Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The longer I’ve been Orthodox the more I’ve enjoyed it, and I have loved every minute.

The longer I've been a real Orthodox (as opposed to the pretensions of the BCC) I am coming to learn how much I have yet to learn of Orthodoxy. There appears to be a deep mindset I struggle with on certain issues, and while I know that for the safety of my own soul I MUST obey the Church in all things, I find myself having questions that appear to come from my days as a Protestant.

At the same time, I find myself going deeper into things that matter because my parish has made them available. My last church had no Vespers, no Orthros, no praying the Hours . . . nothing. And these things are medicine I need for my soul. I am very thankful for my parish, my priest and deacon, and my good friends at St. Marys!

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The longer I've been a real Orthodox (as opposed to the pretensions of the BCC) I am coming to learn how much I have yet to learn of Orthodoxy.
and it never stops, which is awesome

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
What is the BCC?

Byzantine Rite Catholics, such as the Ruthenian Greek Catholic Church, the Melkite Catholic Church, and so on, who use the Byzantine liturgy like the Eastern Orthodox but are in communion with and subordinate to the Pope. They used to be called Uniates but this word I am told has a negative connotation now among many of them.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Byzantine Rite Catholics, such as the Ruthenian Greek Catholic Church, the Melkite Catholic Church, and so on, who use the Byzantine liturgy like the Eastern Orthodox but are in communion with and subordinate to the Pope. They used to be called Uniates but this word I am told has a negative connotation now among many of them.

Uniates? Yeah, many Orthodox spit when they use that word. Not a good history there.

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
indeed, a lot of bad blood

Indeed, that is why I refer to them as Byzantine Rite Catholics or Greek Catholics. And I do like the various Greek Catholic churches a great deal, and my experience is there is a sincerity among their clergy, that they see themselves increasingly as being in the Catholic Church so as to give it access to the beautiful theology of Eastern Christianity.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Indeed, that is why I refer to them as Byzantine Rite Catholics or Greek Catholics. And I do like the various Greek Catholic churches a great deal, and my experience is there is a sincerity among their clergy, that they see themselves increasingly as being in the Catholic Church so as to give it access to the beautiful theology of Eastern Christianity.
for me it depends on who I am talking to.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
for me it depends on who I am talking to.

Indeed, I agree; I tend to describe the most positive ideal I have experienced but there are invariably departures from this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 22, 2010
✟9,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello. I'm curious about Orthodoxy. What are non-Orthodox required to believe/do to become Orthodox? Are there any beliefs outside of the Creeds that are required for someone to become a member and receive the Lord's Supper?

In the Roman Catholic tradition, my understanding is that a person must agree to all Catholic church dogma to be in good standing and receive the Eucharist, in addition to confessing one's sins, being baptized, etc.
I joined about 14 yrs ago, and I was brought up Roman Catholic. It is basically the same, but I went through several months of weekly teachings and was brought in, my Christimation with 5 others the Saturday before Pascha.

Upvote 0