Zipadee

Mar 28, 2016
Michigan
✟17,684.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Does it pose hypothetical scenarios that people in that profession might come across? If so, what's the oddest predicament and appropriate response they give?

It is mostly informational, definitions and things. There are some "Think about it" type sections with scenarios, but they don't provide specific answers and are more to promote the reader thinking about the way they would handle an ethically challenging situation.

Currently I have to write a reflective response paper about a case study involving a nurse caring for a patient with severe burns covering 60% of his body. The patient's pain is uncontrolled and his dressing changes are agony for him. The patient requests no further treatment. The patient is competent and understands that his prognosis without treatment is not favorable. The doctor insists on treating him anyway because he can save the patient and in the past other patients have thanked him for providing treatment when they said they didn't want it. As the patient's nurse, what do you do?

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is mostly informational, definitions and things. There are some "Think about it" type sections with scenarios, but they don't provide specific answers and are more to promote the reader thinking about the way they would handle an ethically challenging situation.

Currently I have to write a reflective response paper about a case study involving a nurse caring for a patient with severe burns covering 60% of his body. The patient's pain is uncontrolled and his dressing changes are agony for him. The patient requests no further treatment. The patient is competent and understands that his prognosis without treatment is not favorable. The doctor insists on treating him anyway because he can save the patient and in the past other patients have thanked him for providing treatment when they said they didn't want it. As the patient's nurse, what do you do?
Hmm. What have you come up with so far?

Upvote 0

Zipadee

Mar 28, 2016
Michigan
✟17,684.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hmm. What have you come up with so far?
I just got the assignment today. We have to state our position and use the nursing code of ethics and ethical principles to back our position and to refute the opposition. It would be easy to argue patient autonomy in this case since the man was deemed competent and understands the consequences of his choice.

Last week we had to argue whether or not family members should be allowed to stay with their loved one in the event of cardiac arrest initiation of CPR.

The textbook itself is a little dry but the assignments have been thought provoking so far and overall I would say it's been a good class.

Upvote 0

Swords&Sunflowers

May 10, 2018
✟176,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

Ah scenarios like that are challenging. You are faced with 3 ethical dillemas pt autonomy versus beneficence versus nonmaleficence. Include somewhere in your answers: pain management first, involve ethics commitee and if all else fails palliative care consult. But mostly looks like it's more of his uncontrolled pain, if that gets addressed, he'll more likely agree to tx (maslow's hierarchy of needs).

Reactions: Zipadee
Upvote 0

name_is_irrelevant

Jun 16, 2018
Farton
✟6,276.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I definitely enjoy H.P. Lovecraft. Been reading him since me teens. Some of my favorites are Call of Cthulhu, At the Mountains of Madness, Shadow Out Of Time, The Dunwich Horror and Dreams in the Witch House

I like The Silver Key, The Shunned House, and Colour Out Of Space. The whole dreamy-surreal atmosphere of his work appeals to me, I hear that he was inspired by Dunsany a lot so might look into his work as well.

Upvote 0

Zipadee

Mar 28, 2016
Michigan
✟17,684.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Ah scenarios like that are challenging. You are faced with 3 ethical dillemas pt autonomy versus beneficence versus nonmaleficence. Include somewhere in your answers: pain management first, involve ethics commitee and if all else fails palliative care consult. But mostly looks like it's more of his uncontrolled pain, if that gets addressed, he'll more likely agree to tx (maslow's hierarchy of needs).

I think my instructors anticipated this as they included that it's given pain management is lacking but we are to address the ethical dilemma, not treatment interventions.

Those were the 3 ethical principles I chose. We also have to cite 2-3 provisions from the ANA code of ethics and 2 ethical theories. Woo woo.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Swords&Sunflowers

May 10, 2018
✟176,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I think my instructors anticipated this as they included that it's given pain management is lacking but we are to address the ethical dilemma, not treatment interventions.

Those were the 3 ethical principles I chose. We also have to cite 2-3 provisions from the ANA code of ethics and 2 ethical theories. Woo woo.

You can do this! (Lol i didn't enjoy doing those kinds of papers, but mostly because of APA).

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

Zipadee

Mar 28, 2016
Michigan
✟17,684.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You can do this! (Lol i didn't enjoy doing those kinds of papers, but mostly because of APA).

I loathe papers. And APA. So clearly deciding to continue my education and take all online courses was a good call, ha ha. It's all papers and APA all the time :joycat:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just finished The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Despite it winning awards and being adapted into a film, I thought it was only good. The plot and movement were not anything spectacular, but I thought the way he actually wrote it made it very worthwhile to finish. /thumbsup

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I read Peter Akroyd's history of Tudor England. Very good book. I will have to check out the history up to Tudor England
It's very well written and has good details. I look forward to reading about the Tutors. A very fascinating time. I can't wait to get to the part in the book about the Viking invasions :D

Reactions: Sif
Upvote 0