California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Has anyone else read The Goldfinch? It's one of my most beloved books ever. It was a friend to me when I was sick and felt disconnected from my life. It kept me company the whole time and lifted my spirits. It made what would have been unbearable bearable. Today the movie adaptation of it is out!!!! I'm extremely excited!

Fizzle.

I was on vacation when the movie adaptation of The Goldfinch was released and by the time I returned it was already out of the theaters because it had immediately sunk to the bottom of the box office. The book is incredibly long, and so unsurprisingly the movie was as well and that didn't sit well with audiences who got restless. Fans of the book were disappointed with it because despite the length of the movie, it had to leave some important aspects out.

I'm still going to watch it when it comes out on HBO / Redbox in the future, and I can just pause it and take breaks instead of having to sit there for an eternity.

I'd read that the original plan was to make it into a miniseries, which I think would have been much better because then the whole book could be represented in chapters at a time.

I still recommend the book!!!! It's not classified as a YA novel but feels like it could be. It follows the protagonist Theo from his preteen years into his 20s.

• Friendly
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Also! On the topic of adaptations! One of my absolute most beloved books in the entire history of my life is now a Hulu series!!!!! Looking for Alaska by the brilliant John Green. I love him. I love him. I love him. I love his brother Hank, too! They have this fantastic YouTube channel that you must check out.

I haven't yet watched the series but definitely plan to during my next break.

• Friendly
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon is delightful.

I have two more finals to knock out this week, and then once my head emerges from above the sea of stress I plan to read On the Come Up by Angie Thomas. She is the author of one of my most beloved books of all time, The Hate U Give. I feel like I could implode from excitement because I cannot wait to read it.

If you haven't read Education by Tara Westover yet, you absolutely must!

For non-fiction, Ronan Farrow's Catch and Kill is extraordinary, though it punches your heart and will set a fire of fury in your mind at how sexual assault victims were treated by some of the most powerful and prominent in society, and more infuriating, the elaborate measures taken to protect the perpetrators and gaslight the victims. Know My Name by Channel Miller, who was previously known as Emily Doe during the prosecution of Brock Turner "the Stanford Rapist" for sexually assaulting her, is also exquisitely written, beautiful, enraging, and heartbreaking, but most of us inspiring because she has a star of hope within her that never fades. I am so incredibly proud of her. I cried so much reading these books I kept tissues on hand. The Education of an Idealist by former Ambassador to the UN Samantha Power is also phenomenal. She spoke at my school a couple of months ago, and I raced to read her book. I want to pursue a meaningful career in foreign service like hers, and she illuminates the path.

• Winner
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon is delightful.

I have two more finals to knock out this week, and then once my head emerges from above the sea of stress I plan to read On the Come Up by Angie Thomas. She is the author of one of my most beloved books of all time, The Hate U Give. I feel like I could implode from excitement because I cannot wait to read it.

If you haven't read Education by Tara Westover yet, you absolutely must!

For non-fiction, Ronan Farrow's Catch and Kill is extraordinary, though it punches your heart and will set a fire of fury in your mind at how sexual assault victims were treated by some of the most powerful and prominent in society, and more infuriating, the elaborate measures taken to protect the perpetrators and gaslight the victims. Know My Name by Channel Miller, who was previously known as Emily Doe during the prosecution of Brock Turner "the Stanford Rapist" for sexually assaulting her, is also exquisitely written, beautiful, enraging, and heartbreaking, but most of us inspiring because she has a star of hope within her that never fades. I am so incredibly proud of her. I cried so much reading these books I kept tissues on hand. The Education of an Idealist by former Ambassador to the UN Samantha Power is also phenomenal. She spoke at my school a couple of months ago, and I raced to read her book. I want to pursue a meaningful career in foreign service like hers, and she illuminates the path.

Thank you!!! They don't have a peacock on here which I know is your favourite but I know you love frogs too so here is your thank u frog: :frogface: :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I finally read Educated by Tara Westover. It was amazing. It was def. worth all the praise that ppl have given to it.

It's a memoir about this woman growing up in a fundamentalist, homeschooling family that shuns education, modern medicine. She was psychologically & physically abused by her family. They're anti-doctors, anti-vaxxers, anti-women becoming strong & independent. But that's exactly what she became. She fought for her education. She earned it. She went to BYU and did well there. One of her profs really believed in her. She had a preacher who believed in her too, he had a healthy mindset about religion & it tipped the balance in her mind. She went to Cambridge in England & to Harvard. She got her PhD. It was a really powerful & inspiring book.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I'm a big fan of "If on a winter's night a traveller" by Italo Calvino. Very funny, weird and amazing book.

Funny, weird & amazing is totally what I'm looking for in a book. :D Thx for the recommendation!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums