What commandments is Jesus talking about?

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don’t see anyone saying we must keep the law to be saved. What I see is everyone saying we cannot disregard God’s commandments and expect to receive salvation.
I'm sorry that you don't.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟896,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Christian has already passed the judgment and passed in to eternal life - JN 5:24.

If you want to discuss the following passages you posted, feel free to do so.

Notice the definition of the Greek word translated to “believeth” the first 3 definitions all have a number 1 in front of them indicating that all three definitions are included in the primary definition.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

believeth

G4100

G4100

Lemma:

πιστεύω

Transliteration:

pisteúō

Pronounce:

pist-yoo'-o

Part of Speech:

Verb

Language:

greek

Description:

1) to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in a) of the thing believed

1) to credit, have confidence b) in a moral or religious reference

1) used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul

2) to trust in Jesus or God as able to aid either in obtaining or in doing something: saving faith

3) mere acknowledgment of some fact or event: intellectual faith

2) to entrust a thing to one, i.e. his fidelity a) to be intrusted with a thing

Notice the definition of the word “faith” also implies faithfulness, trustworthiness, and fidelity.

faith

G4102

G4102

Lemma:

πίστις

Transliteration:

pístis

Pronounce:

pis'-tis

Part of Speech:

Noun Feminine

Language:

greek

Description:

1) conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it a) relating to God

1) the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ b) relating to Christ

1) a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God c) the religious beliefs of Christians d) belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same

2) fidelity, faithfulness a) the character of one who can be relied on

Grammar:

from πείθω; persuasion, i.e. credence; moral conviction (of religious truth, or the truthfulness of God or a religious teacher), especially reliance upon Christ for salvation; abstractly, constancy in such profession; by extension, the system of religious (Gospel) truth itself:--assurance, belief, believe, faith, fidelity.

Notice the definition of the word “believer” also implies the same.

believers

G4103

G4103

Lemma:

πιστός

Transliteration:

pistós

Pronounce:

pis-tos'

Part of Speech:

Adjective

Language:

greek

Description:

1) trusty, faithful a) of persons who show themselves faithful in the transaction of business, the execution of commands, or the discharge of official duties b) one who kept his plighted faith, worthy of trust c) that can be relied on

2) easily persuaded a) believing, confiding, trusting b) in the NT one who trusts in God's promises

1) one who is convinced that Jesus has been raised from the dead

2) one who has become convinced that Jesus is the Messiah and author of salvation

Grammar:

from πείθω; objectively, trustworthy; subjectively, trustful:--believe(-ing, -r), faithful(-ly), sure, true.

The passages I quoted indicate that the modern definition of the word believe is incorrect and that the Greek definitions of the word pistis, pisteuo, and pistos all imply faithfulness, trustworthiness, and fidelity which could be summed up by devotion. This is what the church has taught since the very beginning of Christianity and the early church writings reflect this teaching.

• Informative
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You're trying to say anytime Jesus opened His mouth and quoted the law He is requiring Christians (His disciples) to keep the law
No. That's not what I'm saying at all.

I'm not referring to rule-keeping at all. That's my point. "The Law" merely means the first five books of Scripture. It points to Jesus. It proclaims God's desire to "dwell with His people" from the very beginning. Not IF humanity follows His rules (because we can see - especially in the OT - how miserably humanity can fail and did)....yet God still followed through with His promises.

Unless a person actually studies the OT, though, they aren't going to grasp the extravagant love He has demonstrated for us - nor His sovereignty (which provokes trust and fidelity).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Which if any of these passages promote the keeping of the law for the Christian?
All. Every single one of them.

"The Law" is love. That's the message from Genesis to Revelation. That's the message Jesus was incarnated to deliver and demonstrate. Ironically - while you're railing against rule-keeping - you also don't seem to be able to let go of the idea. IOW - you seem to fail to recognize there's an alternative to rule-keeping. To "abide in His love" isn't checking tasks off a list. Remember 1 Corinthians 13? If we do all these things - yet don't have love - it's worthless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Jesus discussed the law with those of His day. In those discussions Jesus did quote the law. You're trying to say anytime Jesus opened His mouth and quoted the law He is requiring Christians (His disciples) to keep the law.
As I've already posted - the first testament isn't about a "to-do" list for mankind. It's about God, His purpose for humanity, and His desire to dwell with us for eternity.

I'm not referring to rule-keeping. Or requirements.

When Jesus spoke, He typically led His audience back to the first testament (of which they would pick up on certain phrases). When He used the phrase "Son of Man", He was pointing them back to a specific prophecy....when He spoke in the Synagogue (recorded in Luke 4) He quoted Isaiah's passage about the anointed One bringing Good News to the poor, that captives will be released, that the blind will see, that the oppressed will be set free, and that the time of the Lord’s favor has come....when He cleared the Temple both times, He was acting as High Priest (and those that witnessed these things were aware - because they knew Leviticus)....He spoke of resurrection, and referred back to the first testament (recorded in Matthew 22:31–32, Mark 12:26, 27, Luke 20:37-38)......when Jesus said, “Go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.’ For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners” (recorded in Matthew 9:13) He was quoting Hosea 6:6 (which states: "I want you to show love, not offer sacrifices. I want you to know me more than I want burnt offerings"). "Go and learn" was the practice of their day to study Scripture - one lived it...they literally mimicked their Rabbis way of living. Jesus was encouraging them - I believe - to "walk in the ways of love" as God had always wanted. Jesus quoted from the prophet Malachi (Malachi 3) to demonstrate that John the Baptizer was a messenger of the Lord that was prophesied. He also quoted the Psalms a great deal - like Psalm 110, Psalm 118:22-23, 26; Psalm 57:1; Psalm 61:4; Psalm 82:6-7.

So....ISTM....that His quotations were to, first, grab their attention (kind of like how, in our modern day, a specific musical melody can ring familiar or how we can recognize a line from a song) - and then to give them the true meaning of those passages. And, maybe the most important, to proclaim that He was their Messiah.

Again.....none of that is about rule-keeping (but it's in reference to the OT). Clearly, you're misunderstanding my posts, if you believe I'm posting about requirements. I believe God desires for us to love Him freely. Love isn't even love if it's under compulsion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
BNR32FAN said:
I don’t see anyone saying we must keep the law to be saved. What I see is everyone saying we cannot disregard God’s commandments and expect to receive salvation.
Exactly.

I guess a person needs to consider what the word "salvation" even means to begin to understand that.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by sharing this?

To me, it seems like it's similar to showing that - just prior to the year 2000 - people were storing up supplies for impending doom or some sort of apocalypse. The fact that there are groups of people that are following misguided teaching doesn't prove the validity of the teaching itself (or that it's mainstream). It just proves that people can be misled....and often ARE. It also proves that there are extremists in all religious groups. That's ONE group of people that call themselves "Jews". Would you appreciate it if people used the Westboro Baptist group to define all of Christianity? Or am I misunderstanding your point?

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
NTL why you think it's important for everyone to know that is beyond me. What is recorded in Acts is enough for me. Salvation is by faith.
Because you had posted that the OT never mentions anything about eternal life.

And you also posted:

Not a single thing in the NT promotes the law
...."the Law" isn't commandments. It's the only Scripture God's people had prior to the writings of the New Testament. The entire NT "promotes" it (but you seem to want to toss it all away). My point has been that it's critical for us, as Christians. It's part of God's history with His people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by sharing this?

To me, it seems like it's similar to showing that - just prior to the year 2000 - people were storing up supplies for impending doom or some sort of apocalypse. The fact that there are groups of people that are following misguided teaching doesn't prove the validity of the teaching itself (or that it's mainstream).

You got it.

If you can find anything in the Bible about twirling a chicken over your head, we would all like to see it.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Really? You don't even reference any NT passages and refer to Hillel, not Yeshua (Jesus). I just don't see your claim validating you follow Jesus.

You don't see much do you.... Here is that quote again...does it sound familiar?

“What is hateful to you do not do to your neighbor.”

Leviticus 19:18 ?????????????????
Matthew 7:12 ???????????????????
Luke 6:31 ??????????????????????
Luke 10:25-28 ?????????????????????

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You got it.

If you can find anything in the Bible about twirling a chicken over your head, we would all like to see it.

I'm still confused. I'm fairly certain there's no one in this thread that believes there is anything about that in the Bible. If that book you mentioned is about this small group featured in that video - then I believe the author is misrepresenting mainstream Judaism (which, IMO, shouldn't even be brought into this discussion as we're talking about Jesus' day and ancient Judaism. It muddies the waters to bring in modern beliefs and groups of people). That just seems off topic to me. It seems this topic is difficult enough on its own - there shouldn't be extraneous issues brought in, too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You got it.

Again, so what? What was your point regarding this on the discussion we were having? That some Jews have strange practices? Some Christians do too...

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
IOW you're prevented from keeping the law. You must do all of it if you do any of it.

That is because you don't understand it. NOBODY, not even Yeshua can keep ALL of it...because ALL of it does not and can not pertain to any one person.

• Useful
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, so what? What was your point regarding this on the discussion we were having? That some Jews have strange practices? Some Christians do too...

The point is that some of us are following the same source of "truth" that they are following. (Babylonian Talmud)

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is because you don't understand it. NOBODY, not even Yeshua can keep ALL of it...because ALL of it does not and can not pertain to any one person.

Heb 9:15 And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.

• Winner
Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Heb 9:15 And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.

Yeshua is the mediator of the NC. I already know this.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The point is that some of us are following the same source of "truth" that they are following. (Babylonian Talmud)

Again, you are just repeating the same thing...nothing new. Go back to reading your conspiracy theorist neo-Nazi swill...

Here is that quote again...does it sound familiar?

“What is hateful to you do not do to your neighbor.”

Leviticus 19:18 ?????????????????
Matthew 7:12 ???????????????????
Luke 6:31 ??????????????????????
Luke 10:25-28 ?????????????????????

Last edited:
Upvote 0