Manitoba, Canada
✟15,133.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I know this is not something that someone can tell me for sure, but I am looking for opinions and advice.

I was raised Catholic and was very loyal to the Church for a long time, to the point when I would turn a blind eye on its shortcomings. But now I am beginning to see that there are some things about the Catholic church that do not sit right with me. I believe for some people it is great but not for me.

I believe that Jesus needs to be the centre of our lives. We need to have a personal relationship with him but I also think that people do not NEED to go to Church all the time or read the Bible on a regular basis to go to Heaven -- they can believe in the idea of Jesus and be good people and still be saved.

I think that anyone, man or woman, should be able to lead the church, and I think Church leaders should be allowed to marry, or else how can they lead their members who are going through marital problems?

I also think a Church should accomodate many people -- not have so many rules and dos and donts. But to temper that I do like some tradition, and modern things like Christian rock bands turn me off. I like more traditional hyms than gospel songs.

I am confused as to what Church I should look to. I know it doesn't really matter as long as I follow Christ but I want to be active in a Church and am wondering which one I should try. Thanks and please say a prayer for me that I find a Church that fits with me and my walk with Christ. Blessings to all!

Galatians 2:21

Saved by Grace
Jan 25, 2010
Columbus, OH
✟15,238.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe a true and deep fellowship (sharing about your life with others and hearing about their lives) is the reason for the church. It doesn't matter a whole lot what traditions and styles you prefer, as long as there is a good fellowship. If you find a church that people don't stick around long after a church session, and don't meet togeather on their own time outside of church, then there is not a good fellowship in that church. We benefit the most from fellowship than any other aspect of church, because every other aspect of church can be done alone (learning about the Bible, singing hymns, worshiping, etc.)

A revolutionary idea (not really because it was in the New Testament) is to have your church consist of a small group of people getting togeather for a Bible study. You end up learning a lot more about the passage because people can ask questions and add their own thoughts. It is also a more confortable environment to have fellowship with one another, and serve each other. Just a thought!

Upvote 0

Mandoose

Jan 28, 2010
Manitoba, Canada
✟15,133.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Almighty God, Lead your child to the place where he can move closer to You and receive your gift of Salvation. Amen

I appreciate your prayer, but with all due respect, I already have recieved the gift of Salvation. I was raised a Christian and have accepted Jesus into my heart.

Upvote 0

toolite

Jul 1, 2008
Orlando, Florida
✟5,058.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know this is not something that someone can tell me for sure, but I am looking for opinions and advice.

I was raised Catholic and was very loyal to the Church for a long time, to the point when I would turn a blind eye on its shortcomings. But now I am beginning to see that there are some things about the Catholic church that do not sit right with me. I believe for some people it is great but not for me.

I believe that Jesus needs to be the centre of our lives. We need to have a personal relationship with him but I also think that people do not NEED to go to Church all the time or read the Bible on a regular basis to go to Heaven -- they can believe in the idea of Jesus and be good people and still be saved.

I think that anyone, man or woman, should be able to lead the church, and I think Church leaders should be allowed to marry, or else how can they lead their members who are going through marital problems?

I also think a Church should accomodate many people -- not have so many rules and dos and donts. But to temper that I do like some tradition, and modern things like Christian rock bands turn me off. I like more traditional hyms than gospel songs.

I am confused as to what Church I should look to. I know it doesn't really matter as long as I follow Christ but I want to be active in a Church and am wondering which one I should try. Thanks and please say a prayer for me that I find a Church that fits with me and my walk with Christ. Blessings to all!

I would just visit churches and the one you feel love and comfortable in would be a great start. Then the one where you can see God doing things in your life is the church for you. Stay Blessed!

All The Glory Belongs To God Forever!

Upvote 0

Duckybill

Jul 31, 2007
✟3,250.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Stay home and read your Bible.

Upvote 0

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is that why we have thousands of 'Christian' churches that all believe differently?
LOL!

Accountability is not about running to a MAN for doctrine, but in being held accountable for our walk of FAITH;

1 Samuel 3:2-10
2 And it came to pass at that time, when Eli was laid down in his place, and his eyes began to wax dim, that he could not see;
3 And ere the lamp of God went out in the temple of the LORD, where the ark of God was, and Samuel was laid down to sleep;
4 That the LORD called Samuel: and he answered, Here am I.
5 And he ran unto Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou calledst me. And he said, I called not; lie down again. And he went and lay down.
6 And the LORD called yet again, Samuel. And Samuel arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And he answered, I called not, my son; lie down again.
7 Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD, neither was the word of the LORD yet revealed unto him.
8 And the LORD called Samuel again the third time. And he arose and went to Eli, and said, Here am I; for thou didst call me. And Eli perceived that the LORD had called the child.
9 Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he call thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, LORD; for thy servant heareth. So Samuel went and lay down in his place. 10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

God speaks with each person personally, for each person is personally created to be the object of His affections in Christ Jesus.

We are each unique.

And we EACH bear the gifting God.

We are not meant to be an island, but together we make up one Body, even Christ's should we believe. :)

Upvote 0

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wait on the Lord and He will guide you.

I pray you wait on the Lord, amen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 21, 2009
✟17,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I was raised a Roman Catholic but left the church about age 21 after a near-death experience. About age 31, I became born-again and started attending a non-Denominational Word-Faith Church. After the church lost its way, we (my wife and I) attended a number of church's; Southern Baptist, Assemblies of God, non-Denominational and many others. Based on what you wrote, you might want to stay with more traditional church's like Lutheran and Presbyterian. The music might be more appealing to you. My wife was brought up as a Protestant so she's familiar with all the traditional hymns. I remember some of the Catholic hymns our choir sung and they're totally different. Funny, I would have thought there would be some crossover. Whether in church or on the road, I really appreciate today's CCM.

Upvote 0

ashout

As Tall as Goliath and as fearsome too!
Oct 27, 2009
Home
✟10,056.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I go to two baptist church's, and they are worlds apart. one sings traditional hymns, the other contemporary music, one is large and the people don't mingle, the other you will be greeted and befriended immediatly, one preache's on how to get out of debt, the other preach's on old testement as well as new. What I'm saying is, even though their both called BAPTIST they are completely different, so the best way to find a church for you will be to visit each one until you find one you like.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ambrosius

Sep 6, 2009
✟15,655.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Read up on the kinds of churches around you, visit those that sound like they are good, and see where God draws you. Pray to God about it.

One thing, you should read the bible as much as possible because it's good to learn. Every time I read it, even if I'm reading the same thing for the tenth or whatever time, I understand something new in it, I realize another dimension to the teachings in it. It is impossible to know everything the bible contains with it, even just one book: No matter how well we think we know it there is more to learn.

Upvote 0

jonathan180iq

Feb 1, 2010
✟15,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am confused as to what Church I should look to.

Above all things, find a church that preaches from the Bible. Denomination is not nearly as important as focus on Christ and His community. Second, that church should have expanding minstry. A church that doesn't expand the Kingdom isn't really doing anything but getting a pep talk one day per week. It's like practicing for a game that you never go to.

Upvote 0