What can we know for sure 100% and what can we not know 100%?

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In that I’m starting to realize that there is more that I don’t know compared to what I do know. What would the Church say about this question?

in reference to this:

One day some old men came to see Abba Anthony. In the midst of them was Abba Joseph. Wanting to test them, the old man suggested a text from the Scriptures, and, beginning with the youngest, he asked them what it meant. Each gave his opinion as he was able. But to each one the old man said, “You have not understood it.” Last of all he said to Abba Joseph, “How would you explain this saying?” and he replied, “I do not know.” Then Abba Anthony said, “Indeed, Abba Joseph has found the way, for he has said: ‘I do not know.'””

Last edited:

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In that I’m starting to realize that there is more that I don’t know compared to what I do know. What would the Church say about this question?

God can make it known in a way that can erase doubt

Upvote 0

Andrei D

Feb 13, 2018
Charlotte, NC
✟76,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure what you are referring to: scientific / natural knowledge or knowledge about the faith?

Regardless, I am 100% certain ;) that the Church reminds us to be humble above all.

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
God can make it known in a way that can erase doubt
Mainly in reference to this...?
One day some old men came to see Abba Anthony. In the midst of them was Abba Joseph. Wanting to test them, the old man suggested a text from the Scriptures, and, beginning with the youngest, he asked them what it meant. Each gave his opinion as he was able. But to each one the old man said, “You have not understood it.” Last of all he said to Abba Joseph, “How would you explain this saying?” and he replied, “I do not know.” Then Abba Anthony said, “Indeed, Abba Joseph has found the way, for he has said: ‘I do not know.'””

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am not sure what you are referring to: scientific / natural knowledge or knowledge about the faith?

Regardless, I am 100% certain ;) that the Church reminds us to be humble above all.
In reference to this: “One day some old men came to see Abba Anthony. In the midst of them was Abba Joseph. Wanting to test them, the old man suggested a text from the Scriptures, and, beginning with the youngest, he asked them what it meant. Each gave his opinion as he was able. But to each one the old man said, “You have not understood it.” Last of all he said to Abba Joseph, “How would you explain this saying?” and he replied, “I do not know.” Then Abba Anthony said, “Indeed, Abba Joseph has found the way, for he has said: ‘I do not know.'””

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Mainly in reference to this...?

yep, our opinions don’t matter on theological issues

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Could you explain more here? I’m not totally understanding what you’re trying to get across.

God is the only one who can illumine us with 100% guarantee

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
God is the only one who can illumine us with 100% guarantee
So, just for a hyperbolic question to try to parse out what I’m trying to figure out here... can I not trust that the dogmas are true?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, just for a hyperbolic question to try to parse out what I’m trying to figure out here... can I not trust that the dogmas are true?

you can, since they are revealed by God.

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
you can, since they are revealed by God.
So, going further, can I trust all of what is said by the Holy Fathers and the Saints? If that is the case... what should one not trust?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, going further, can I trust all of what is said by the Holy Fathers and the Saints? If that is the case... what should one not trust?

you can, but you need to understand them with the mind of the Church

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private

in reference to this:

Sweet. I love this.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Nathaniel Red

Mar 16, 2020
VA
✟46,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I like to think of it where all earthly truth: logic, history, etc. Is like a ladder which brings us closer to God. But after a certain point the ladder will always end like the tower of babel and the impossibility of unreasoning will descend upon us such that the only option left will be to take hold of the the true divine ladder which never ends, and deny ourselves completely.

Upvote 0