What commandments is Jesus talking about?

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think anyone is promoting killing people on this forum.
Teaching people to disobey any of God’s commandments is promoting lawlessness.

There are plenty of people living lawless lives that don’t promote murder.

• Agree
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

....or, just to add to that, there are those that promote lawlessness (and people that actually live lawless lives) that are NOT breaking our civil laws. Although they may remain within the external margins (doing all the "right things") - they may have gone far outside the lines in their hearts and minds.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

That is the point I am making; who on CF said that you can murder or commit adultery?

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That is the point I am making; who on CF said that you can murder or commit adultery?
Is that all you see as the instruction we are to follow in order to be followers of Christ? To not murder and/or not commit adultery?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Is that all you see as the instruction we are to follow in order to be followers of Christ? To not murder and/or not commit adultery?
That is not the point that I am making.

I was asking for evidence that people on CF promote lawless behavior. The accusation was made that people on CF tell people to break the law, I have never witnessed that instruction myself.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That is not the point that I am making.

I was asking for evidence that people on CF promote lawless behavior. The accusation was made that people on CF tell people to break the law, I have never witnessed that instruction myself.
Lawnessness =/= breaking the civil law.

It's been inferred in this thread that the entire Old Testament - along with the ten commandments - are NOT necessary, that they've been tossed out along with the Old Covenant as "null and void" (I believe is the accusation that's being made) as part of the covenant made at Sinai.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
OK, I take this as instruction to keep my mouth shut and my fingers off the keyboard and go along with anything and everything. After all it's love to say yes and hate to say no. I'm sorry but I love the truth and you seem to love the IC in its various flavors. I don hate the IC, I just can't accept what is going on and being taught. So God bless your religious heart and I'll take Jesus.
No one - especially me - is suggesting that it's love to say yes and hate to say no. What's the IC? And what are you talking about when you say that you "can't accept what's going on and being taught"? This is such a cryptic post.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lawnessness =/= breaking the civil law.

It's been inferred in this thread that the entire Old Testament - along with the ten commandments - are NOT necessary, that they've been tossed out along with the Old Covenant as "null and void" (I believe is the accusation that's being made) as part of the covenant made at Sinai.

2Co 3:6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
2Co 3:7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away,
2Co 3:8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious?

Heb 8:6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises.
Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
2Co 3:6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
2Co 3:7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away,
2Co 3:8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious?

Heb 8:6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises.
Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second.

I'm well familiar with those passages - now, in your own words - please explain to me what's changed about the instruction. What was burdensome and oppressive about the commandments given at Mt Sinai? What's "the ministry of death"? In your words - not just quoting me Scripture. What brings freedom in the New Covenant? That seems to be where we're hung up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Who said that anybody said that?
You stated so in your post 1281, here is what you said below Dkh587.
Now I want to know why you would say this without citing the people, that tell people to disobey commandments.

I have never seen anyone on CF telling people to break or disobey any commandments.

• Agree
Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Now I want to know why you would say this without citing the people, that tell people to disobey commandments.

I have never seen anyone on CF telling people to break or disobey any commandments.
Yes or no:

Do you teach people to keep the Sabbath, as commanded by God in Exodus 20:8-10?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes or no:

Do you teach people to keep the Sabbath, as commanded by God in Exodus 20:8-10?
Gentiles in Acts 15 were not commanded to adhere to Sabbath law. Gentiles were never under the law and that is the reason why they are not circumcised also.

I am fully adherent to the commandments that Jesus gave us, I am not bound to the law of Moses.

I am not bound by the health laws of Moses.
I am not bound by the civil law of Moses.
I am not bound by the priesthood of Aaron.
I do not recognize the authority of the seat of Moses in my Christian life.
I am not bound by any holy days, or festivals.
I do not make offerings.
I do not sacrifice.
I disregard the new moon celebration.
I do not build altars.
I will never attend the temple or partake of a temple service.
I do not recognize the Jews as still the chosen people of God.

The law in it's entirety does not cover the Gentiles.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I'm certainly not trying to speak for Dkh587 - but I believe what is being referred to are the posts (that have no personal commentary - just throwing out verses) and seem to be promoting this idea that the ten commandments themselves are "the ministry of death" even though - also in the Old Testament - it's stated that His instruction; His commandments; His precepts bring joy and life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Gentiles in Acts 15 were not commanded to adhere to Sabbath law. Gentiles were never under the law and that is the reason why they are not circumcised also.

I am fully adherent to the commandments that Jesus gave us, I am not bound to the law of Moses.

I do not make offerings.
I do not sacrifice.
I do not build altars.
I do not recognize the Jews as still the chosen people of God.

The law in it's entirety does not cover the Gentiles.
So the answer is NO, you do not teach obedience to God’s commandment to keep the Sabbath holy.

This means you teach people to disobey God. Teaching disobedience to God = teaching lawlessness. The Apostles did not teach disobedience/lawlessness, and Acts 15:21 witnesses that the grafted-in Gentiles kept the Sabbath.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This means you teach people to disobey God. Teaching disobedience to God = teaching lawlessness. The Apostles did not teach disobedience/lawlessness, and Acts 15:21 witnesses that the grafted-in Gentiles kept the Sabbath.
Okay - I WAS misunderstanding you, then.

@klutedavid is NOT teaching disobedience to God. He's correct. No one is under those rules any longer. All of this has passed away (along with the Temple/Levitical priesthood):

I do not make offerings.
I do not sacrifice.
I do not build altars.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Acts 15:21 witnesses that the grafted-in Gentiles kept the Sabbath.
What gets confusing is that Paul wrote what's recorded for us in Acts prior to the destruction of the Temple. With the new understanding of the New Covenant being ushered in - and the Judaizer's trying to tear the Gentiles away from Paul's teaching - it was a confusing transition time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Anybody here or anywhere else teaching people to disobey God’s commandments is advocating LAW-lessness.

Christ was teaching the commandments with the correct understanding. He wasn’t doing away with them - he already told us he didn’t come to do away/destroy/cancel/void the law in Matthew 5:17.

The commandments of Christ aren’t lawlessness, because he wasn’t teaching us to disobey God’s law. It’s people on this board that are promoting and encouraging lawlessness/disobedience to God’s law.
The pro grace people here are promoting the covenant they participate in. We don't promote wickedness as you claim.

Upvote 0