse to follow the rules, won’t wear a mask, etc.

Yah... I do see a lot of patients without masks. As for covid patients, though, they are in isolation rooms. People can't even go in unless they gown up and wear CAPRs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People don't take it seriously unless it happens to them or people they know
. It's easy for them to deny it when no one they know got it or the people they know who did get it didn't have to much difficulty getting over it .

My sister and nephews joked about it till they got it. Now they take it serious because they are still getting over it .
My neighbor was one of those , it's not that serious. His wife passed two weeks ago and he passed yesterday. Him and his wife weren't on death's door. It effects everyone differently and you don't know how your body going to react to it.

I agree. I don't know how it will affect me. So I've been very determined not to catch it.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yesterday they interviewed a prominent person from Florida who owned a business. It showed the business with all employees not wearing masks.
He was questioned as to why he and they were not wearing masks. The guy said he won't and never will because covid is not real. It is not true. He said he never wears one and is a busy person around a lot of people and he is as healthy as a horse.
What's that about? There are many that believe this. They must believe in a conspiracy but what and if there is why and who is doing it?
I just don't get it
Do you?
Today a talk show said that unfortunately people that believe this way will have to be hit personally with it.
Well for a person who contracted it twice and had three family members die, I can say it is real. This person has been lucky, so far.

Upvote 0

SigurdReginson

Aug 4, 2020
PNW
✟45,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Well for a person who contracted it twice and had three family members die, I can say it is real. This person has been lucky, so far.

Yah... My uncle died from it, too. I think I've written on here previously about that.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Personally I'd like to see the numbers from a .gov site rather than what's behind a paywall. I'll have to try digging that up.

Not that it matters. Whatever I think about it, isn't going to change the situation any. And no matter what I think about it, I'll follow the rules and guidelines. I fasten my seatbelt even though I'm not expecting to get into an accident.
Will the CDC work?

Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yah... I do see a lot of patients without masks. As for covid patients, though, they are in isolation rooms. People can't even go in unless they gown up and wear CAPRs.
But there there are the people who aren’t there as COVID patients, just came in for something else and tested positive for COVID.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
piOZQ4L.png

I'm not good at math. What percentage is 26 million out of 7.8 billion?
0.3%

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's 1000 million in the US.
That's correct MMXX. The British adopted the American definition of a billion (1000 million) in the seventies. Though the confusion between the short scale billion and the long scale billion, still persists.

Upvote 0

SigurdReginson

Aug 4, 2020
PNW
✟45,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
But there there are the people who aren’t there as COVID patients, just came in for something else and tested positive for COVID.

True! We quarantine those into ISO rooms and often times they get moved to ICU so they can be kept under observation; especially if they are in a bad state.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Most people agree to the existence of it however there are many who aren't buying into the incessant fearmongering regarding it. What sets me off about it is there is no statistics that can be trusted nor any official that has taken the time to discuss the effectiveness of masks. Either they don't truly know or perhaps the numbers are not impressive and reassuring so they are not revealing them out of fear that people will stop wearing them and we may have a small increase in infections that would be attributed to not masking.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I remember someone somewhere posted some page that just had the total number of deaths for 2020, 2019, 2018 and so on. It's difficult to find something that's just plain numbers instead of being all about covid these days. I'm not necessarily looking specifically for a .gov page, but something more scientific than a news article. It's probably too early to get exact numbers for 2020 anyways. I'm not claiming there wasn't a significant increase, I'd just like to see what it is in plain numbers.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So have we convinced the doubters of the truth of covid?

Yep, there are Covid Deniers, just like there are Climate Deniers. The same kind of crazies who don't think there's going to be a climate apocalypse in the next few years, unless we do something to stop it. I remember that was going pretty heavy until Covid took over as the thing to be afraid of. Has anyone heard the name Greta Thunberg lately?

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I remember someone somewhere posted some page that just had the total number of deaths for 2020, 2019, 2018 and so on. It's difficult to find something that's just plain numbers instead of being all about covid these days. I'm not necessarily looking specifically for a .gov page, but something more scientific than a news article. It's probably too early to get exact numbers for 2020 anyways. I'm not claiming there wasn't a significant increase, I'd just like to see what it is in plain numbers.
The CDC webpage has exactly what you are looking for. It includes data on total deaths. The first graph I posted also had the numbers you are looking for.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The CDC webpage has exactly what you are looking for. It includes data on total deaths. The first graph I posted also had the numbers you are looking for.

I'm looking for something that just simply says something like:

Total deaths for 2019: 2,737,000
Total deaths for 2018: 2,569,000
Total deaths for 2017: 2,483,000

I did find a simple chart like that about a year ago, before everything revolved around Covid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Most people agree to the existence of it however there are many who aren't buying into the incessant fearmongering regarding it. What sets me off about it is there is no statistics that can be trusted nor any official that has taken the time to discuss the effectiveness of masks. Either they don't truly know or perhaps the numbers are not impressive and reassuring so they are not revealing them out of fear that people will stop wearing them and we may have a small increase in infections that would be attributed to not masking.
Statistics in Australia indicate that masks help, especially for medical staff. One of the reasons for a high initial death rate was lack of suitable PPE. That has been resolved. COVID is still a threat.

For those who are blase about the virus, I can tell you this much: people who did not contract the virus and died from it: zero. People who did not contract the virus and suffered ongoing ill effects: zero.

Maybe this will help:

A million lives lost, billions left worse off in its wake: The pandemic in 10 charts

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Statistics in Australia indicate that masks help, especially for medical staff. One of the reasons for a high initial death rate was lack of suitable PPE. That has been resolved. COVID is still a threat.

For those who are blase about the virus, I can tell you this much: people who did not contract the virus and died from it: zero. People who did not contract the virus and suffered ongoing ill effects: zero.

Maybe this will help:

A million lives lost, billions left worse off in its wake: The pandemic in 10 charts
I just don’t understand what’s so hard about wearing the mask. I think there’s some stigma behind the idea of wearing a mask generated by churches that believe it’s the mark. And other people just want their rights.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I just don’t understand what’s so hard about wearing the mask. I think there’s some stigma behind the idea of wearing a mask generated by churches that believe it’s the mark. And other people just want their rights.
I've never heard of Christians calling the mask the mark. It is an infringement on what few rights we have left. I hate wearing it. It's uncomfortable, especially in warm weather. I've worn a N95 mask. It's a form of torture. How the medicos put up with it, I don't know.

I wear the mask out of necessity and practicality. I'm even less impressed with the tracking when you go to a restaurant, for example. Big Brother really is watching. Wearing a mask is not going to change a thing. If anything, it will mess up the facial recognition cameras that abound now.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian

Maybe this will help:

Medical staff have masks that 99% of the public do NOT have so using their "suitable PPE" statistics is not relative at all. We have perhaps 100 million here wearing cheap 50 cent masks that would not be allowed for medical staff to wear. We are seeing doctors now saying that people should wear triple masks which to me mean single masks are perhaps 1/3 effective as normal masks are. The is no reason with so many masks being worn here that the virus is spreading like wildfire unless the mask effectiveness is over exaggerated as I cannot believe that most of the fault of the virus spread is people not wearing masks as it is about as high were masks are mandatory as where they are not which to me means masks aren't working that well.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Medical staff have masks that 99% of the public do NOT have so using their "suitable PPE" statistics is not relative at all. We have perhaps 100 million here wearing cheap 50 cent masks that would not be allowed for medical staff to wear. We are seeing doctors now saying that people should wear triple masks which to me mean single masks are perhaps 1/3 effective as normal masks are. The is no reason with so many masks being worn here that the virus is spreading like wildfire unless the mask effectiveness is over exaggerated as I cannot believe that most of the fault of the virus spread is people not wearing masks as it is about as high were masks are mandatory as where they are not which to me means masks aren't working that well.
Plainly a hospital setting is much higher risk than the general population, so they need better masks and face shields etc. Most of Australia's COVID deaths were in Victoria, where I live. The early response was pretty ordinary. Since those days, the infection rate dropped dramatically.

Masks are only a part of the answer. If nothing else, they remind people that COVID should be taken seriously. Boris Johnson would agree. Nothing like a dose of the virus to bring people to reality. Death is an even better reminder, but the victim probably would not agree.

Upvote 0