What Are Your Top 5 Scientific Proofs That Creationists Cannot Dispute?

• Thread starter xXThePrimeDirectiveXx
  • Start date

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Holding science to the standard of religious dogma is a lower standard than evidence.

Not hardly --- this "religious dogma" --- as you call it --- proves Itself with mathematical accuracy.

Upvote 0

lemmings

Veteran
Nov 5, 2006
California
✟18,469.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Not hardly --- this "religious dogma" --- as you call it --- proves Itself with mathematical accuracy.
You mean like that time when you figured that the Bible had a lower than 50% (I think that I was closer to 35%) success rate when it came to fulfilling prophecies, many of which where likely written after the event that they ‘foretold’ already occurred?

Upvote 0
F

Firikon21

Mathematical accuracy you say?

I Chronicles 3:22
The sons of Shemaiah: Huttush, Igal, Bariah, Neriah, and Shaphat, six.

Ooops god, there's five there. Sure messed that one up didn't you?

Joshua 15:33-36
And in the lowland, Eshtaol, Zorah, Ashnah, Zanoah, Engannim, Tappuah, Enam, Jarmuth, Adullam, Socoh, Azekah, Shaaraim, Adithaim, Gederah, Gederothaim: fourteen cities with their villages.

Here God goes again! Isn't that 15 villages god, not 14? Oops! That silly counting! Omniscience is one thing, counting is quite another apparently.

1Chronicles 25:3
Of Jeduthun, the sons of Jeduthun: Gedaliah, and Zeri, and Jeshaiah, Hashabiah, and Mattithiah [with Shimei, mentioned], six, under the hand of their father Jeduthun, who prophesied with a harp to give thanks and to praise the LORD.

Five, god, five.

But remember children, the Bible is mathematically accurate!

Upvote 0

birdan

Jan 20, 2006
✟15,831.00
Faith
Seeker
We Christians hold science to a higher Standard than even scientists do --- the Bible. We have much more respect for science than any Atheist does.

Is that so? Just because you can't explain it correctly in scientific terms like we can, doesn't mean it's "anti-science".
Bad, Av, bad. It's against the rules to make up personal definitions of words (like science). Words have a common usage and in using those words you should adhere to that usage. Don't use the word 'science' - make up your own word. How about "mumbocadabra"?

Now that's funny --- seeing as how the Internet is mentioned in the Bible.

[bible]Job 38:35[/bible]
Oh wow! And all this time I thought it was a divine prophesy of the invention of the telegraph!

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mathematical accuracy you say?

I Chronicles 3:22
The sons of Shemaiah: Huttush, Igal, Bariah, Neriah, and Shaphat, six.

You left some of that verse out ---

[bible]1 Chronicles 3:22[/bible]

What version was that, by the way? I checked several, and not one was written the way you wrote it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FishFace

Senior Veteran
Jan 12, 2007
✟13,130.00
Faith
Atheist
Check again --- you might learn something.

Lightning occurs when the potential difference between either the cloud and ground, or two clouds, overcomes the dielectric strength of air, causing a rapid drop in resistance. The lightning phenomenon that we see is caused by electrons excited in the process dropping back to rest state and releasing light as they do so.

The internet, on the other hand, is a communications system built using various methods. One is electricity, which uses the flow of electrons through conducting wires. Another is optic fibre, which uses the total internal reflection of light through a transparent cable. Neither of these involve the dielectric breakdown of air, and subsequent emission of light by excited electrons.

Today, AV, you have learned something. Try not to forget it.

Upvote 0

Chalnoth

Senior Contributor
Aug 14, 2006
Italy
✟28,653.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Lightning occurs when the potential difference between either the cloud and ground, or two clouds, overcomes the dielectric strength of air, causing a rapid drop in resistance. The lightning phenomenon that we see is caused by electrons excited in the process dropping back to rest state and releasing light as they do so.

The internet, on the other hand, is a communications system built using various methods. One is electricity, which uses the flow of electrons through conducting wires. Another is optic fibre, which uses the total internal reflection of light through a transparent cable. Neither of these involve the dielectric breakdown of air, and subsequent emission of light by excited electrons.

Just as a little FYI, lightning doesn't actually overcome the dielectric strength of air for its entire path: it makes hops and jumps from one ionized patch in the air to another. Where do the ionized patches in the air come from? Cosmic rays bombard atoms in the atmosphere, ionizing them. What basically happens is that both the source and the destination emit something like a bush of lightning, spreading outward, hopping between the ionized pockets, and ionizing the air in their wake. When one of the 'branches' of a bush hit a 'branch' from the other, a connection is established, and the full force of the lightning is able to pass back and forth between source and destination.

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

LeeC

Aug 11, 2007
✟16,130.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Evolution is a theory... it is possible to disprove it. This has not happened. It is therefore a very good theory.

The young Earth creationists have nothing but faith, it is impossible to disprove them, and they cannot explain it to themselves. They certain cannot explain their position about from “Well, I do not understand your science, so it must be God”

They ignore evidence if it does not fit into their "worldview" - it is sad but true.

They have no evidence to back up their claims. Science is able to answer much of what we see in the universe today - what it cannot, science is working on. (So the creationist will attack the gaps of course.)

It is like the captain of a sinking ship. They shout, "All is well, nothing is happening here, we are not sinking." As their feet are getting wet.

The rest of the Christians have understood that evolution is correct and have jump ship to save themselves.

Good luck… and may God bless all who sail in her!

Lee

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Ya --- I learned you conveniently left out the last part of that verse.

I don't need a lecture on lightning, I need you to explain the latter part of that verse.

And "the language of the times", while you're at it.

You want to lecture me --- lecture me --- but please don't cherry pick.

(You too, MrGoodBytes.)

Upvote 0

FishFace

Senior Veteran
Jan 12, 2007
✟13,130.00
Faith
Atheist
Just as a little FYI, lightning doesn't actually overcome the dielectric strength of air for its entire path: it makes hops and jumps from one ionized patch in the air to another. Where do the ionized patches in the air come from? Cosmic rays bombard atoms in the atmosphere, ionizing them. What basically happens is that both the source and the destination emit something like a bush of lightning, spreading outward, hopping between the ionized pockets, and ionizing the air in their wake. When one of the 'branches' of a bush hit a 'branch' from the other, a connection is established, and the full force of the lightning is able to pass back and forth between source and destination.

I love this forum... :thumbsup:

Actually, no, I love being places where physicists will tell me random physics facts, since I no longer do physics (too boring, at A level, anyway - in the UK they have this crazy idea that you can do physics without taking maths, so the entire physics course has to be taught without calculus. Nuts.) it's nice to get these little tidbits!

Upvote 0

FishFace

Senior Veteran
Jan 12, 2007
✟13,130.00
Faith
Atheist

I don't need a lecture on lightning, I need you to explain the latter part of that verse.

(You too, MrGoodBytes.)

What? You're still trying to claim that the internet involves sending lightning, and having the lightning somehow communicate with people.

The internet doesn't use lightning, and lightning can't communicate. (Nor can it be used for communication - either natural lightning or man-made sparks - it would be pointless.)

The fact that you're trying to claim the Bible references the internet when the verse, taken in context, is clearly about God's power, not a prediction of some future technology. If it were reference to the internet, we obviously now have a power of God. Cool!

EDIT: AV always goes on about how if you can't interpret Genesis properly, you've got no chance with the rest of the Bible. Little did he know the truth of his words - when anyone, like AV does here, tries to read too much into the Bible, treats it as infallible and predictive of all sorts of things, you get this nonsense.

Upvote 0

MrGoodBytes

Seeker for life, probably
Mar 4, 2006
✟22,772.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

(You too, MrGoodBytes.)
Oh, that's grand. You claim that a verse about God sending lightning is a prophecy about the internet (because lightning = electrons in a wire, as we all know), and then accuse us of cherry picking. .

Reactions: FishFace
Upvote 0

Brennin

Wielder of the Holy Cudgel of Faith
Aug 2, 2005
California
Visit site
✟10,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'd stay right away from scientific debates. Most of the time, creationists are arguing outdated or utterly incorrect versions of evolutionary theory. It's like trying to debate advanced algebra with someone who thinks that 1+1=3. It's a waste of time.

Instead, I'd focus on this: real-world evolution. In particular, the fact that evolution has practical (including commerical) application. This is something no creationist has ever addressed. Indeed, they prefer to completely ignore this. I would suggest Googling "comparative genomics" and "phylogenomics". Heck, just read up bioinformatics in general.

ETA: A few articles:

Evolutionary Biology: Technology for the 21st Century
Evolutionary biology and the national research agenda (outdated but good)
Applied Evolution (requires subscribed access; you could probably do it through a university or library)

Something else I would recommend paying attention to is the funding for evolutionary based science specifically related to biotech, as well as political initiatives in relation to biotech businesses (typically state-level). There's a whole world of applied evolutionary science out there, which creationists have no clue about. Quite frankly, it puts the whole "debate" into perspective. And I guarantee they won't be able to much more than duck and dodge this stuff.

How much of this 'applied evolution' you have in mind consists of bacteria evolving into new strains or the like? (As if that were in dispute.) The real bone of contention is not that allele frequencies change over time, but that humans are evolved apes. How has that concept helped your research, especially in light of the fact that chimps react quite differently to common diseases?

Upvote 0